+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Relegation or Survival??

I think you're all wrong about Rotherham, look elsewhere for the bottom 3

Question for y'all. We clearly lack quality, and maybe just one legend from the past could get us out of this clag. Maybe we'd swap Shinnie for the God that is Archie Gemmill. Maybe Steve Powell, who was never found wanting, could replace Wisdom to good effect, and Steve Buckley would defo be a shoe-in over any current fullback. Maybe Paul Futcher would improve on Matt Clarke, and for sure Kevin Wwilson and everyone's hero Bobby Davison would get the nod over CKR and Waghorn.

Would you take any one of these over our current shower, or maybe all of them?

Because....

This bunch of legends was the core of the team that got us relegated in 83-84

Tend to agree Andy, yes it will be difficult with so many games but they are well used to battling at the bottom! A great win tonight that will give them extra energy and momentum.
    If they survive then well done to them and if it's at our expense so be it, we will have no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Rovrum winning 2-1!
    Won 3-1 but at least Huddersfield and Wednesday lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Question for y'all. We clearly lack quality, and maybe just one legend from the past could get us out of this clag. Maybe we'd swap Shinnie for the God that is Archie Gemmill. Maybe Steve Powell, who was never found wanting, could replace Wisdom to good effect, and Steve Buckley would defo be a shoe-in over any current fullback. Maybe Paul Futcher would improve on Matt Clarke, and for sure Kevin Wwilson and everyone's hero Bobby Davison would get the nod over CKR and Waghorn.

Would you take any one of these over our current shower, or maybe all of them?

Because....

This bunch of legends was the core of the team that got us relegated in 83-84
    Talking of how things might have been...and so easily could...how much more confident would we all feel with the likes of Hughes, Bielik, Keogh, Marriott, Huddlestone, Jerome and Martin available?

Doesn’t get us anywhere I know but if Bielik hadn’t turned into Thorne Mk II, Keogh hadn’t stayed late at the Joiners, Huddlestone hadn’t seen £ signs (allegedly) and Marriott had stayed fit we’d be home and hosed. Add to that the money we got/saved on Hughes and Martin and have we really saved anything after spending on the various attempts at replacements?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Talking of how things might have been...and so easily could...how much more confident would we all feel with the likes of Hughes, Bielik, Keogh, Marriott, Huddlestone, Jerome and Martin available?

Doesn’t get us anywhere I know but if Bielik hadn’t turned into Thorne Mk II, Keogh hadn’t stayed late at the Joiners, Huddlestone hadn’t seen £ signs (allegedly) and Marriott had stayed fit we’d be home and hosed. Add to that the money we got/saved on Hughes and Martin and have we really saved anything after spending on the various attempts at replacements?
    If Jack Taylor hadn't given Nish offside, if Gary O'Neill hadn't stuck his leg out at Johnny Russell, life and football are full of ifs. we've been dealt the hand we have, I think WR gave us the impression he was better than he is, there has to be something wrong in the coaching/motivational skills of our current management if a team can go from a Cocuist style to a more traditional EFL style and back to Cocuist in such a short time

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    If Jack Taylor hadn't given Nish offside, if Gary O'Neill hadn't stuck his leg out at Johnny Russell, life and football are full of ifs. we've been dealt the hand we have, I think WR gave us the impression he was better than he is, there has to be something wrong in the coaching/motivational skills of our current management if a team can go from a Cocuist style to a more traditional EFL style and back to Cocuist in such a short time
    Of course...and I did say in my post, ‘it doesn’t get us anywhere I know’...but, Bielik apart, unlike the incidents you refer to, the ones I am mentioning are more recent and are matters that the club should have had control over.

I’ve always thought we made a huge mistake over Cameron Jerome, I think the handling of Marriott has been poor throughout, the handling of and by Huddlestone a year ago was flawed on both sides but we’ve never replaced his talent for distribution, and going back a little further...the Will Hughes I’ve seen over the last twelve months or so looks as if he’d easily make the grade at a bigger club. We all recognised his potential at Derby but he looks a class above now and that, I suspect, is down to better coaching and allowing him to play to his strengths.

Too many mistakes, has ultimately led to us being bottom of the table, in debt with no ground looking to get saved by a new investor, under transfer embargo with the risk of points deduction, with a rookie manager given the keys for 2.5 years owing to his name, and a bunch of kids doing their best in hopeless circumstances.

We're in a pretty sorry state, even if we do avoid the drop.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Too many mistakes, has ultimately led to us being bottom of the table, in debt with no ground looking to get saved by a new investor, under transfer embargo with the risk of points deduction, with a rookie manager given the keys for 2.5 years owing to his name, and a bunch of kids doing their best in hopeless circumstances.

We're in a pretty sorry state, even if we do avoid the drop.
    Succinct and to the point!
    Years of misguided overseeing of how a football club in the Championship should be run has led us to a situation where, IMO, desperate measures are being pursued to 'save' both the club and it's owner! However, the immediate goal is to somehow avoid further damage that relegation will inflict! At this moment in time one has to wonder in all seriousness and without rancour whether or not we can avoid the big drop! Unless Wayne can conjure up some creativity and goals then it's back to 'are there three clubs who can be kind enough to save our skins and take the drop for us'?
    What a situation to be in!!

Get back on the front foot. Press and harry the oppo into errors rather than letting them do it to us is, IMO, the simple answer.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)