+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Forest Green Rovers Maybe About To Appoint Female Manager

Forest Green Rovers Maybe About To Appoint Female Manager

Following the sacking of Mark Cooper last monday .

What do think , is this a potential publicity stunt or could there be a female manager the best candidate for the job ?

What's your thoughts on this happening .

https://www.theguardian.com/football...female-manager

Just fannying abart ! Wats next stunt tha pull ? Goowin green , eytin grass , veggie burgers or evvin a strip made arta bamboo ? Good luck to em ,,,

I think they've got the wrong end of the stick. Somebody's told them that we've been very successful by appointing a manager called Val....

To answer the question seriously; just get the best person for the job would be my advice to them.

There are many examples of footballers who didn't have fantastic careers but went on to become top class coaches and managers .

So clearly we can discount the need to have great playing ability as it's fair to say there aren't any great female footballers if you compare them to male footballers , they are only great in the women's game .

Much the same way you don't have to have had a heart transplant as a surgeon to be able to perform the procedure on a patient .

When you dig down in to it the only barrier is actually stigma and the fact no female as ever managed a professional football club in this country as far as I'm aware .

Now don't get me wrong I get sick and tired of having all things minority getting rammed down my throat and I'm dead against box ticking recruitments .

However if a female impressed me enough at interview , had a credible coaching background and you felt a football connection then would the fact she's a female really be an issue ?

It wouldn't be an issue with a male who hadn't played football at a high level .

Totally agree that a footballer who's played at a high level doesn't necessarily make a good manager; as you say there are many examples of this.

I work as an engineer, which when I started work in the 80s, was a male dominated profession. Nowadays, the balance is shifting in both science and engineering. For the last couple of years I've been mentoring 3 young female graduates. They are qualified from an education point of view i.e. they have the necessary degree qualifications. I have seen differences between them and the young lads that I've mentored in the past. They're not as practical, not as good at linking theory to practice, not as 'confident'. But they have other attributes in which they excel over the males; very good at detail, no matter how boring the job is that you give them they will follow it through and finish it to the best of their ability. Females also listen to advice and take it on board much better than their male counterparts. This brings a good mix of talents to the workplace and, in my opinion, is a real benefit to the company. So maybe a mix of females and males in the club management structure, each bringing their different attributes to the job, would result in a far more effective and successful management team. One thing's for sure; someone will try it one day and I wouldn't be surprised if they found success. However, one word of caution. Currently, the female coaches in football just do not have the same amount of experience as their male counterparts, and that's just down to the male game being more dominant historically, so I'd expect any changes to be a slow process.

Melissa Murphy is quietly doing a fantastic job as Chief Operations Officer in the Barnsley FC Academy. She has made the newly created job her own after facing strong competition in the interviews for the post. She combines this with a half share in D&M Football Consultants with her partner Dane.
    I would say there is Barnsley FC's new Head Coach when Ismael leaves for Crystal Palace. Only Beth Sefton could do a better job, like she does with everything else at the club.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 13-04-2021 at 03:27 PM.

"Gerrin weshtub"- Howard Bro's response to a female council worker offering him alternative accommodation

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    "Gerrin weshtub"- Howard Bro's response to a female council worker offering him alternative accommodation

Loved that scene.

"Gorruz orn Hens" " gorruz orn eggs , Wat Moor do Wi want " " it's are ooham an Wi moving forward nubdy " " and you gerrin weshtub ya nowt burra bairn"