+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team v Solihull

Team v Solihull

It's a hopeless task at the moment trying to think of a (likely) team that could get us a win.

As most fans have identified, the main problem is in midfield. We've had poor performances there week after week.
    Doyle at nigh on 40 is still our 2nd best central midfielder (saying we're not sure what Rodders is any more after this season's managerial cock-ups). Assuming Reeves plays and Doyle isn't ready yet, who do you pick? My answer - nobody. Let's stop going into games with no more than 9 decent players. This time stop picking on positional labels and just put our best available defenders and attackers out there. Desperate and no chance of happening, but here it is

.................Slocombe
    .....Rawlinson Ellis Lacey
    Kelly-Evans Reeves Chicksen (or Barnett)
    .........Boldewijn Rodrigues
    .... Knowles Wootton

Barnett? He can take his neck tattoo home with him. Awful.

Are you trying to make the gap between defence and attack even bigger with your team selection?
    Last edited by queenslandpie; 13-04-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Barnett? He can take his neck tattoo home with him. Awful.

Are you trying to make the gap between defence and attack even bigger with your team selection?
    Whatever way you look at Notts at the moment it is littered with frailties. The midfield is horrendously short of athleticism, pace or power. And it is showing the deeper in to this season we go.

For me Boldwijn can only play if we go 4-4-2 or 3-2-3-2 (my choice). Given the current head coaches liking of the 3-5-2 system I can’t see much deviation. Maybe 3-4-3. I also think that the 3 at the back don’t all need to be out and out CB’s - though we are limited with options.
    At the moment with the players available I would go gung ho
    Slocombe
    Ellis/Lacey/Rawlinson
    DKE/Reeves (holding CM’s)
    Boldwijn/ Rodders / Sam (advanced play makers)
    Wootton / Knowles

Best form of defence is attack. Go for the jugular and lose 5-0.

........,,,,,,,,,,Slocombe.............

DKE..... Rawlinson .....Ellis..... Chicksen

Enzio.....OBrien.....Rodrigues.....Miller

......... Wootton.... Knowles.......

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post

I wouldn't mind that lineup at all, certainly worth a shout but I suspect 4-4-effing-2 might be a tad trad for our new head coach. It would be great to see Miller in his better more attacking role and Rodrigues needs utilising. Might be better to push Rodrigues into the 10 role in a 4-3-1-2, although he could alternate depending on whether we have the ball or not.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 13-04-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Whatever way you look at Notts at the moment it is littered with frailties. The midfield is horrendously short of athleticism, pace or power. And it is showing the deeper in to this season we go.

For me Boldwijn can only play if we go 4-4-2 or 3-2-3-2 (my choice). Given the current head coaches liking of the 3-5-2 system I can’t see much deviation. Maybe 3-4-3. I also think that the 3 at the back don’t all need to be out and out CB’s - though we are limited with options.
    At the moment with the players available I would go gung ho
    Slocombe
    Ellis/Lacey/Rawlinson
    DKE/Reeves (holding CM’s)
    Boldwijn/ Rodders / Sam (advanced play makers)
    Wootton / Knowles

Best form of defence is attack. Go for the jugular and lose 5-0.
    People are still defending a manager who lost 11/12 games with a team that then stayed up after he left. Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    People are still defending a manager who lost 11/12 games with a team that then stayed up after he left. Odd.
    Which one are they defending? I've lost track.

Don't dislike that team either, but no chance unfortunately.
    Based only on the 5 games he has had IB doesn't seem a big fan of DKE or Miller, and conversly seems to like Reeves and Barnett..
    We await with interest. COYP

Way too sensible! I agree though - Rodrigues must start to give us some creativity, Enzio has to be restored to a more forward role.

I think the only thing we differ on is Reeves - I still think he could be decent in the right set-up.

COYP!

Whichever formation we go with will expose flaws in the team: 4-4-2 means we have two slow centre halves, and have yet to find the forward who can play alongside Kyle Wootton. 3-5-2 gives us the same problem up front and can easily become 5-3-2, so we don’t get enough players in the opposition half. 4-3-3 has yet to work and produced a nightmarish performance against the mighty Aldershot, with the midfield a major problem. And 4-2-3-1 risks leaving Wootton isolated, but would probably be my preferred option.

We need six points from tonight and Saturday, then can enjoy a rare midweek off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast