+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yankification of football

yankification of football

if the idea of a 12 team invitation only european super league does not fill you with horror and disgust, I don't believe you have a soul! America might enjoy watching a peril free sport where your team can only enjoy going through to close season or sit exactly in the same position in the same league every single year... but that is not how we play sports here!
    Promotion and relegation is the life blood of English football, its what unites the fans of Crewe, Barnsley, Southampton et al, the chance to move on up into the higher echelons is what brings the fanes to the ground. Any team wishing to give credence to this idea should be banned from the FA, and demoted back to the central League when they come back cap in hand. I hate the European cup as is, they play too many nonsense games now, and they are looking to expand it?
    It should go back involving only champions, and give it back some soul. The europa cup is little better than the inter toto cup.

We left the EU to have more say in our country only for our elite teams to decide they are really European teams?
    this idea needs to be binned!

Very true Mondaze, you’ve captured the thoughts of many a fan.

They are not the big 6, they are the Sky 6. Only the Dippers and Urinal are big.

The dream of football was to win local and progress. Flit up and down the tiers accepting reward and relegation full of emotion.

How they can call it the Champions league when to qualify, all you need to do is finish 4th. Now they don’t even have to qualify or get relegated.

It’s not a sport anymore, it’s a franchise v another franchise. Urinal and the dippers will be no more.

I saw a statement today that read, “Football, created by the poor, stolen by the rich”. The game was lost long ago.

Just been on the Liverpool and United forums, they the fans are seething, they do not want this at all, fans not consulted only the greedy effing owners!
    A statement read out says the start of the league will be next season!
    Kick em out now, ban them from all competitions and the players from the Euros. This is officially the end of football guys! Why now would our owners invest anymore of their money??

this should put to bed once and for all the premise of the big club. The big club myth has been marring the game for the last twenty years. There are no big clubs, there are just clubs. Football isn't a franchise event it is a religion. Fans do not idly switch their allegiance from one team to another. I would rather watch the Blues every week (shock horror) than pretend to care for a franchise that was above the cut and thrust of relegation and promotion. Let The so-called dirty dozen take their franchise and lets see how many actually bother to watch it. Globetrotters win my Ar$e!

Shall we just refuse to play Man Citeh on Wednesday in protest, i think both Citeh and Liverpool tonight v Leeds have got off lightly, had there been home crowds, they could have really vented thier disgust!

It will be interesting to see what the players of these clubs decide to do. I can’t see much of an appetite for it especially if they get banned from all competitions and international representation. Mass transfer requests perhaps? I feel for the fans of these clubs. I’d hate it if Villa were involved.

And what would it mean for Villa? Not too much to our detriment I wouldn’t think. Pull six clubs up from the championship and off we go. A far more even league too! I suspect all talk of Jack going elsewhere would stop as well. We know how much he wants to represent his country.

Hope it doesn’t happen though.

Yet another example of the rich making a money grab for more wealth, it's obscene and the number of people who think this is a good idea is likely to be small, mainly those with a controlling financial interest.

The fanbase of Liverpool hasn't changed much over the years and I expect they will be legion in voicing & demonstrating their displeasure. United retain a hardcore support who despite the Glazers remain loyal and I think they will be the same. City & Chelsea are full of daytrippers who don't look upon the game the same way, perhaps the same can be said of Arsenal. As for Tottenham being in this self-titled big 6, utterly laughable - it's as if a big stadium suddenly makes you credible.

Football as we know is all about the ebb and flow of your club's fortunes, the banter at work, down the pub, on social media & of course the hope. The Prem since its inception has been won by Blackburn, Leeds and Leicester which is great for the game - unfortunately most seasons the mega rich prevail so the structure needs be changed to level the playing field and give more to grass roots football.

Proud of our CEO today, spot on with his comments - I feel sorry for the players in a way, many of whom will have grown up playing with the same passions as us supporters.

Hit them with a transfer embargo first then just ban them from all domestic comps. Its happening guys, this is the new WW3....

Wave em goodbye, making sure that they shut the door behind them. JP Morgan and the Disney Chanel will get bored and fkuc them off, after the 10th Real v Man U fixture in 3 years.

I won’t miss any of them. The question is, will the then-Premier League, tell them to eff off? No of course they won’t.

All this bravado from 'spitter Cara' and 'Red Nev', will lead to nothing. The Sky 6 will be fluffing dodgy handouts all over the place. Nothing will happen to them. They may even 'gracefully' reverse their decision, for their cherished 5 subs and extended CL.

All over now guys, its officially collapsed but I would still deduct points and possibly expell them from CL next season, the intent was there, they signed up. It cannot go unpunished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)