+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Bamford/Peter Crouch

Patrick Bamford/Peter Crouch

Bamford is the guest on this weeks Peter Crouch podcast - was quite a good listen.

He is very articulate.

Has a career in the broadcasting booth or elsewhere in the game when he quits playing.

Forgot to mention.... represents us well.

It has been mentioned before but worth repeating - Bamford is multilingual which helps during the game - he clearly thinks about what he says unlike some of the planks in the game.

pisses me off when players like Bamford get labelled "toryboy", "toff" etc, just because the lad has a brain, and goes to the trouble of using it. Hes a terrific ambassador for the game and our club, level headed, grounded and unselfish. unlikely to be blowing crack at degenerate prostitute parties, or fiddling grannies like some footballers we know. Every credit to him.

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    It has been mentioned before but worth repeating - Bamford is multilingual which helps during the game - he clearly thinks about what he says unlike some of the planks in the game.
    Never thought I would say this from when he first joined (he used to be very frustrating to watch) but he has turned into a model pro and a great example to kids - good to get a decent education and most importantly keep working at your game every day.

Bamford is an outstanding pro and mellow with it for me and deserves the plaudits !

Obviously Bielsa has had a major influence on him as he could have easily been just a Steve Morison type of forward
    Similar to Teddy Sheringham skill wise for me - reading his book the young Sheringham was told he was too slow to reach the highest level of the game. But he showed his detractors that a lack of pace could be overcome by intelligence.A lot of credit went to his mentor Brian Clough for his long playing career winning three Premier League titles,an FA Cup and a Champions League.Folks had doubted him throughout his career but he always stated that he'd been given something special in life to use which was "a football intelligence" which Clough detailed eyes had worked on.

Ian Wright wrote in his book Sheringham was five yards quicker upstairs and already knew what was happening before the ball came to him. Dennis Bergkamp was the same. He’d already had a look before receiving the ball. He never wasted a pass especially when he got into the last third. He’d pass the ball to me in a situation where it negated the defender - both totally unselfish players Wright wrote.

Not easy for players who are able to pause the game and take in a 360 degree camera angle of the action and when not on the ball are always available for it.

An elite footballer performs 150 to 250 intense actions during a game according to a study in the Journal of Sports Sciences published in the magazine Four Four Two.For every one of those actions there’s a mass of information to digest including visual cues, instructions from the coach, calculating force and angles, spatial awareness of a wide area – all of which a player has to process in real time to make a quick, potentially game changing decision. On top of that they have to cope with the emotional pros and cons being shouted from the spectator stands.

Nuff said as Bamford does an incredible job for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    pisses me off when players like Bamford get labelled "toryboy", "toff" etc, just because the lad has a brain, and goes to the trouble of using it. Hes a terrific ambassador for the game and our club, level headed, grounded and unselfish. unlikely to be blowing crack at degenerate prostitute parties, or fiddling grannies like some footballers we know. Every credit to him.
    Ha Ha - I was thinking of the same player when I mentioned plank as your Granny fiddler

great minds Cal....

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Bamford is an outstanding pro and mellow with it for me and deserves the plaudits !

Obviously Bielsa has had a major influence on him as he could have easily been just a Steve Morison type of forward
    Similar to Teddy Sheringham skill wise for me - reading his book the young Sheringham was told he was too slow to reach the highest level of the game. But he showed his detractors that a lack of pace could be overcome by intelligence.A lot of credit went to his mentor Brian Clough for his long playing career winning three Premier League titles,an FA Cup and a Champions League.Folks had doubted him throughout his career but he always stated that he'd been given something special in life to use which was "a football intelligence" which Clough detailed eyes had worked on.

Ian Wright wrote in his book Sheringham was five yards quicker upstairs and already knew what was happening before the ball came to him. Dennis Bergkamp was the same. He’d already had a look before receiving the ball. He never wasted a pass especially when he got into the last third. He’d pass the ball to me in a situation where it negated the defender - both totally unselfish players Wright wrote.

Not easy for players who are able to pause the game and take in a 360 degree camera angle of the action and when not on the ball are always available for it.

An elite footballer performs 150 to 250 intense actions during a game according to a study in the Journal of Sports Sciences published in the magazine Four Four Two.For every one of those actions there’s a mass of information to digest including visual cues, instructions from the coach, calculating force and angles, spatial awareness of a wide area – all of which a player has to process in real time to make a quick, potentially game changing decision. On top of that they have to cope with the emotional pros and cons being shouted from the spectator stands.

Nuff said as Bamford does an incredible job for the club.
    Yup some players can just see/read the game and process what is in front of them so much more quickly than others - I guess a lot of those players are described as having some much more time on the ball’.

From what Bamford has been saying a lot of the drills Bielsa gets them doing gets them thinking about space and stretching the game and the five seconds before they receive the ball which goes to show how good a coach MB really is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)