+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Stand to be renamed

South Stand to be renamed

The latest Well Society email brings the news that they have decided to invite suggestions for the naming of the South Stand. I'm not sure about the need for this but here is the announcement.

"We are planning to rename the South Stand at Fir Park and - as owners - we want you to choose what it should be.

As you know, our other three stands are named after club legends John Hunter, Davie Cooper and Phil O’Donnell. Now, it's time for the South Stand to also pay tribute to another 'Well great.

To have your say, simply click here and submit your suggestion for who should be honored before the deadline of Tuesday 11 May.

We will then announce the new name of the South Stand on Tuesday 18 May."

MCLEAN's 1991 STAND

Given the tendency of the club to ignore everything beforehand, 'The 91 stand for the 1991 Scottish Cup Winners when we won the cup in 91' wouldn't be surprising though.

Voted for Stevenson though, after Hunter I don't think there's anyone else who comes close to deserving major recognition as much as him.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Given the tendency of the club to ignore everything beforehand, 'The 91 stand for the 1991 Scottish Cup Winners when we won the cup in 91' wouldn't be surprising though.

Voted for Stevenson though, after Hunter I don't think there's anyone else who comes close to deserving major recognition as much as him.
    I went for MacFadyen; 52 goals in the league the season we won it.

A fair shout, as would be record player Ferrier, but Stevenson is the only one to have delivered a trophy as player and manager, the only manager to have won two trophies, a one-club man who won the title and played over 500 games etc.

I don't begrudge Cooper or POD their stand honours due to the circumstances but there's a fair few folk who the club were rather late in recognizing in some form or other.

Given he signed and/or played many of our most fondly remembered players, how about the Bobby Ancell stand?

One name that surely has to come to mind is Joe Wark who played 469 league appearances a post war record never likely to be beaten in today’s football in Scotland. He started playing for the WELL in 1968 until 1984, he also appeared in goal for us in emergencies and I don’t think he ever conceded a goal.

I’m never really fussed on the idea of naming stands but I swear to God I will blow a gasket if we name it ‘The James McFadden’ stand.

I'm quite content with the South Stand.

Tut, tut JWOK - not content with that name at all ... should be the 'South, by South-East Stand' if we're taking that line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)