+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    The other thing about the Premier League is the number of teams that have actually been in it. It hasn’t been the same 20-25 bouncing between the top 2 divisions. I would imagine half of the league has at some been in the Premier League, and only piss poor management has led to some of those teams sliding down the Leagues.
    The beauty of the Premier League is that teams CAN make it. Look at Bournemouth.

I just googled it, 49 teams have graced the Premier League.
    Also, two of the sides that have won the Premier League spent time in the 3rd tier before doing so (during the time the PL has existed). Relegation can often act as a trampoline for a club to bounce back stronger, to experience some success and get used to winning again.

I'd much rather the Football League had held itself together and the Premier League had never happened, but the biggest outrage over its' creation at the time, as I recall it, was that SKY would take away live games from ITV and that fans would now have to *PAY* to watch football - which us supporters who actually attended games in person (and there weren't so many of us in those days) didn't necessarily perceive to be such a great injustice. There was the feeling at the time that we'd been propping up the game for years and treated like animals and why shouldn't the stay-at-home fan contribute to the now compulsory rebuilding of stands and stadiums in the wake of the Hillsborough disaster?

This ESL is a whole different thing altogether.

Everton have released an impressive statement this morning and it included a shout out for Notts County.

"And in that Pyramid Everton salutes EVERY club, be it Leicester City, Accrington Stanley, Gillingham, Lincoln City, Morecambe, Southend United, Notts County and the rest who have, with their very being, enriched the lives of their supporters throughout the game's history. And vice versa."

The full statement.......

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...eague-20423045

... well, surprise surprise, football is getting what it deserves from selling its soul to Sky. It's a case of 'much wants more.' I hope the game at the top collapses. You cannot have ever-increasing income from finite resources. Sport has been in the wrong hands for decades. Some of the super-rich haven't yet found out that you can only spend so much before the novelty wears off. They do their own kids no favours by providing them with a cosseted life without earning it. Bring back kick-off at3 o'clock.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... well, surprise surprise, football is getting what it deserves from selling its soul to Sky. It's a case of 'much wants more.' I hope the game at the top collapses. You cannot have ever-increasing income from finite resources. Sport has been in the wrong hands for decades. Some of the super-rich haven't yet found out that you can only spend so much before the novelty wears off. They do their own kids no favours by providing them with a cosseted life without earning it. Bring back kick-off at3 o'clock.
    I would imagine that the idea of the 'Super League' is to control their own TV rights and then to sell their product all over the world, (prob online) on a 'pay as you watch basis'. I would guess it would net them more in a week than they get from Sky in a year. You can see why they're doing it, money. I would also imagine it would be difficult to stop them. Worst we can do to them is kick them out of the PL and stop any players taking part from playing for their native Country

Money follows money, so no surprise here. To make even more money, this makes sense for the participants. As I understand it the English teams are not withdrawing from the Premier League, or Champions League. Not sure about latter, as one of the Super League reasons is to make more money and avoid playing minnows like Ajax, Dortmund and Benfica. Indeed this private club is similar to Premiership, as I recall talk at its inception of no promotion or relegation. To existing Premier League clubs it is a kick in the teeth as it blocks the gravy train for them. Crocodile tears for the ignored like Everton, who are not worthy. To us it is an irrelevance, a small part of the unjust way money and power works in current English football.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Indeed this private club is similar to Premiership, as I recall talk at its inception of no promotion or relegation. .
    It was the Football League that threatened - in the early part of 1991/92 - to refuse to accept the bottom three clubs from the top flight at the end of that season and there was talk of inviting in the top Scottish clubs into the FL or creating a rival league with the Scottish giants (as Sunderland, Newcastle and Middlesbrough were all 2nd tier at the time and it made sense to them geographically, but other clubs didn't take it seriously as a solution). It was never the intention of the Premier League to end relegation, it just became a possibility for about a month because of the position the FL were adopting.
    We were in the 1st tier at that time.

Also, the ESL six will be quitting the Champions League but don't intend to leave the PL. Problem is, if they're not in the hunt for the PL title they may as well play their B team and you could have the scenario where West Ham win the PL and don't get to play against the best in Europe whilst Arsenal finish 12th and are still guaranteed a place among the elite. It'll make a complete mockery of the PL.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    People moan about what happened in the 90s but it DID take football in this country to the next level. Forget playing squads and the money individuals now earn. Look at the facilities, the academies, the investment in local communities. We don’t see it in Nottingham because between the 2 sides we have hardly troubled the top league.
    That said both us and them across the Trent have improved our facilities.
    The other thing about the Premier League is the number of teams that have actually been in it. It hasn’t been the same 20-25 bouncing between the top 2 divisions. I would imagine half of the league has at some been in the Premier League, and only piss poor management has led to some of those teams sliding down the Leagues.
    The beauty of the Premier League is that teams CAN make it. Look at Bournemouth.

For those moaning about teams like Salford investing heavily. We only have to look at ourselves and the ‘investment’ we put in our relegation squad. No one was going, ‘this is wrong’, especially when it contributed to a company going bust. When Munto and it’s fake money was flying about we all got carried away with the dream.

I just googled it, 49 teams have graced the Premier League.
    100% correct, I think nostalgia for football pre Sky/PL is very much misplaced. As Gary Neville said last night, hooliganism, crap grounds, lack of diversity in crowds, historically poor crowds and people actually getting killed at matches on a fairly regular basis meant the sport was on its knees. Sky and the PL and the funds generated saved it. We nearly went bust in 1987.

It’s by no means perfect now, the distribution of those funds is a disgrace, but on the other hand there’s been people in charge of Notts in the last 30 years who I wouldn’t have trusted a fiver with, let alone 5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    100% correct, I think nostalgia for football pre Sky/PL is very much misplaced. As Gary Neville said last night, hooliganism, crap grounds, lack of diversity in crowds, historically poor crowds and people actually getting killed at matches on a fairly regular basis meant the sport was on its knees. Sky and the PL and the funds generated saved it. We nearly went bust in 1987.

It’s by no means perfect now, the distribution of those funds is a disgrace, but on the other hand there’s been people in charge of Notts in the last 30 years who I wouldn’t have trusted a fiver with, let alone 5 million.
    Football was turning the corner before the PL, I don't think it should be allowed to take all of the credit for 'saving the game'.

Italia 90 was obviously a major boost, but even before that, the fanzine culture and supporters coming together to block Colin Moynahan and Thatcher's ID card system was uniting the football fanbase whilst the Taylor report would have meant grounds had to be upgraded regardless of the PL.

Violence was going out of fashion anyway in parallel with the punks and skinheads becoming 'boring middle aged farts' (as they'd once described the hippies) and the rise of ecstasy/love everyone/Baddiel and Newman lad culture among the next generation, aggro for the sake of it was definitely becoming old hat by 1989 - the biggest cause of trouble by then was the attitude of the police. The England national team was another matter, England fans continued to wreak havoc for another 10 years or so, but domestically we didn't need the PL to turn the corner. I'd say the PL helped speed up the upgrading of grounds process but it also massively inflated wages and has done more harm than good in the long run.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 20-04-2021 at 12:26 PM.

On the positive side there's a consensus that closed shop leagues are a bad idea and winning them doesn't count.

As the football league was a closed shop until 1986, that means all titles won before then are worthless. And so presumably are European Cups won on the back of winning those closed shop leagues. I hope as a matter of principle our neighbours won't ever mention them again.

Grimsby Town's shirt amnesty is generating them huge publicity. Might be smart for the OG of professional football was to do the same. Come on Notts!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-56816761

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast