+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League.

Well there you have it. English football continues to eat itself alive.

Premier League's 'Big Six' agree to join new league

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56795811

Well, I've been fiercely critical over many years of those who claim to administer football, but now they have an opportunity to redeem themselves (in my eyes) and show that they do have some b*llocks and are capable of defending the game after all.

There are many ways they can do this in the coming weeks, but just for starters, the official announcement itself is just cause to call an urgent meeting of the Premier League to expel all of the teams involved and expunge their results (much like the National League did to Dover for a far less significant and far more justifiable act of non-compliance). The players representing these clubs can be told that they won't be selected any longer for their national teams, including at this year's European Championships.

The major pay TV companies such as Sky and BT Sport have also voiced a negative view of the new league, because they obviously realise the threat it poses to the Premier league and Champions League deals they already have. The onus is now on them to stick with these contracts and refuse to purchase or show this new competition. And just in case they make the mistake of doing a deal with the devil, then fans across the country and the world have the power to punish all of the participants in this "criminal act" (as Gary Neville calls it) by refusing to subscribe to watch the competition wherever it is shown. this applies not least to the fans of the rebel clubs themselves.

The saddest thing for me is to see Juventus sell their soul in this way, given their historic links with us. I'm sure this is attributable to the greedy men at the top of these clubs and not to the fans, who no doubt want to see their clubs continue to compete in domestic competition.

To be honest, the thought of a small number of clubs competing amongst themselves with no threat of relegation or elimination sounds rather boring and repetitive anyway. I'm much more excited by the prospect of Leicester City and West Ham battling it out for the Premier League title!

So come on the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, UEFA, FIFA and TV companies across Europe and the world. Do you have what it takes, punks?
    Last edited by jackal2; 19-04-2021 at 12:17 AM.

If they want a separate league, let them have it. Kick them out of the PL and all UK competitions. Let them survive on their own, hopefully without any broadcasting contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Well, I've been fiercely critical over many years of those who claim to administer football, but now they have an opportunity to redeem themselves (in my eyes) and show that they do have some b*llocks and are capable of defending the game after all.

There are many ways they can do this in the coming weeks, but just for starters, the official announcement itself is just cause to call an urgent meeting of the Premier League to expel all of the teams involved and expunge their results (much like the National League did to Dover for a far less significant and far more justifiable act of non-compliance). The players representing these clubs can be told that they won't be selected any longer for their national teams, including at this year's European Championships.

The major pay TV companies such as Sky and BT Sport have also voiced a negative view of the new league, because they obviously realise the threat it poses to the Premier league and Champions League deals they already have. The onus is now on them to stick with these contracts and refuse to purchase or show this new competition. And just in case they make the mistake of doing a deal with the devil, then fans across the country and the world have the power to punish all of the participants in this "criminal act" (as Gary Neville calls it) by refusing to subscribe to watch the competition wherever it is shown. this applies not least to the fans of the rebel clubs themselves.

The saddest thing for me is to see Juventus sell their soul in this way, given their historic links with us. I'm sure this is attributable to the greedy men at the top of these clubs and not to the fans, who no doubt want to see their clubs continue to compete in domestic competition.

To be honest, the thought of a small number of clubs competing amongst themselves with no threat of relegation or elimination sounds rather boring and repetitive anyway. I'm much more excited by the prospect of Leicester City and West Ham battling it out for the Premier League title!

So come on the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, UEFA, FIFA and TV companies across Europe and the world. Do you have what it takes, punks?
    The problem with that is club's like Man City would take legal action costing millions which they can afford but the FA etc. can't.
    It will probably go like the Packer cricket revolution exciting at first then fans get bored.

Reading this through it looks like tv rights have or are going to DAZN.

it isnt replacing the premier league it is pretty much a new champions league just a different name BUT with 15 of the same teams each year.

It has gone through at the minute but there is a chance it wont go through once they all go back to the table to discuss which they will do.

From what I can gather games in this this Super League will be played midweek and not interfere with domestic league games, at least that is what they propose - oh yes! I can see the FA going along with that!

Also, FIFA has now threatened to ban individual players from international competition for life if they play in this new league.

If I had my way, and the clubs went ahead anyway, and after multiple warnings the whole thing collapsed into farce, I would eject these clubs from the Premier League and let them re-apply to the Football League along with the likes of Ilkeston and Basford.

Another thought, isn't there some international controlling body for referees? Someone will have to referee these games and if this SL tries to poach refs from it then similar restrictions ought to apply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    The problem with that is club's like Man City would take legal action costing millions which they can afford but the FA etc. can't.
    It will probably go like the Packer cricket revolution exciting at first then fans get bored.
    You're probably right about who can afford what, but legal action to do what? If a TV company doesn't want to show a certain game I can see no reason why it has to and if a sponsor wishes to no longer be associated with a club and withdraw its sponsorship then it can - can't it? Contracts do have a life span. Starve these clubs of the publicity they feed on and they will have to fall back on fans paying through the turnstiles.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    You're probably right about who can afford what, but legal action to do what? If a TV company doesn't want to show a certain game I can see no reason why it has to and if a sponsor wishes to no longer be associated with a club and withdraw its sponsorship then it can - can't it? Contracts do have a life span. Starve these clubs of the publicity they feed on and they will have to fall back on fans paying through the turnstiles.
    The problem as that so little revenue is generated in through the turnstiles at these clubs.

The major concern for me is the money generated from the so called super league. The Champions League is a real revenue earner and to tell teams like Leicester they no longer can qualify is a disgrace. The Champions League works as so called smaller sides in Europe get a crack at the elite. Teams like Ajax, Porto etc.. If this goes ahead and they are still allowed to play in the Premiership then the top 6 get an even bigger advantage with no real incentive for the rest to try and break in to it.

My concern is how does it affect us. We have no realistic aspirations of being a premier league side but can we survive with a new model that means less money falling down the Leagues?

The vast majority of money is through tv rights but Covid through lack of fans has cost Man Utd £100m so that is a huge chunk of money to lose.

The first step is England should test the waters and say nobody from these six clubs plays in the Euros.

If you make threats you have to stick to them.

The hypocrisy of all these players who’ve made all their money in the premier league and the PL itself criticising a “break away” is staggering. Same with the FA.

Whilst they are absolutely right about the ESL, they didn’t seem at all bothered when they were getting a bigger slice of the pie at the expense of the rest of the FL back in nineties.

The phrases I’m pretty sure they used were not a million miles from that the ESL are using.

Hypocrisy all round.
    Last edited by The_Don_ORiordan; 19-04-2021 at 08:31 AM.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast