+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super ( Greed ) League

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Wow , it's on .

Arsenal , Liverpool , Chelsea , Man Utd , Man City , Spurs , Barcelona , Real Madrid , Athletico Madrid , Juventus , Inter Milian , with three other clubs set to join but no news on who they are .

The founding clubs will initially each receive €3.5bn to commit to this .

They are also wanting to retain their PL status and the new European League will be a midweek competition outside of UEFA jurisdiction .

So basically they are moving away from UEFA and not the PL .

Interesting to see how this pans out , as it seems their beef is with the UEFA Champions League rather than the PL .

It goes without saying the €3.5bn initial payment gives these clubs a significant advantage over the rest of the PL and it's basically a closed shop .

If the PL sanction this just to protect their league then they are bottle merchants , nothing more and nothing less .

I suspect UEFA will see this massively differently .

This is going to get very ugly indeed .

The battle for who runs football in Europe , UEFA or the billionaire owners of the big clubs ? .
    I wish we could all talk rather than having to read its me not you animal.

Wow , it's on .

Arsenal , Liverpool , Chelsea , Man Utd , Man City , Spurs , Barcelona , Real Madrid , Athletico Madrid , Juventus , Inter Milian , with three other clubs set to join but no news on who they are .

The founding clubs will initially each receive €3.5bn to commit to this .

They are also wanting to retain their PL status and the new European League will be a midweek competition outside of UEFA jurisdiction .

So basically they are moving away from UEFA and not the PL .

Interesting to see how this pans out , as it seems their beef is with the UEFA Champions League rather than the PL .

It goes without saying the €3.5bn initial payment gives these clubs a significant advantage over the rest of the PL and it's basically a closed shop .

If the PL sanction this just to protect their league then they are bottle merchants , nothing more and nothing less .

I suspect UEFA will see this massively differently .

This is going to get very ugly indeed .

The battle for who runs football in Europe , UEFA or the billionaire owners of the big clubs ? .
    Just read the bbc. It says it's a 20 team league format (2 leagues of 10) playing home and away followed by an 8 team knockout stage. That's a minimum of 18 games I.e. another half a PL season run midweek. These clubs already moan about the amount of fixtures they have to play. Greed on a mammoth scale. (Sorry I deleted first post, hit the wrong button when editing).
    Last edited by Arblasterfromthepast; 19-04-2021 at 05:36 AM.

The thing is , Spurs , Arsenal , Liverpool and Chelsea aren't even in the Champions League spots right now .

However Leicester City and West Ham are , imagine how they must feel this morning .

In essence its a takeover by the big clubs and more or less insured themselves against failure to qualify for the champions league by eliminating the competition in the PL from the likes of West Ham and Leicester which in turn leads them to more money and protects their clubs financial value .

The actual winning of this new competition is in reality a side show .

The thing is , Spurs , Arsenal , Liverpool and Chelsea aren't even in the Champions League spots right now .

However Leicester City and West Ham are , imagine how they must feel this morning .

In essence its a takeover by the big clubs and more or less insured themselves against failure to qualify for the champions league by eliminating the competition in the PL from the likes of West Ham and Leicester which in turn leads them to more money and protects their clubs financial value .

The actual winning of this new competition is in reality a side show .
    Agreed. In fact look how many of these 12 founding clubs made the last 4 of this year's champion's league and Uefa competitions. It's not as if the 12 are totally dominant, just that are supposedly the wealthiest. Glad I'm not a fan of these clubs.

£3.5b is a stupid amount of money which only means one thing there's some big tv companies behind this i bet ya sky/bt knew about this in the planning stage.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
    £3.5b is a stupid amount of money which only means one thing there's some big tv companies behind this i bet ya sky/bt knew about this in the planning stage.
    Exactly. Wonder if there are any other Media Groups involved 😉

A wo listening to wireless this morning.

Our ex legend Gerry Taggart wo saying it's all abart American owners and their ideas of sport and money.

It's abart guaranteed income for the investors, They don't want to be involved with pesky, nuisance things like sporting competitions and winning on merit. They want the American MLS model where there is no relegation and income from the league is guaranteed each year no matter how badly the team plays.

Gary Neville was ranting on abart the Glaziers at Man U who seem to be key figures in all this and the American owners at Liverpool and Arsenal. He called these American investors "imposters" who have no regard for the history and traditions of the game.

I think it will end with these so-called big clubs having guaranteed places in an expanded Champions League with the remaining places being left to clubs in nations to compete on merit. They are chasing money from fans in Asia, mainly China and India.

I anticipate a strongly worded statement from our American, Chinese and Indian owners denouncing this move.

Given that the new Super League will seek to sell massive broadcasting rights in Asia and the US to sell guaranteed "elite" club games I wonder which MEDIA GROUP operating in countries bordering the PACIFIC Ocean (and its sub oceans) such as the US, China, India, Far East etc will be seeking to make a profit from all this ?

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Given that the new Super League will seek to sell massive broadcasting rights in Asia and the US to sell guaranteed "elite" club games I wonder which MEDIA GROUP operating in countries bordering the PACIFIC Ocean (and its sub oceans) such as the US, China, India, Far East etc will be seeking to make a profit from all this ?
    Lol. I knew you wouldn't let me down SB.

It because they know TARN is coming up to kick ass. Barnsley in the champions league in 2 years... wonder what's odds

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast