+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don Revie's five-a-side match

Don Revie's five-a-side match

Hey up lads.
    Now then, a Leeds fan mate of mine at work told me an amusing story last night about Don arranging a five-a-side match, between his teams English and Scottish players.
    And apparently the match, if you can call it that, was so fiesty and competitive it had to be cancelled after just 5 minutes lol.

Now who would have been the players ehh, if it did happen...
    Eng: Harvey, Hunter, Charlton, Clarke, Jones ?.
    Sco: McQueen, Bremner, Lorimer, Jordan, and a keeper ?.

harvey was scottish

Wasn’t a one off Acido - was a regular occurrence and they used to kick lumps out of each other.

If you look back at what some of the players said it probably helped with the attitude on the pitch.

Can you imagine playing Gray, Gray, Collins, Bremner and Lorimer - they wouldn’t need a keeper

Vs

Charlton Hunter Jones Clark Maddeley again no keeper required

With a certain gentle Irishman as ref!

It makes for an amusing and interesting story Hopey, but wasn't Don taking a big risk getting all of his star players to kick the hell out of each other lol.
    And was that Bobby Collins in that list, another future manager at our club ?.
    And I suppose in a fiesty five-a-side, who needs keepers eh, they're just a nuisance.
    Btw I take it you mean Johnny Giles as the ref!.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    It makes for an amusing and interesting story Hopey, but wasn't Don taking a big risk getting all of his star players to kick the hell out of each other lol.
    And was that Bobby Collins in that list, another future manager at our club ?.
    And I suppose in a fiesty five-a-side, who needs keepers eh, they're just a nuisance.
    Btw I take it you mean Johnny Giles as the ref!.
    Apparently when it got too heated they would call it a day and head back to the dressing rooms. The most angry Revie apparently got was when Norman Hunter took Bremner out at Hampden in a home international!

It's funny isn't it how different players become when they play for their national team, they aren't the same player or even the same person anymore.

We used to have a chubby midfield dynamo called Ronnie Glavin and he was idolised by fans. But it would have been interesting to see the difference in him, if he ever got to play for the Jock team against England.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    It's funny isn't it how different players become when they play for their national team, they aren't the same player or even the same person anymore.

We used to have a chubby midfield dynamo called Ronnie Glavin and he was idolised by fans. But it would have been interesting to see the difference in him, if he ever got to play for the Jock team against England.
    I can’t imagine some of today’s players lasting very long in some of the ‘friendly’ practice games of years gone by

Look at the famous Leeds v Chelsea 1970 cup final, on the lovely old muddy pitch lol. If that match was played under todays rules and with Var, almost every single player would get sent off.

But footy was a simpler and much more enjoyable game in the 70s and 80s.

Remember being at a friendly in the 80s vs Anderlecht. some dude ended micky Thomas´s (of Man U fame) career at Leeds before it started with a rediculous tackle, so Noel Blake got sent off for calmly walking over to the Belgian and sparking him out with one punch.
    Friendly football in the 80s. good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    Remember being at a friendly in the 80s vs Anderlecht. some dude ended micky Thomas´s (of Man U fame) career at Leeds before it started with a rediculous tackle, so Noel Blake got sent off for calmly walking over to the Belgian and sparking him out with one punch.
    Friendly football in the 80s. good stuff.
    Err yes I do know who Micky Thomas was Blanco lol.
    I don't think 80s football was better or cleaner and less violent for example, but I just enjoy the memories much more and it will always be my favourite era.

Did you hear about the story that Micky Thomas himself likes to talk about, and it sort of involves the word 'screwing' ?.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)