+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steve Evans and Managerial Comparisons

Steve Evans and Managerial Comparisons

First of all this isn't a thread to get the him back but I think there should be a lot more respect for him than I, as a voyeur on here, sees.

Whilst I expect his spending ability was not to TS's liking in the end, I don't think anyone can deny that he created a championship team which looked as comfortable as King Ronnie's teams.

Bugger me, I remember going to Villa in the cup thinking, 'yeah, we'll do these'... We didn't, but that's an example of the confidence I felt when watching his team (whoever might be in it).

Personally, and based on the comments I see on here, I think there should be a shed load more respect given to his achievements at Rotherham. Rant over on that.

Only other times I had that feeling in my time in watching us was when King Ronnie was in charge in the second level 2 season and Billy Mac from Aug 89 to Dec 89, I think Stoke quelled that one.

I have never felt that whilst Warne has been in charge. Doubt for every game always creeps in for me, no matter how much better we should based on stats and recent form.

I'm not saying can him but I am saying the hero worship needs to stop for both him and Barker.

I get that Ronnie's and Steve E's management styles would be less palatable for current era players but can't help but think that in their prime they would have made sure our current players would be safe in this league by now.

Whatever his means he certainly built a good team and gave us some great performances and memories in the playoff wins over PNE and Orient. However, I think you could probably say the same with what PW built to give us the same memories against Scunny and Shrewsbury. SE did survive one year in the Championship but I don't recall that being a walk in the park although we did get 49 (46) points, more than we have or are likely to get under PW.

I lost all respect for Evans when he had a Ben Gunn on the team bus. Eeeewwww.
    Last edited by sota; 19-04-2021 at 02:32 AM.

I don’t care if the manager is likeable or not, winning games is a must with some entertainment in is a good thing.

One thing I never did was cut my nose of to spite my face.
    I can’t believe that one or two didn’t go to games when Evans was here, ****ing mental

Warney is/has done a decent job considering he was thrown in at the deep end but he’s still making stupid mistakes that cost us points, he needs to stop bottling it and go on to keep us up, staring on Wednesday with three points
    Last edited by millertop; 19-04-2021 at 06:41 AM.

I do miss the unpredictability of Evans era and the cavalier, gung ho approach. We've made great strides this seasons in being more competitive. Rarely this season have we played terrible and rolled over (cov away & home, wycombe at home) but rarely have we played exceptionally and bossed proceedings (Middlesbrough away, the two Bristol city fixtures). It's all a bit predictable. We either win 1-0 or lose 1-0, with the odd 2-1 chucked in. Whichever side scores first, qpr aside, is bound to win.

The sad thing is, that I genuinely believe we cold arrest this pattern and become less predictable, if we could stop up for 3 or 4 years.

The one thing you got from a Evans side was. We didn't need to score first to win a game. You always knew we could score late on to win/draw a game.

Warnes team is not far away from a decent championship side. The amount of games we have lost by a single goal is adding up and the amount of games we have looked the better side and either drawn or lost the game. I said from the start of the season, if were relying on Smith and vassell to keep us up It ain't happening. Add Hurst to the mix and were playing every game with one hand tied behind our backs. Evans would have knocked TS door down on January of the strikes were not firing to get another couple in