+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Fullarton

Without doubt overrated but don't forget what he was playing alongside. When I play weekly 5-a-side football with mates I put loads of effort in every game I love it but not am I limited. I wouldn't want anyone to pay to watch me play.

Some of the players he was playing with weren't frustrating they were just crap, they couldn't do the basics but they tried. Yay! It's the only reason he was a fan favourite IMO because he could do some of the basics far better than the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Aborah was one of the most frustrating players I have seen at Notts. Without doubt skilful, but no end product. The stats after he left us speak for themselves - only 28 more games, leaving Portsmouth after 4 appearances.
    Aborah was definitely one of the best players I've seen in terms of close control, but one of the worst I've seen in terms of overall contribution. He always reminded me of the ball-juggler we had in the Munto season. His close control was the best I've ever seen at Meadow Lane - he could lie on his back while keeping a tennis ball in the air with his feet and taking his shirt off!!! His skills were incredible, but for whatever reason he couldn't hack it in the proper game. Aborah should have followed the same career path, because he was infinitely more suited to showcasing his skills without pressure rather than actually putting in a tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    It's the only reason he was a fan favourite IMO because he could do some of the basics far better than the rest.
    I suppose it all depends what you see "the basics" as. His close control was way above League 2 standard, but his workrate and application was way below pub standard.

I would much rather watch a limited player who gives 100% than a more naturally gifted player who just can't be arsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I suppose it all depends what you see "the basics" as. His close control was way above League 2 standard, but his workrate and application was way below pub standard.

I would much rather watch a limited player who gives 100% than a more naturally gifted player who just can't be arsed.
    It's very lucky you are a Notts fan then, we've had plenty go 100%ers with very limited ability.

His application was p!as poor but his passing, strength, close control was championship level. Never seen a player look like he could lose the ball in a very dangerous position just in front of our area with opponents surrounding him but never actually lose it. Impressive stuff.

His application was p!as poor but his passing, strength, close control was championship level. Never seen a player look like he could lose the ball in a very dangerous position just in front of our area with opponents surrounding him but never actually lose it. Impressive stuff.
    Impressive stuff if you are blind to his failings and only see the good bits. His tricks were undoubtedly impressive, but they didn't always come off and he definitely did sometimes lose the ball in his own half. I would love it if some stats man were able to tell us, but my guess would be that he created more chances for the opposition than he ever did for us.

I wasn't blind to his failings at all, he was overrated like I said earlier. However he also wasn't anywhere near the worst player on the pitch during that period. Not even close. That's why he was undoubty a fan favourite with the Kop.

As you will remember he played really deep, bottom of a diamond in front of the back four. He was basically in the quarterback position , and the vast majority of his passes were short, forward to teammates in his own half. That will limit the number of assists for any player, stats don't tell the whole story.

As you have already admitted what you saw at the back of the Pavis Stand has clearly coloured your view ever since.

As you have already admitted what you saw at the back of the Pavis Stand has clearly coloured your view ever since.
    Wrong. It defined my view rather than coloured it.

It merely vindicated everything I was thinking at the time.

It's a game of opinions, and I'm very confident that the vast majority of Notts fans would say he wasn't the worst player on the pitch whenever he played.

That's not a compliment of Stanley btw, it just sums up perfectly the squads he played in.

It's a game of opinions, and I'm very confident that the vast majority of Notts fans would say he wasn't the worst player on the pitch whenever he played.

That's not a compliment of Stanley btw, it just sums up perfectly the squads he played in.
    Very apt. Saying "he wasn't the worst player on the pitch" is the highest praise he deserves!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Very apt. Saying "he wasn't the worst player on the pitch" is the highest praise he deserves!
    It's true though isn't it? Surely with you rating him so lowly that says all you need to know about the first XI at the time.

He was often one of our best performers on show hence being a 'fans favourite'. That's how it usually works. The better performing players are often popular with supporters as he undoubtedly was.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast