+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League Breakaway Clubs.

If this breakaway actually happens, wouldn’t it be nice if it flopped and they all lost shed loads of money. Sadly, money has a loud voice, so I suspect that some form of new Euro League that satisfies the greed of the big clubs will happen. If so I would like to see the EFL and FA ban any players participating in it banned from any transfer back to an EFL club. Wishful thinking, though.

I hope managers and players of these clubs resign. They're mostly from working class backgrounds so will understand the impact of this and the morale reason to stand up against it.

You would assume they could break their contracts over this, they haven't signed a contract to not play for their country, not feature in the PL etc.

You just feel the PL will back down and that's what the 'Big 6' are hoping for. Sealing dominance of the league unfairly. Vile owners of proud clubs.

If this competition goes ahead the first thing that should happen is all 6 teams should be kicked out of both our domestic cup competitions as there is no way they can play this new franchise league and play in every round of both cups, also Sky/BT should not show any of them live and cut out some of their revenue, it will also be interesting to see how some of these clubs major sponsors react as their will be a massive backlash against all the clubs involved.
    Last edited by saltnshake; 19-04-2021 at 01:38 AM.

I had to laugh when I saw Spurs mentioned as one of the top 6 club, why? Last time they won the premiership was? It always used to be top 4, top 4.. now top 6 to accommodate the likes of Spurs and Arse. Leicester is one of the clubs to have last won the league, but considered inferior. It is like football doesn’t exist in the midlands. I really hope they falter and also hope the FA kick them out of domestic competitions.

Can't believe the Vile haven't been invited to the party, they'm MOSSIVE.....

This could actually ring the death knell for these six clubs. Hopefully, they will be expelled from the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup and no player to be eligible to play for their country. Fans would turn their backs on these clubs which would be the final nail in ther coffins. The Premier League have to be strong over this and must not let a few billionaire owners who are only interested in money ruin a game that has been a part of this country's history for 150 years. These clubs should be ashamed of themselves and I for one wouldn't care less if it was their ruination as they would deserve it. I would like to hear the views of the supporters of these clubs. I think that the fans could have a big influence on the outcome.
    Last edited by Leicesterbaggie; 19-04-2021 at 07:55 AM.

Surely it is up to the Premier League now. If they bottle it and let the 6 clubs play in the PL and the ESL then they are allowing the big money to rule. Stand up to the 6 and ban them from playing in the PL, clubs, players, agents etc.

If they don’t it will be the end of the chances of the likes of Leicester, Everton and even West Ham ever getting top 6 because the finances and the squads of the 6 will be even more out of kilter with the rest of the PL.

The only good that I can see that may come out of it is no overseas investors in the future will want to buy the likes of us, or even Wolves etc. because they will not have a way into the really big money.

It has some of the tones of Packer and cricket. All their players were outcast from the main game. It also didn’t last very long and if the ESL was forced to stand lone can anyone really expect it to last very long, especially when it is so reliant upon English clubs.

I can't quite get my head around it.

Anyone more in the know than me tell me if this is just a power push from these teams to earn more wealth from the current champions league system and its a bluff? And in reality they are not ever planning to risk expulsion from their domestic leagues.

Or are they completely serious? Its crazy if they are. Removing competition for their own greed. Removing the chance for a team like Leicester to win the league and compete in their 'super league'

And if this does happen, it makes me wonder what this will mean for us. Will we no longer be relegated? We actually have a great chance of finishing in the champions league places if the top 6 leave the league (remember, we have finished 8th and 10th in the last decade).

Will it mean less money for us, as the big boys are not in? Presumably. I read somewhere that these teams could theoretically play in the EFL if the Premier League expel them. Is that realistic?

We won't give the top teams a bloody nose every now and again. The strength of the league and quality of football will be weaker. Its a bit of a mess.

I just get completely fed up of people who mess with our beautiful game for reasons of pure greed.

VAR has made me question whether I even want to watch us in the Premiership next season.

My understanding of the statement given out by the breakaway six, plus the European clubs involved, is that this is not a proposal, it is a statement of intention. If so, they should be booted out of all existing competitions but, sadly, in this World, money does seem to talk the loudest. The finance gurus that drive this are no idiots, I’m sure that they wouldn’t have announced this and leave the chance that they may have to back down a possibility. I have a horrible feeling that there will be ‘plain brown envelopes’ given to the right people and the greedy ones will get their way.

As for Albion, I don’t think that this Super League idea will enhance the value of ‘ordinary’ clubs like ours; keep on looking for that buyer, Mr Lai, but you may have a long wait.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)