+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russell Hoult

I think we might have had this thread before but who would be the top five 'keepers over the years. In my time the top five would be in this order: 1. Ben Foster 2. John Osborne 3.Tony Godden (Very underrated) 4. Russell Hoult 5. Jim Sanders.

No room for Chrighton or Zuberhuler?

Godden was a good keeper apart from being vulnerable to crosses into his area.
    His gaffe against Liverpool when Dalglish nicked the ball and scored was hard to live down.
    He was a good shot stopper.

Stuart Naylor would go in the list for me, when he still had 2 legs he was class

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I think we might have had this thread before but who would be the top five 'keepers over the years. In my time the top five would be in this order: 1. Ben Foster 2. John Osborne 3.Tony Godden (Very underrated) 4. Russell Hoult 5. Jim Sanders.
    It's all about opinions, but Godden for me was the weak link of a great side. Like our present keeper he is good at spectacular saves but doesn't command his box.
    A good keeper makes the job look easy by good anticipation and positioning, but can also pull off fantastic saves.
    Do you remember the game against Bruges when we were trailing the first leg 1-3?
    We had to win 2-0 or 4-1 to go through.
    We got the two goals and then Osborne was under tremendous pressure to keep a clean sheet. He swallowed everything that came into his box and I am talking 18 yard box not six yard box.
    When it comes to personality, entertainment and having a great relationship with the supporters the likes of Fozzie and Hoult are as grey as John Major.
    We like to be entertained at the Albion, to see something out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Stuart Naylor would go in the list for me, when he still had 2 legs he was class
    Good point 67. Naylor gave us great service and was a more than useful 'keeper. I suppose the fact that he never played at the top level for us possibly coloured my judgement.

I think Naylor hold's the record appearances for us as a keeper.

Anyone remember Ricky Sheppard? He was good at at making easy saves look spectacular! Died in 1998 aged just 53, very sad.

Always rated Alan Miller

How about Bob Ward?

I remember a 1-1 draw with Villa the season we came back up in 77-78........he managed to dive three different directions to a long range effort from Dennis Mortimer that went dead centre into the Brummie Road End net 😩

Surely we’ll never plumb them depths of Chrighton again though.

In a positive note.......I always rated Alan Miller and he had a very good relationship with the fans, as did Brian Jensen who I didn’t rate at all.

Foster our best keeper imo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)