+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you take on a one last season payday player.

Would you take on a one last season payday player.

If there is one out there that could really help us on the field then yes.One good old Pro that knows the game.

Taking "one last season payday" as a metaphor rather than literally, im not against the principle. Whilst risky, for every blackstock theres a grealish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    If there is one out there that could really help us on the field then yes.One good old Pro that knows the game.
    Hate to say it but this kind of player(s) was/were required in January!

As for a pro for one last push, you have to weigh up their fitness and potential breakdown etc over a season. Also factor in how big would their swan song wage would have to be? Brilliant if it comes off but, I don't think Warne would go for it or Stewart would sanction it as he's been stung enough times over the last 4 seasons.

It's Wood, isn't it?

Depends on who and if he would actually play at least half the season but money could be a stumbling block

That’s the difference grealish came just to play…..clearly blackstock came just for the money…

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    If there is one out there that could really help us on the field then yes. One good old Pro that knows the game.

The policy of bringing in younger players, developing them & selling them on works to a tee for clubs like us & Barnsley. The main difference being that their academy has been significantly more successful then ours

I'd only bring in an older, steady head on a pay as you play. Potter and S.Macdonald were two excellent older pros who spent the majority of the time injured. As did Billy Jones. Dextor Blackstock is the obvious example of someone just coming for the pay check. I think Tony Stewart is wary of being stung again and Paul Warne is wary of having half his squad in the physio room

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    That’s the difference grealish came just to play…..clearly blackstock came just for the money…
    Absolutely right Clarkey but the trouble is we only know that with hindsight, not at the time of signing. Its a risk but it most certainly can pay dividends. I think back to the signing of steve thompson and how good he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Hate to say it but this kind of player(s) was/were required in January!

As for a pro for one last push, you have to weigh up their fitness and potential breakdown etc over a season. Also factor in how big would their swan song wage would have to be? Brilliant if it comes off but, I don't think Warne would go for it or Stewart would sanction it as he's been stung enough times over the last 4 seasons.
    quite right what you are saying. This what I mean by speculate to accumulate. By not going that extra mile how much gave been lost in revenue thro tv money, lower gate receipts, sponsorship. Is it around six million?. Yes I know all about this season with COVID but this season mirrored the last time we were in the championship. The chairman says Rotherham have a sound financial plan which is probably true but as for the playing side of the club there is no long time plan .

So anyone naming any names?

Watching Lincoln v Sunderland I see McGeady (35) is out of contract at the end of the season. Too old? Not a big enough name to fit the category? Not good enough?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast