+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Saint/ formation

The Saint/ formation

I love the Saint and hAve since his friendly debut...despite his stop/start season hes really kicked on from last...what a player! I hope we can keep ahold of him!

Now..I think his best position is wide left, no matter what he says...however, I don't think we should change the current formation...
    Ritchie and Murphy are supplying crosses but also plenty of energy...
    So I would just replace Gayle and Jo with Wilson and the Saint, so okay...a slight change..more of a 3421..

Anybody disagree?

I must reiterate that I mean for the rest of the season not going forward when we hopefully get rid of cabbage head!

I onestly don't know where his best position is but, for the rest of the season, I'd give him a free role behind Wilson.

Teams don't know how to handle him and if he's playing between the lines then he's harder to pick up and harder to deal with. As for next season, I'd be hugely surprised if Bruce stays that he's still with us by the end of the Summer window.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I onestly don't know where his best position is but, for the rest of the season, I'd give him a free role behind Wilson.

Teams don't know how to handle him and if he's playing between the lines then he's harder to pick up and harder to deal with. As for next season, I'd be hugely surprised if Bruce stays that he's still with us by the end of the Summer window.
    Agree with you there Zip. That's the beauty of a player playing like that. The opposing defence doesn't know where he's going to pop up and difficult to mark and defend against. A bit like Pedro could be on song.

I kinda agree...the few times he was played "up front" this season he was easily marked by the Centre backs, his strength is running from a deeper position...but a free role alongside Miggy behind Wilson...gotta be the way!

Let him do what he wants where he wants. He doesn't have the biggest bag of tricks but when he applies them at pace, he scrambles up different defenders in different ways. So he makes something happen and, for all his faults, Almiron is relentlessly going forward so with them two, we have some type of threat. We need Wilson on the pitch as well to apply the finishing touch (didn't need him today, mind).

Formation doesn't matter anywhere near as much as fitness does.

If these fellas can stay fit and get enough minutes on the pitch without getting re-injured - still suspect Sam Maximus is struggle with Covid fitness too - we have a chance.

Some good shouts here.

Like I said on another thread, I'd have him out wide (left or right) because regardless he will make moves into the middle of the pitch to try and create a stir and setup chances for himself and his teammates. He's not a traditional winger in that sense, but he's not exactly a traditional central attacking midfielder either. He's a combo of all that + a forward who can take on a player and take a qualified shot at goal.

We don't have any other players who can do that, except maybe Willock to a certain degree. So I'd have him behind Wilson as a more classic attacking midfielder, who can also go deeper and set up play from the central midfield.

Like this idea. Carrying the ball from the halfway line seems to be what we need under our current tactical chaos. Specially if Wilson is fit.

But really, a player like him can do it all in the final 3rd. Its really how we fit in the rest of the team to support him and make sure he stays healthy. I'd use him sparingly in the next 5 games though until he is up to speed (20, 30, 30, 45, 45 then 90 minutes in the last 2 games).

Definitely agree with the above - he could have a huge impact as a sub over the next few games and hopefully it’ll minimise his risk of injury.

I think he is better in a free role. If Bruceasaurus sticks him on the left wing it’s easy for teams to isolate him by putting two defenders in him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    I think he is better in a free role. If Bruceasaurus sticks him on the left wing it’s easy for teams to isolate him by putting two defenders in him.
    Which could then create space for Willock and Wilson. I think Max will always have two defenders on him, regardless of where he plays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)