+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 years ago i’day

50 years ago i’day

The first ‘league decider’ of my lifetime. I rate the 70-71 squad as among our very best. Many are called but few are chosen. I suspect that donsdaft, Haj and me are three among a mere handful that witnessed this.

If only, Bumper min...

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/f...1&squad=Senior

I was only 7 at the time and although my Da had taken me to most of games that season, I didn't get to this one .
    Remember the look on my Da's face when he came in the door , that said it all .

I was there.

Great team we had, lost the league that season when the stand burned down.

King Joey must have been injured was he?
    Last edited by donsdaft; 17-04-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I was there.

Great team we had, lost the league that season when the stand burned down.

King Joey must have been injured was he?
    Either that or a Smithesq type error leaving him out for George Buchan. Wasn't there, as probably in the playing fields in the Broch with my red track suit tap on scoring what should have been the winner. I always liked Jim Forrest and never liked Bobby Lennox

No, he was on the bench as his record since New Year had been very poor. He came on as sub for George Buchan in the second half. He was injured (a gash in his calf) in the cup replay against the Jute plastic lot in mid -February, missed the 0-0 with the hun filth on the Saturday, but never got his mojo back until 19 April - we travelled in fae Keith on a Monday night - when he scored the first goal in a friendly against one of the Jerry Eintrachts, and did that now-prevalent looking at the sky move, probably in the hope that the deity would hand him doon a can of Piper Export to celebrate. Home draws with the hun filth, St Paisley and Motherwell eroded our points lead that season.

If Turnbull had stayed on, I’m convinced we’d have won it in 71-72.

Aye, he hardly scored after xmas.

Still won the European bronze boot though, everything he touched before xmas went in the net.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    No, he was on the bench as his record since New Year had been very poor. He came on as sub for George Buchan in the second half. He was injured (a gash in his calf) in the cup replay against the Jute plastic lot in mid -February, missed the 0-0 with the hun filth on the Saturday, but never got his mojo back until 19 April - we travelled in fae Keith on a Monday night - when he scored the first goal in a friendly against one of the Jerry Eintrachts, and did that now-prevalent looking at the sky move, probably in the hope that the deity would hand him doon a can of Piper Export to celebrate. Home draws with the hun filth, St Paisley and Motherwell eroded our points lead that season.

If Turnbull had stayed on, I’m convinced we’d have won it in 71-72.
    Typical Dirty pjms. Nothing changes. Unless he had one leg hinging aff, Joey should always have played. I was/am a bit biased about Joey however.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Aye, he hardly scored after xmas.

Still won the European bronze boot though, everything he touched before xmas went in the net.
    He was awarded it for 33 league goals in 34 games the following season. I remember his 4 v Partick Thistle, the week after they dismantled the Tims 4-1 in the 71 League Cup final. The team applauded them on to the field, Pittodrie stood and cheered them, before we gave them a 7-2 doing.

Okay, I stand corrected.

7-2, I remember that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    He was awarded it for 33 league goals in 34 games the following season. I remember his 4 v Partick Thistle, the week after they dismantled the Tims 4-1 in the 71 League Cup final. The team applauded them on to the field, Pittodrie stood and cheered them, before we gave them a 7-2 doing.
    I think I was at that game, did Joey score a hat trick?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast