+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorhomes

Motorhomes

Anyone had one, my brother in law would like us to go half's on one.

Thought about it once, but decided against. Problem being that when you travel with them , you're a bit stuck for other transport when you get to your destination (obviously unless you're a keen walker/cyclist etc)

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOP115 View Post
    Thought about it once, but decided against. Problem being that when you travel with them , you're a bit stuck for other transport when you get to your destination (obviously unless you're a keen walker/cyclist etc)
    Hi, thanks for the reply i've got mobility problems nether thought of it from that angle . My wife has always wanted one. The brother in law is going to sell his twin wheel base caravan and Range , he's fed up of towing a big rig and running 2 Range Rovers.
    I've left up to my wife and in laws, but it's quite a big financial commitment, needs some serious thoughts.

Seriously Lloyd......do NOT go into a joint ownership on any type of property.

It’ll only lead to resentment and arguments and it’s a terrible “investment”.......have a bonfire with your money if you’ve go cash to waste on a folly such as this.

Who gets to use it and when?

Other relatives wanting to use it?

What if you don’t want certain people they know using it?

The bills and the upkeep as well, one side always comes off worst.

What happens if one of the participants dies, would your wife want to go on her own with them.

I can’t think of a more horrible holiday for someone with mobility issues than having to stay in a thing like this.

Probably the worst financial decision of your life if you do it.

Politely decline and if they’re that desperate they’ll buy it anyway and you can always rent it off them.

Please don’t do it mate.....PLEASE!!

Not shared but a mate of mine bought a second hand mobile home. He used it to travel across the UK and Europe selling crystals and home made jewellery etc. at festivals. Rented his house out on short term leases and took an electric scooter with him for transportation when he hooked up anywhere. Loved it.

Ed: side note. It wasn't one of the huge rigs but had a decent sized kitchen and shower etc.

I have a classic 76 VW camper, have had it for 25 years and wouldn’t part with, it spends most of its time tucked away in the garage but over the last year with extra time on my hands it’s gone through something of a restoration, Mrs P and me will have a few weekends away over the summer usually a fairly short hop to Aldeburgh or Southwold, it’s very small by motor home standards but that has its advantages in parking and storage etc and works well for the two of us. As Mick has said lots of potential pitfalls with joint ownership could you look for something smaller/less expensive and own it yourself?

As an ‘all season’ caravaner for many years, we have had, and still do have (Covid apart) many enjoyable trips away. Our norm is a 4/5 night stay on small sites (no more than 5 vans allowed) with electric hook up. Coastal paths and Welsh hills favoured.
    Scoop and mickd both make extremely valid comments.
    Scoop is exactly spot on with transport once away. On sites, it will be necessary to unplug electric and water and take off in the motor home, using it as a car. (Leaving a ‘reserved sign’ on your pitch) Alternatively, it is becoming more common for Motorhomes to tow a small vehicle. The overall cost therefore is rapidly rising !
    Mickd’s shared ownership caution is also key. We have relatives who successfully shared a holiday home. Essentially their own timeshare.
    An agreement specified allocated dates, sales options, maintenance costs agreement, sub-letting etc.etc. It worked fine for these particular 2 families, but I’m sure you will recognise the potential issues.
    My advice would be to firstly rent one and have a couple of trips yourself and assess how you got on.
    Don’t be too put off though...accentuate the positive and avoid the negative!

WE had a static caravan at Stratford for some years and there was a large area for towed caravans and mobile homes. How people can call it a holiday in them I do not know. They were linked up to electricity but they were virtually on top of one another. There was no chance of a quiet evening or afternoon sitting out if either side of you had a couple of kids doing what kids do naturally which is play at the top of their voices and running between the motors. And as for sharing, as above my advice would be to steer clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    WE had a static caravan at Stratford for some years and there was a large area for towed caravans and mobile homes. How people can call it a holiday in them I do not know. They were linked up to electricity but they were virtually on top of one another. There was no chance of a quiet evening or afternoon sitting out if either side of you had a couple of kids doing what kids do naturally which is play at the top of their voices and running between the motors. And as for sharing, as above my advice would be to steer clear.
    Not always the case Joy buddy. With a towing van it is possible to select certain criteria.
    Virtually all of our caravanning trips have been to small sites which specifically allow no more than 5 vans and no children.
    I realise that with a static matters are different.
    For us (me and ‘she who must be obeyed’) the ability to make a last minute decision to just go...is great. We’re fortunate to be able to keep our small towing van discretely at the side of our house and able to shoot off with little notice.
    Clearly both being retired helps !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)