+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Only Hope

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Based on recent performances(?), can you really see that happening?
    No, not really...not al all.

But I remain hopeful, just because I'm an optimist in terms of the table. Until it's mathematically impossible for us to reach the playoffs, then I'll give in.

It's a stupid philosophy, and one that I know will bite me in the arse, but in my opinion, it's better than resigning at this stage. we're still in with a shout and football is a funny old game innit?

it's always the hope that kills us but **** it x

I'll be watching but hope is almost completely extinguished now. Got very little confidence in the judgement and decision making of the coaches. It's mostly on them IMO... drop your best players and stuff the team with defenders, when has that ever won a promotion?

This wood rot started long before the birch.

This season was a right off long ago. Barring one decent run of wins (which was never convincing) we’ve never really threatened to be anything more than a top half of the table team.

A clear out, a higher tempo and more physical approach and the players to achieve it is required for next season.

I have absolutely no confidence that is what we will get. But we shouldn’t throw the birch under a bus quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    This wood rot started long before the birch.

This season was a right off long ago. Barring one decent run of wins (which was never convincing) we’ve never really threatened to be anything more than a top half of the table team.

A clear out, a higher tempo and more physical approach and the players to achieve it is required for next season.

I have absolutely no confidence that is what we will get. But we shouldn’t throw the birch under a bus quite yet.
    Nice post...

Playoffs never looked at-risk to me under Ardley, but at the same time promotion seemed unlikely, based on numbers. Unless Roberts came back 100% and we hammered the season home. But we now know that was very unlikely to happen.

Anyone expecting things to magically get better with a new manager was ignoring... basically all of football history. Things might get better but it almost never happens right way. You almost always pay a cost in team coherence and weird results immediately after changing managers.

Changing managers when we did made promotion much less likely, and that's the expected outcome. I don't see any cause for panic just yet. We won't have even a vague idea of IB's long term impact until about a third of the way through next season. For now I hope he continues experimenting with tactics and giving the up-and-comers game time.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Other than giving you lot the opportunity to go to a few games ultimately its pointless. Even if we make the play offs there is no chance of winning them. We are god awful and the new bloke is doing nothing to inspire any kind of confidence unfortunately. I am more worried about next season than this one. Anyone know which players are out of contract at the end of the season as there will surely be a very large reshuffling of the pack.
    The worse we become, the lower we sink and the less attractive we appear to potential decent players - does the chance of playing for a professional team managed by an amateur appeal to ambitious, talented, youngsters?

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    The worse we become, the lower we sink and the less attractive we appear to potential decent players - does the chance of playing for a professional team managed by an amateur appeal to ambitious, talented, youngsters?
    We will find out in the close season although its too early to refer to him as an amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Other than giving you lot the opportunity to go to a few games ultimately its pointless. Even if we make the play offs there is no chance of winning them. We are god awful and the new bloke is doing nothing to inspire any kind of confidence unfortunately. I am more worried about next season than this one. Anyone know which players are out of contract at the end of the season as there will surely be a very large reshuffling of the pack.
    I feel the same about next season too.

2 or 3 of the best/better teams will still be in the NL with us (assuming we don't go up), if that's Stockport and/or Wrexham they will be very well backed financially.

Assuming Grimsby and Southend come down, and you could argue they are comparable sized clubs to Notts, they will have the £0.5m payments, Notts will have none.

Therefore it's not unrealistic to expect that Notts will be competing with 3 or 4 other clubs for the better available players.

None of us know the financial clout or willingness to spend of our owners, but it could be a number of years before (hoping it's a when not an IF) Notts return to L2. I actually enjoyed the first season in the NL, different away days, different teams, different playing styles, being one of the biggest 2 or 3 clubs in this league.

All that initial feeling is quickly ebbing away....

Quote Originally Posted by AllNottsAreWe View Post
    I actually enjoyed the first season in the NL, different away days, different teams, different playing styles, being one of the biggest 2 or 3 clubs in this league.

All that initial feeling is quickly ebbing away....
    I seem to recall a few Luton/Stags fans coming on here, shortly after we got relegated, warning us that this is exactly how it would go.

Teams coming down from L2 are often in a big mess hence the relegation, Yeovil and ourselves were for example. From what I've read Grimsby and Southend both have major off field issues too.

This view is backed up by the stats, as how many newly relegated teams with the advantage of the parachute payment go back up either in year one or year two in the NL? It's a surprisingly small percentage for perceived big clubs with a financial advantage.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast