+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League.

European Super League.

Given an announcement is due imminently regarding a new European Super League, I wonder what impact the decision will have on the existing English league system. If, as mentioned in the news, five, or maybe even six clubs will leave the Premier League, then would the Premier League invite clubs from the Championship to join them in order to maintain twenty teams? Should that happen, then surely there would be a domino effect across the English football league pyramid.

It seems to me, that in view of the above, it will become more important than ever for Notts to finish as high as possible this season. We may finish up in League Two by default.

Interesting to read your thoughts and comments. However, in my opinion, I hope the whole excercise comes to nought.

European Super League: UEFA furious at 11 major clubs signing up to breakaway plans

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56794673

Quote Originally Posted by CheltenhamPie View Post
    Given an announcement is due imminently regarding a new European Super League, I wonder what impact the decision will have on the existing English league system. If, as mentioned in the news, five, or maybe even six clubs will leave the Premier League, then would the Premier League invite clubs from the Championship to join them in order to maintain twenty teams? Should that happen, then surely there would be a domino effect across the English football league pyramid.

It seems to me, that in view of the above, it will become more important than ever for Notts to finish as high as possible this season. We may finish up in League Two by default.

Interesting to read your thoughts and comments. However, in my opinion, I hope the whole excercise comes to nought.
    We won't be high enough the league to get back.

I wouldn't hold your breath, Cheltenhampie. This appears to me to be the own goal to end all own goals in PR terms.

The breakaway teams are already being roundly condemned from all quarters, and if those that decided to go public with this idea expected any other reaction, it shows just how detached and deluded they have become. I doubt very much that this idea will even get off the ground, but it could do long-term damage to the reputations and ultimately the finances of the teams who have put their names to it. I'll be interested to see which of them cracks first with a backtracking press release along the lines that they were "only floating the idea for discussion and did not intend to undermine the integrity of their domestic league".

The main beneficiaries will probably be Bayern Munich and PSG, who've had the good sense to steer well clear of it!

Im not sure they do leave the premier league this replaces the CL is my understanding.

The premier league are saying they are not welcome if they join the super league but where do they get the tv money from without them ?

My guess is it wont happen.

It’s a disgrace.

Won't happen. Most Countries governing bodies inc our FA have already said it's a no-go.

The European governing body released a joint statement together with the English Football Association, Premier League Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), La Liga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) as well as Serie A on Sunday.

They said they will "remain united" in trying to stop the breakaway, using both judicial and sporting measures if required.

In a separate statement, the Premier League said it condemned the proposal as it "attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart" of domestic and European football.

I don't always agree with Gary Neville, but he's bang on here:

Neville makes some good points but if it did happen and Sky won the rights to it would he quit ???

I cant see how it takes off only 12 teams in it with no relegation I mean if you lose 5 of your first 6 games it is a dead season with nowt to play for !

What's the attraction?

£6 billion put into it to start it.

Nothing more to say.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast