+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Team selections...Big Sam

Team selections...Big Sam

“There are one or two players who are not happy about not being selected.

“They are looking at me saying ‘why are you not picking me?’ That always happens.

“They don’t realise what they do on a day-to-day basis or when they play – they select themselves or deselect themselves.

“When players tell me I’ve dropped them – what they don’t realise is I haven’t dropped them, they have dropped themselves.

“That’s been the case now for many, many, years because of the data we have.

“I look at the data on every single player in training and I look at the data of every single player in a match.

“I look at their body language in training, I look at how dedicated they are when it comes to what extras they do.

“And quietly I look along and think ‘it’s going to be difficult for you to get in because I can’t see you changing my mind.’

Allardyce revealed he is always keeping tabs on what his players are up to.

“My eye, my experience, tells me whether they are going to play their way back into the team or not,” the boss continued.

“That comes from many different factors, it comes from being a hugely experienced manager who watches many different aspects.

“I’m watching when they don’t know I’m watching.

“They have no idea what I am doing.

“They think I’m walking around being jolly and happy.

“But my study of their body language, the way they handle themselves, the way they train, the way they perform, what do they do with the backroom staff, what do they do when they are not here.

“It gives me a huge amount of insight on whether can force their way back into the team.

“There can be nothing better than forcing your way back into the team the way Callum Robinson has done recently.”

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    “There are one or two players who are not happy about not being selected.

“They are looking at me saying ‘why are you not picking me?’ That always happens.

“They don’t realise what they do on a day-to-day basis or when they play – they select themselves or deselect themselves.

“When players tell me I’ve dropped them – what they don’t realise is I haven’t dropped them, they have dropped themselves.

“That’s been the case now for many, many, years because of the data we have.

“I look at the data on every single player in training and I look at the data of every single player in a match.

“I look at their body language in training, I look at how dedicated they are when it comes to what extras they do.

“And quietly I look along and think ‘it’s going to be difficult for you to get in because I can’t see you changing my mind.’

Allardyce revealed he is always keeping tabs on what his players are up to.

“My eye, my experience, tells me whether they are going to play their way back into the team or not,” the boss continued.

“That comes from many different factors, it comes from being a hugely experienced manager who watches many different aspects.

“I’m watching when they don’t know I’m watching.

“They have no idea what I am doing.

“They think I’m walking around being jolly and happy.

“But my study of their body language, the way they handle themselves, the way they train, the way they perform, what do they do with the backroom staff, what do they do when they are not here.

“It gives me a huge amount of insight on whether can force their way back into the team.

“There can be nothing better than forcing your way back into the team the way Callum Robinson has done recently.”
    I wonder who is in that list. Grant, Diangana...

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Sawyers n Livermore

Quote Originally Posted by viaductbaggies View Post
    Sawyers n Livermore
    The more I see and hear from Allardyce the more convinced I am that we have done very well to bring him to the club, if as i sadly suspect he will leave at the end of the season due to not being backed by Lai, I foresee significant disruption anger and protests aimed at Lai and his cronies at our home games next season.
    Last edited by DaveP67 is back!; 17-04-2021 at 08:09 AM.

If you look back at Big Sam’s history as a manager, he was always known for innovative ideas and methods on training regimes and so on. Problem is he get’s linked with a “dinosaur football” image for sounding a bit like Mike Bassett. But underneath that image is a sharp football brain. I am ever convinced if he stays next season we will go straight back up.

The quote above is just what we needed. A ruthless streak on team selection based on facts and performance ..... not cosy loyalties or favourites ..... this is what did for Bilic in the end ......

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    It will differ from week to week. They all have periods of consistency and then drop off. Robinson was in that group till now. There will also be players doing well in training but can't get in the team at present because of how well the team is doing. Nothing is static. Big Sam is a good manager, hope we keep him now.
    Last edited by boingy; 17-04-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)