+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Monoculars

O/T Monoculars

Seeing how the football season is coming to an end and summer will soon be upon us, just wondered, is anyone into ornithology? Actually it's a great time to be out and about as it's mating/nesting season for some birds.

Just received my 40x60 monoculars, yes I bought several one for myself and others as gifts.

Absolutely amazed at the clarity and distance viewing. Bearing in mind I'm in Brinsworth, from my bedroom window I can clearly see Hoober Stand and that is approximately 7.7 miles away....outstanding!

Also bought the attachment to fix my mobile to the monocular, in order to take great shots. I recently got my Canon E60D out for a walk around Wentworth and, I forgot just how heavy it was with all the lenses etc. This will make a decent change for a while

Looking forward to taking this little number on my fishing trips for close ups of the wildlife etc.
    Last edited by Brin; 24-04-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Are you a member of RSPB?

If not it's worth joining, and not expensive.

We've got Old Moor reserve near us, hides currently closed but even walking the paths you can see a lot of different birds and wildlife

Decent cafe there as well when open.

BTW, invest in a wrist strap, a friend of mine lost an expensive phone when it dropped out of his hand into the river

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Are you a member of RSPB?

If not it's worth joining, and not expensive.

We've got Old Moor reserve near us, hides currently closed but even walking the paths you can see a lot of different birds and wildlife

Decent cafe there as well when open.
    Not as yet Grist but I have friends who are. I'll see how I get on and let you know. Thanks for the info on Old Moor reserve I'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Not as yet Grist but I have friends who are. I'll see how I get on and let you know. Thanks for the info on Old Moor reserve I'll take a look.
    Biggish free car park there also.

Just looked at the subscriptions for the RSPB and they're pretty modest @ £6 a month. This covers a family of 2 adults and up to 5 children so great value indeed.

I've looked at the site you mentioned and it is a vast layout of over 89-hectare (220-acre). Plenty of hides to use and looks well laid out.
    It does mention the fact there is a charge to enter it but, RSPB members are free so the bonus' start immediately if you're a member.

I’ve noticed a lot of European finches about a lately which is good because normally it’s ****ing pigeons blackbirds in our garden

I’ve go binoculars when I go to nature reserves which hasn’t been often, hopefully a few soon
    Last edited by millertop; 24-04-2021 at 09:40 AM.

MT, my next door neighbour and one over from him, have several bird tables out. It's not uncommon to see greenfinch, blue tits, chaffinch etc all feeding well.

They will have to be on their guard at some point though as we have a sparrowhawk that descends on the gardens each year and it takes no prisoners. It's usually one of the ring necked doves that cops for it or a pigeon. Brutally cruel to see it rip apart a bird fully alive fighting for its live but, you don't get involved as it's nature and they all have to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    MT, my next door neighbour and one over from him, have several bird tables out. It's not uncommon to see greenfinch, blue tits, chaffinch etc all feeding well.

They will have to be on their guard at some point though as we have a sparrowhawk that descends on the gardens each year and it takes no prisoners. It's usually one of the ring necked doves that cops for it or a pigeon. Brutally cruel to see it rip apart a bird fully alive fighting for its live but, you don't get involved as it's nature and they all have to feed.
    Currently got 2 Muscovy ducks sat on front lawn

Ugly buggers

I’d love to see this outside my house

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56819018

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    I’d love to see this outside my house

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56819018
    So you can look out of your window and in good Homer Simpson say

"Doh"

"A deer"

" a female deer"

Etc