+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD -is this the End Game?

SD -is this the End Game?

Despite the recent run of defeats (capitulation would be more correct) at the hands of both
    Southampton and Newcastle; are we also beginning to witness the decline of and departure
    of Sean Dyche?
    In the past, the media has listened to and taken note of his measured response;more
    recently however his approach is beginning to sound like a “stuck record”
    Whilst I am no lover of Leeds United, I felt his latest remark regarding the spending there
    was inappropriate.
    Prior to that we have had VAR,DIVING and PENALTIES.
    Personally I am now beginning to find it all embarrassing as sections of the media appear to
    be turning against him.
    Whatever the outcome of the 2021 season I feel he is now preparing the ground for his
    departure.
    There will be those who (if he does depart) will be like Fraser in Dad's Army “we are all
    doomed”
    Similar reactions happened when Coyle “The Messiah” departed for Bolton and we all know
    what happened there!
    I cannot argue with the manager's record and his achievements, but in all honesty have we
    really evolved since the promotion from the championship?
    The style of play we developed has remained constant and less entertaining minus the likes
    of Barton and Gray (never replaced with similar players)
    Against Everton, we bore no resemblance to our last two outings demonstrating the type of
    football we can play-defending higher up the field with momentum and aggression and lots
    of style - so what happened after that?
    I am not suggesting that we suddenly find a 200 Million pound money pit, but individuals with
    flair,pace and individuality seem to spell distrust when assessing potential new acquisitions.
    (not that we ever come close to any sensible signings over the last 3 seasons)
    Burnley is a financially sound club (currently) but with a recruitment and scouting system
    more dysfunctional than the Simpsons, along with a reluctance to recruit from anywhere
    outside the UK.
    Is it asking too much to ask that we adopt the Brentford model?
    The club successfully continues to recruit a stream of foreign players for a reasonable outlay
    then sell for a large profit.
    Is it therefore time for wholesale changes right across the club from top to bottom?

Interesting post DTP66. I too feel Dyche has lost interest, his interviews are less dynamic these days as though he doesn't care. He is still more positive than Cotterill but that isn't saying much. We just seem to be drifting, pulling out a much needed win when most needed and not before. Our lack of foreign investment has always been noticeable when compared to other teams. I've not really followed Brentford so can't comment on their situation but it sound promising.

Thanks for the comment Kritlchris.
    As far as I can see Brentford seem to have adopted a successful recruitment model, so the players are out there!
    I have watched their progress over a few seasons purely out of curiosity-total unknowns from overseas Europe and shrewd recruitment from the surrounding UK leagues.
    We were heavily tipped to sign Ollie Watkins from Exeter at one point but Burnley couldnt make up theit minds.
    He joined Brentford for a fee of around 4.5m I think and then onto Villa for 25m-not a bad return and he is just one of many.
    I have some family near Exeter and the local rag there had him "tied on" for BFC but not to be

I think the opening post sums up our current situation. In the last three games we have taken the game to the opposition right from the start and have looked better for that style of play. However, in the last two games we have gone in at half time and come out again looking a completely different team. When we do suffer reversals during the game Dyche seems unable to react to the changing situation. Recently this may be down to lack of suitable players but it has been the same since his arrival.
    While you cannot argue with Dyche’s achievement taking into account the poor backing he has had from the owners. The constant whinging over the money he has had is embarrassing, especially when we see the amount that has been wasted on transfers and wages for such as Hart, Lennon, Walters, Crouch, Wells and Gibson as to whether these were players Dyche wanted we do not know. The exceptions being Pope, Taylor, Tarkowski and Barton who without question have been good incoming transfers.
    Since his arrival we have not consistently played flowing football, there has been far too much hoofing and I think this style is wearing very thin with the club’s supporter.
    Dyche does have a tendency to keep with the same players regardless of form, one only has to look a Vydra who until recently was hardly given a chance. Injury to Barnes, Wood and JRod meant Vydra was given a run and we have looked a lot more threatening with him in the starting eleven even though he is not scoring enough.
    When Coyle departed the club made a major mistake in appointing Brian Laws as team manager, one may assume that was because he was already out of work and they did not have to pay compensation.
    Should Dyche leave than I only hope we show some ambition and appoint a competent manager with quality premier league experience.
    We also need to re*****ise our recruitment team, that is if we have one in the first place.

I do not know why RE VI TA ISE has been starred out.
    Last edited by Vintage Claret; 14-04-2021 at 12:38 AM.

V-I-T-A-L footy forum did not go down well with Claret Tony so he instructed DSG to make it like the "F" word. Hence no reference to *****.

Quote Originally Posted by DownThePlughole66 View Post
    Despite the recent run of defeats (capitulation would be more correct) at the hands of both
    Southampton and Newcastle; are we also beginning to witness the decline of and departure
    of Sean Dyche?
    In the past, the media has listened to and taken note of his measured response;more
    Whilst I am no lover of Leeds United, I felt his latest remark regarding the spending there
    was inappropriate.
    Personally I am now beginning to find it all embarrassing as sections of the media appear to
    be turning against him.
    Whatever the outcome of the 2021 season I feel he is now preparing the ground for his
    departure.
    There will be those who (if he does depart) will be like Fraser in Dad's Army “we are all
    doomed”
    Similar reactions happened when Coyle “The Messiah” departed for Bolton and we all know
    what happened there!
    I cannot argue with the manager's record and his achievements, but in all honesty have we
    The style of play we developed has remained constant and less entertaining minus the likes
    Against Everton, we bore no resemblance to our last two outings demonstrating the type of
    football we can play-defending higher up the field with momentum and aggression and lots
    I am not suggesting that we suddenly find a 200 Million pound money pit, but individuals with
    flair,pace and individuality seem to spell distrust when assessing potential new acquisitions.
    Burnley is a financially sound club (currently) but with a recruitment and scouting system
    more dysfunctional than the Simpsons, along with a reluctance to recruit from anywhere
    outside the UK.
    The club successfully continues to recruit a stream of foreign players for a reasonable outlay
    Is it therefore time for wholesale changes right across the club from top to bottom?
    Welcome on board mate. A well balanced post, the chickens have finally come home to roost.

I am not hearing anything from Alan Pace that fails to convince me Championship football is coming to Turf Moor anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DownThePlughole66 View Post
    of Sean Dyche?
    was inappropriate.
    be turning against him.
    departure.
    doomed”
    what happened there!
    outside the UK.
    It’s a good post plug hole,

If you look back re the Brentford scenario I’ve been on it a few times,

They have a unique system monitoring teams there positions in leagues etc , they analyse this and then look into relative success even if the team is on a small run , they watch their potential talent where they’re playing etc and bid for their better players at good rates , before the big boys come sniffing its job done ( I’ve said before today we should go and offer their recruitment team and package they can’t refuse ) . We wouldn’t be in this situation now because we’d have a production line of players at Burnley achievable prices and we’d also have made considerable money maybe at a higher level than Brentford, based on which league we’re playing in and the power to command more money for players.

As for Dyche , I don’t want to slate him because he’s been a genius for us on a shoe string , despite monies wasted on Wells Hart etc etc ( I’m not sure if they could have had a career with us Wells for example - we would have had to change our whole style of play to accommodate him).
    Have a look back at incomings and outgoing in his tenure and see how much he’s actually spent ( I bet it’s interesting in an offset against money coming in and money gained from being in the premier league.

As for Sean and if he’s staying I really believe he is going and Palace is a good bet , he’s good friends with Woy and I’m guessing it’s been discussed many times between them.

The only way I could see that changing is if ALK promise him the funds to re build - most of us know there is as much chance as platting fog - with a new manager they may have to release the purse strings to attract him initially, otherwise it’s a tough sell I think given the fact that Pope and Tarky are probably leaving anyway and Dyche might come fishing for Mcneil if that deal happens and Zaha leaves Palace ( which he is doing ).

So it’s a difficult call because we are more than capable of playing decent football if we’re truthful and I believe if we recruited well with some decent players at a reasonable age we could survive in this league and be more entertaining in the mix.

Of course that all depends on who takes the reigns and if the club back him.

I’m going anyway as my season tickets paid for I just let it run so I’ll be there with Dyche or without him - just love the club.

Although we may have looked better with Vydra in the team the reality is that we have played 16 PL games this year and won 4 drawn 5 and lost 7 --picking up 17 points from thos 16 games.
    Vydra has started 11 of those games and we won 1 drew 4 and lost 6 picking up just 7 points from 11 games.

Our problem is that we do not score enough goals when we are on top, as was seen in the last two games and this comes back to bite you.
    Sean will make his mind up about moving on and there is nothing that anyone can do because he knows his own mind and will be well aware of whether or not he is going to receive any backing from the new board.
    He owes us nothing and, should he decide to move on, I wish him well wherever he goes. Football is like that, owners, directors move on, managers and coaches move on, players move on, even the backroom staff and stadium staff move on. In the main, the fans are the only constant, however, even they move on, particularly if we suffer relegation. Nothing in football is guaranteed not even VAR and goal line technology!

Can't blame Sean for moving on if he does,as he has been given hardly any money to spend and the new owners will follow suit..Garlic out !!

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Can't blame Sean for moving on if he does,as he has been given hardly any money to spend and the new owners will follow suit..Garlic out !!
    if he'd didn't like it, he would've been long gone - Alf....in fact, was only late last year and with all the questions regarding recruitment, he still said we had a complete team and the only problem we had was injuries...Fact is (imo) S.D's style didn't require a big spend, that suited Garlick no end, low outlay, large return....but if S.D changed his ways, rethought his game, that would have risked the reward. Now, it seems, he and Burnley have hit their limit - Question is...what happens next, he sticks and attempts to take us to the next level, or goes elsewhere to ply his trade, but whatever...should be interesting....anything but more of the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)