+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Fullarton

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Fullarton's only hope of survival might have been if he had possessed more personal charm and a bit of humility, which might have bought him more time with the fans, especially if his handling of the whole Stanley Aborah situation had been better.
    The Stanley Aborah situation is one of the few things I think Fullarton got right.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    He was an utterly ludicrous appointment for us rather than an awful manager, so we don't really know how bad he is. He did an ok job at Halifax, winning more games than he lost. However, the abiding memory for Notts fans will always be him ending up flat on his arse when trying to control the ball in the technical area! That was the biggest cheer he ever got, and I must admit to joining in, but on a human level I did feel a bit bad about it later. Back then, Ray Trew deserved the jeers rather than Jamie Fullarton.
    You're semi-correct about the appointment in my opinion.

Fullarton WAS a grown up when he was offered and accepted the job. He also applied for it in the first place (unless Ray just grabbed him off the street and made him take the job). Both parties were culpable for different reasons. Fullarton should have acknowledged his own limitations and not taken the role, even though he had been offered it. I feel no sadness towards him, in fact I think he was a fool with a huge ego.

On Trew's part, we will never know exactly why he offered the job to Fullarton. It could have been to save a few quid or there could have been other reasons - we will never know, but it was a monumental balls up.

However I see Fullarton's appointment in a different way. There are many football club owners who have appointed managers who they feel have the experience and therefore have a good chance of doing the job well. After a few months, the manager fails and gets the sack. I think Trew was trying something different and took a punt on an untried manager. He soon realised it wasn't working.

Trew wasn't the first and won't be the last. In fact there seems to be a move towards appointing managers who DON'T have a successful record, but instead have the 'qualification'. Again, I feel this is of detriment to English football and personality in the game. Most of these 'qualified' coaches have little or no personality and it is reflected in the type of football their teams play.
    Last edited by Lullapie; 15-04-2021 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    He was forced at gun point to take it on then? That RT guy is not one to be menaced with, or maybe Poundpie lured him on.

You know, some people are sensible enough to understand their limitations. He wasn't one of them. Sorry no sympathy from me.
    Brilliant point Old Pie - I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    On Trew's part, we will never know exactly why he offered the job to Fullarton. It could have been to save a few quid or there could have been other reasons - we will never know, but it was a monumental balls up.
    Pretty sure it was his wife who made that decision, I was under the strong impression that she was basically running the club by that stage with Rodwell gone and Ray no longer caring anymore having become thoroughly deflated with his last real attempt to reignite the club with the Ladbrokes deal and his appointment of Moniz failing to halt the slide after we'd dropped back into tier 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Ah, so the Sir Stanley love-in is still going strong! There was a very good reason - Aborah was a gutless show pony who contributed next to nothing. If you're still in doubt, look at his career after Nolan rightly binned him.
    Regardless of your personal opinion of Aborah or his career before or after Notts, or even before or after Moniz, Stanley Aborah was very clearly a fan favourite and fans wanted him on the pitch. Maybe you were sat on your hands furious or writing Fullerton a letter of thanks for not playing him, but the majority of Meadow Lane was singing the blokes name when he wasn't even on the pitch no matter how you want to rewrite history, at the time he was definitely a fan favourite, that's not up for debate, in my opinion (which like yours, is irellevant as I'm not going to argue) was up there with Jon Stead and on paper, even though he didn't deliver, Izale McLeod as our best player.

No doubt you'll ignore the first 90% of that and just be flabbergasted at the mere thought of Aborah being one of our best players but it's not like there was a great deal of competition if you look back at that squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Think your deluded , or just change the facts to suit what you believe

Fullarton turned the best attacking side we had since Munto, into a team with 1 shot in 3 games??

Absolute rubbish, Notts County were 21st in the table when Fullarton arrived, hardly a team with the best attack as you state ,and there were off the field issues, with Trew standing down and putting the club up for sale, and the chief executive also leaving his position
    Fullarton had to deal with worse circumstances than Ardley, yet over 12 games, actually did better than Ardley. Yet the witch hunt for Fullarton, and sticking with Ardley for 2 and a half seasons , MADNESS
    Only one person is suffering from delusion here.

Moniz was sacked after a 2-2 draw with Morecambe and we were 15th in the table, however, you could tell me Notts were bottom of the league for all i care, the football under Moniz was the best in years, we just couldn't buy a win away from home and Trew pulled the trigger early because he was too impatient and eager for us to get back to League One at the first attempt.

Fullerton was appointed on the 10th of January where, since Moniz had gone we'd dropped one whole position to 16th so you seem to have just plucked 21st out of thin air.

In our 12 home games under Moniz we scored 24 goals and scored 4 in 3 different games.

Under Fullerton we had 5 home games (0W 1D 4L), we didn't score a single goal in the first 4 of them and then scored one against Exeter, where we lost 4-1 and he was sacked shortly after thank f*ck.

Fullerton's win percentage at Notts was 25% by the way.

Allardyce was the Notts manager when I made my first trip to Meadow Lane and from that point until now I'm hard pressed to think of anyone worse than Fullerton other than maybe Carl Heggs but I'm not sure he even counts, there's certainly no other manager that comes close to him as far as being dislikable.

--

As for "stuff going on behind the scenes" it was a sh*t show behind the scenes for Fullerton and Ardley, not really sure it's worth comparing Ray Trew losing his chief exec and wanting to sell the club with Alan Hardy getting his d*ck out on social media, running his company in to the ground and also wanting to sell the club with the threat of it going out of existence. Both were dealt a sh*t hand but Neal Ardley has more professionalism in his little toe than Fullerton ever showed imo.

I'll close by paraphrasing a manager far superior to Jamie Fullerton

"If Fullerton was on fire, I'd dial 998"

Freeman on absolute fire. Great stuff.

How your view Moniz is very much dependent on how many away games you went to. If it was mainly home games then it was very entertaining and productive. If it involved plenty of away games it was a very different story. Although once again it's premature, it's also his stubbornness not to change that got him sacked.

Stanley was indeed a fan favourite and rightly so, he was a little overrated by the Kop in my opinion but as mentioned above he was so much better than some of the players he lined up with. He was at times a joy to watch hence the fan favourite.

And finally, delighted to see "stuff going on behind the scenes" being highlighted as it has a big impact on what happens on the pitch during those 90 mins, even if people on here desperately try not to acknowledge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Regardless of your personal opinion of Aborah or his career before or after Notts, or even before or after Moniz, Stanley Aborah was very clearly a fan favourite and fans wanted him on the pitch. Maybe you were sat on your hands furious or writing Fullerton a letter of thanks for not playing him, but the majority of Meadow Lane was singing the blokes name when he wasn't even on the pitch no matter how you want to rewrite history, at the time he was definitely a fan favourite, that's not up for debate, in my opinion (which like yours, is irellevant as I'm not going to argue) was up there with Jon Stead and on paper, even though he didn't deliver, Izale McLeod as our best player.

No doubt you'll ignore the first 90% of that and just be flabbergasted at the mere thought of Aborah being one of our best players but it's not like there was a great deal of competition if you look back at that squad.

I honestly won't ignore anything or be flabbergasted. I agree with some of what you say, but also disagree with some. Was Aborah a fan's favourite? Definitley yes, and I wouldn't argue with that for a second. Was he worth his place? Definitely no in my opinion. I saw some good in him under Moniz, but when Moniz was prematurely and undeservedly sacked Aborah threw his toys out of the pram. He was a waste of a shirt after Moniz had gone, all we saw were a few party tricks on the halfway line and nothing in terms of playing for the team. What really turned me against him was the pathetic stage managed appearance I witnessed at the back of the Pavis stand after a game he didn't feature in. A few fans asked "Why aren't you playing Stanley?". His reply was a beaming smile and "Maybe the manager doesn't like me". It became a personal battle between him and Fullarton, and for all his other shortcomings it's a battle I'm glad Fullarton managed to win. When Nolan binned Aborah, he was very diplomatic and said something like "He's a lovely guy, but he just doesn't show me what I want to see in training". If you look at his overall contribution at Notts (1 goal and 1 assist) and his career after he left us, I think Nolan was really saying what I've repeatedly said - Stanley Aborah was a gutless show pony.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Freeman on absolute fire. Great stuff.

How your view Moniz is very much dependent on how many away games you went to. If it was mainly home games then it was very entertaining and productive. If it involved plenty of away games it was a very different story. Although once again it's premature, it's also his stubbornness not to change that got him sacked.

Stanley was indeed a fan favourite and rightly so, he was a little overrated by the Kop in my opinion but as mentioned above he was so much better than some of the players he lined up with. He was at times a joy to watch hence the fan favourite.

And finally, delighted to see "stuff going on behind the scenes" being highlighted as it has a big impact on what happens on the pitch during those 90 mins, even if people on here desperately try not to acknowledge it.
    Aborah was one of the most frustrating players I have seen at Notts. Without doubt skilful, but no end product. The stats after he left us speak for themselves - only 28 more games, leaving Portsmouth after 4 appearances.

Aborah's Magpie Circle interview is worth a watch for those who haven't. It is on YouTube in two parts totalling about 2 hours, so you can imagine quite a lot was said...

Last edited by SwalePie; 16-04-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast