+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bye,Bye,Baby,Baby,Goodbye......

Bye,Bye,Baby,Baby,Goodbye......

Les McKeown dead at 65.

I’ll happily admit I’ve always sung along to Rollers songs.

Only two “manias” ever in British music and that’s them and The Beatles.

Not keen on them. Mind you I'd moved on from The Beatles by the time I was eleven!

You made me believe in magic.....anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZUnKZ3EHO0

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    You made me believe in magic.....anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZUnKZ3EHO0

Never heard that before Phil.

Too much music snobbery around when it comes to 70's music in my opinion, 99.9% of bands had to do the "hard yards" in those days.

I was only watching the story of The Rollers on YouTube last week, it was quite a long road for Alan Longmuir and his brother before they got to the winning combination after taking on p a e d o Tam Paton as manager.

Awful drivel aimed at pre-pubescent girls and some of their mothers. Now The Rubettes and Racey they were real bands. (Being facetious just in case anyone thinks I mean it).

I enjoyed loads of the 70s stuff and and a lot of it is secretly liked by most but dare not admit. I liked the rubettes, ya couldn't beat a bit of sugar baby love, also Terry Jacks....what a voice!!

My sister loved the Bay City Rollers. All that tartan she wore, looked like a bloody Jacobite in flares and platform boots 😊 .

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    Awful drivel aimed at pre-pubescent girls and some of their mothers. Now The Rubettes and Racey they were real bands. (Being facetious just in case anyone thinks I mean it).
    I felt the same about Joy Division to be honest, horrible, miserable, dirge “music”.......perfect to cut your own throat to.

As a young ****ager stuff like Bay City Rollers and The Rubbettes was the soundtrack to our lives even though it was “lightweight” in content.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Les McKeown dead at 65.

I’ll happily admit I’ve always sung along to Rollers songs.

Only two “manias” ever in British music and that’s them and The Beatles.
    Comparing the Rollers with the Beatles is like comparing a rag and bone man's hoss with Arkle.
    Rollers had two number one's and most of their hit's were covers. They also had a much longer span as a group, 1964 to almost the present with rotating members of the band.
    Their biggest success was mid seventies and they appealled mostly to pre pubescent girls.
    The Beatles were the biggest and most influential band the world has ever seen, changing so much not just in music but in fashion and experimental ideas in a mere seven years.
    Lennon said they were more popular than Jesus, I would say they had a bigger effect on the world than Covid.
    No other band has ever had so many cover's of their song's, and they even gave some away to others who got their first hit's with them, ie. The Stones, Mary Hopkin and Marmalade.
    I was reading about Les McKeown this morning who was allegedly raped by their manager who was openly gay. McKeown himself admitted to being bi s exual.
    Something very disturbing about the band and I always thought so at the time.
    My wife saw them live but she said she just went along to a gig and had never heard of them before.

Not my type of music at all, never liked the Rollers or any of their songs. Sad that the bloke has died, though.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)