+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wigan

Wigan

...are on a roll and look likely to avoid relegation. I am happy about that (need Rochdale to copy Wigan) as long as they don't do us in the process. I haven't a clue what team he's putting out except that Rio isn't playing.
    Will he stick with his CH pairing? Will Wintle turn up? Is he going to stick with Porter and Dale up front? Who knows? I'm finding this a little difficult to predict.
    Just hope we are not overwhelmed by Wigan's desire and motivation.
    If the Alex need any motivation, then how about a Wigan podcast suggesting 5-0 to the latics.
    I'll stick with just 1-0 defeat.

Wigan were impressive in beating Sunderland, but their previous win was at Doncaster, who must be pretty close to the bottom of the current form league! They also lost at home to Pompey prior to that, the latest in a line of pretty ordinary results. If the team turn up as they did on Tuesday evening then we have nothing to fear, if they play like the Oxford fiasco then our afternoon will be cheered up by a Royal funeral! As to who plays at the back, Dave has shown he will change personnel and formation according to the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition recently so, as gazan says, who knows! However, after their dogged refusal to give way to Pompey I reckon Wood and Offord deserve another go, with DD at RB - they can easily be changed around if it isn’t working out. If we’re going to play 4-4-2 I’d have the 2 big fellas up front with Dale replacing Evans. If Wintle is fit though I expect to revert to the favoured 4-3-3.

Given our scoring problems a 1-1 draw, which is pretty unsatisfactory for both clubs but it’ll have to do.

I agree with most of the above. But IMO Daniels is probably(?) at this stage a better CB than Offord and Offord is a better RB than Daniels.

Memo to myself. Do not fork out £10 on Tuesday night !! What an absolute shambles, even when the player concerned was under no pressure, 90% of the time the ball ended up with a Wigan player, I have never seen so many misplaced passes. A month ago I was gutted to think that Beckles would probably be leaving us, now I couldn't care less. I think that he has shown his true colours recently and has simply used us for a season. I hope that it backfires on him or maybe he already knows where he is going.

To be fair, your first reaction that you were gutted he might leave suggests he has been a successful signing on the whole. It’s true his form has fallen off a cliff over the past few games but how much is that due to attitude and how much to too much football? Without checking, I suspect he’s played as many matches as anyone else and most have suffered drops in form (Wintle, Mandron, Lowety and Kirk have all either done that or had rests), the only exception being Pixie who has maintained a very high standard pretty much throughout. Unfortunately Omar has dropped some right old clangers recently but I suspect no more than most over the whole of the season. We would have struggled without him at times and he’s looked assured. Given the injuries to Lancashire, Offord and Daniels we’d have been pretty short without him.

Of course, he may be looking to leave, but the poor form of late hardly helps his negotiating position! It’s all very well saying he was using us, but the boot would have been on the other foot if he’d been rubbish all season and we’d waved him goodbye..... much as we did Zanzala!!

He was in contention for player of the season a month or so ago, with my complete blessing, but not now. His head is somewhere else, nothing to do with how many games he has played. He is not the only one by the way.
    For the first time I don't think that Artell said it like it was either after the game.

Beccles has been one of our best defenders in recent years when the ball is in the air and when he is competing 50:50 with the forward. For me his problem is when he has time on the ball. Crewe's tactic of playing the ball out from the back (sometimes even within the six yard box) is not suited to his strengths, always wanting to take an extra touch. I do like it when he drives forward with the ball though.

I think that he will leave in the close season for more money and good luck to him and thanks for the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by MeForCrewe View Post
    For the first time I don't think that Artell said it like it was either after the game.
    That's a collector's item, that is!