+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hecky

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post

We know now that Hecky didn’t jump - he was pushed out.
    And I’ll still maintain that the football I witnessed at the beginning of the 16/17 season was the most exciting I’ve ever seen at the WELL.
    We were looking brilliant until Patrick sold players in January 2017.
    But - under his circumstances I can’t blame Patrick for doing that.
    Its water under the bridge now but it was obvious to some on here including myself what was going on wi Hecky Ganaye and Cryne.

One thing that is overlooked by many is that Patrick Cryne was probably out of his depth running a football club. I will always be grateful that he and his money saved us but the running of the club was questionable for many years I have to say.

The saga with Ritchie and Holden and the underhand tactics behind their sacking and the appointment of Davey, then giving Davey a far bigger budget to spend than Ritchie ever got despite Ritchie getting us into the Championship was frankly a poor doo.

The Robins being put on gardening leave was due to the budget being severely slashed and even Hillcroft initially turned the job darn before they did a u-turn.

On Hills departure both O'Driscoll and Butcher turned it darn too. That tells thi summat.

Wilson returning was a desperate and bad appointment.

It wasn't until they had the moneyball idea and signing youth plus the appointment of Lee Johnson that fortunes started to turn. Credit to the Crynes for that, it set the precedent for how the club operates now and how it can survive under it's own steam.

I acknowledge and appreciate that under the ownership of Patrick Cryne we somehow spent over a decade in the Championship, got to Wembley 3 times and certainly had some highs. There was a bit of luck involved in our Championship survival though, without a doubt in my opinion.

We were never really able to progress though in the Championship and were always struggling to get through each season by the skin of our teeth. Only under Robins did we actually look like taking the next step but Cryne pulled the plug due to the financial losses and his decision of the early implementation of Financial Fair Play.

What comes with club ownership is questions. I never felt Cryne was questioned enough. Maybe it was because he's was Barnsley born and put his money into the club to save us. At the time I was the same, a bit blinkered and never really questioned his decisions bar the Ritchie sacking. However, looking back and in hindsight, there were some poor decisions made and like it or not, the buck stops with him. He had to put over a million pounds of his own money in each season because he wasn't running it properly when all said and done. That's poor business management. It took over a decade for them to balance the books and find a way that was financially viable.

I know I'll be in the minority here but I feel my observations and reasoning are acknowledging of the good times, the bad times and they are balanced.

The foreign consortium who now own us have big question marks hanging over them towards what their motives for the club are and rightly so. However, I will suggest that their running of the club from a financial point of view so far looks to be sound. We never questioned Mr Crynes motives for running the club because he was a fan and despite his mistakes, nobody can deny that he had this club in his heart. It's just that looking back I felt there was never a plan or direction the club was taking until his son came up with the moneyball idea

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Its water under the bridge now but it was obvious to some on here including myself what was going on wi Hecky Ganaye and Cryne.

One thing that is overlooked by many is that Patrick Cryne was probably out of his depth running a football club. I will always be grateful that he and his money saved us but the running of the club was questionable for many years I have to say.

The saga with Ritchie and Holden and the underhand tactics behind their sacking and the appointment of Davey, then giving Davey a far bigger budget to spend than Ritchie ever got despite Ritchie getting us into the Championship was frankly a poor doo.

The Robins being put on gardening leave was due to the budget being severely slashed and even Hillcroft initially turned the job darn before they did a u-turn.

On Hills departure both O'Driscoll and Butcher turned it darn too. That tells thi summat.

Wilson returning was a desperate and bad appointment.

It wasn't until they had the moneyball idea and signing youth plus the appointment of Lee Johnson that fortunes started to turn. Credit to the Crynes for that, it set the precedent for how the club operates now and how it can survive under it's own steam.

I acknowledge and appreciate that under the ownership of Patrick Cryne we somehow spent over a decade in the Championship, got to Wembley 3 times and certainly had some highs. There was a bit of luck involved in our Championship survival though, without a doubt in my opinion.

We were never really able to progress though in the Championship and were always struggling to get through each season by the skin of our teeth. Only under Robins did we actually look like taking the next step but Cryne pulled the plug due to the financial losses and his decision of the early implementation of Financial Fair Play.

What comes with club ownership is questions. I never felt Cryne was questioned enough. Maybe it was because he's was Barnsley born and put his money into the club to save us. At the time I was the same, a bit blinkered and never really questioned his decisions bar the Ritchie sacking. However, looking back and in hindsight, there were some poor decisions made and like it or not, the buck stops with him. He had to put over a million pounds of his own money in each season because he wasn't running it properly when all said and done. That's poor business management. It took over a decade for them to balance the books and find a way that was financially viable.

I know I'll be in the minority here but I feel my observations and reasoning are acknowledging of the good times, the bad times and they are balanced.

The foreign consortium who now own us have big question marks hanging over them towards what their motives for the club are and rightly so. However, I will suggest that their running of the club from a financial point of view so far looks to be sound. We never questioned Mr Crynes motives for running the club because he was a fan and despite his mistakes, nobody can deny that he had this club in his heart. It's just that looking back I felt there was never a plan or direction the club was taking until his son came up with the moneyball idea
    Good post Pass .

If tha criticised Cryne tha always had " he saved the club " rammed darn thi throat .

A proper sacred cow was Cryne for reasons to this day I cannot fathom .

John Dennis built the modern BFC , took us to the PL and Championship play off final and got accused of siphoning money from the club to prop his fruit n veg business up .

Strange man was Cryne in my opinion , on the one hand he claimed he was the reluctant owner but held on to the club like a dog with a bone .

He wouldn't have sold it to the current mob either if his health hadn't took a turn for the worse in my opinion .

Very shady character in my opinion was Pat Cryne , the court case when he was charged with defrauding shareholders and only got off because the prosecution lost some key evidence set alarms off with me .

There's something not reight about this ground ownership malarkey with the current mob either , I'd tend to give Cryne the benefit of the doubt but none the less Cryne's got previous .

Just my opinion .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Good post Pass .

If tha criticised Cryne tha always had " he saved the club " rammed darn thi throat .

A proper sacred cow was Cryne for reasons to this day I cannot fathom .

John Dennis built the modern BFC , took us to the PL and Championship play off final and got accused of siphoning money from the club to prop his fruit n veg business up .

Strange man was Cryne in my opinion , on the one hand he claimed he was the reluctant owner but held on to the club like a dog with a bone .

He wouldn't have sold it to the current mob either if his health hadn't took a turn for the worse in my opinion .

Very shady character in my opinion was Pat Cryne , the court case when he was charged with defrauding shareholders and only got off because the prosecution lost some key evidence set alarms off with me .

There's something not reight about this ground ownership malarkey with the current mob either , I'd tend to give Cryne the benefit of the doubt but none the less Cryne's got previous .

Just my opinion .
    There should be a statue of Patrick outside of the WELL.
    A true Barnsley legioned.
    But it has to be said that he held onto the club for far too long.
    Consequently we had 10 to 15 years going nowhere.
    The Cryne Doldrum years.

Younger generations of Barnsley fans will not have experienced a time when Barnsley were a well run Championship club knocking on the door of the Premier.
    All what you see at the WELL was built by John Dennis.

And that’s a reason I support these owners.
    Yes they are business people that are here to make a profit - but to make a profit they have to develop the ground and the squad - thus moving the club forward, leaving it in a stronger position.
    So as far as I’m concerned I’m not bothered how much money these owners make - as long as my club is stronger.

As I’ve said before - for decades Barnsley has been living in the shadows of the Sheffield and Leeds clubs.
    Unlike those clubs - the potential of Barnsley Footage Club has never been realised.
    There is a chance with these owners that it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    There should be a statue of Patrick outside of the WELL.
    A true Barnsley legioned.
    But it has to be said that he held onto the club for far too long.
    Consequently we had 10 to 15 years going nowhere.
    The Cryne Doldrum years.

Younger generations of Barnsley fans will not have experienced a time when Barnsley were a well run Championship club knocking on the door of the Premier.
    All what you see at the WELL was built by John Dennis.

And that’s a reason I support these owners.
    Yes they are business people that are here to make a profit - but to make a profit they have to develop the ground and the squad - thus moving the club forward, leaving it in a stronger position.
    So as far as I’m concerned I’m not bothered how much money these owners make - as long as my club is stronger.

As I’ve said before - for decades Barnsley has been living in the shadows of the Sheffield and Leeds clubs.
    Unlike those clubs - the potential of Barnsley Footage Club has never been realised.
    There is a chance with these owners that it might be.
    Built by john Dennis he was in charge yeh but tell me how all that money went dont forget selling
    Higgy
    Redfearn
    Ward
    Long time ago cant remember fee's but remember all reds fanz wondering wats happened here.
    Am not totally clued up but when you own a business you you put yourself on a wage but you take most your money frm dividens and a think alot of money got paid out that way.

Wohh be careful ehh lads, because even if its true what your saying, and even if I do also agree with you.
    Remember its still a touchy subject isn't it regarding the late Patrick Cryne.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12