+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A message from Burch

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Let’s face it the reality is that our form in the last 16 games basically since Dagenham has been poor and that’s regardless of who has been manager. I don’t think we would have been much better had NA carried on. Maybe two or three points. I think the two games a week has done us.
    I wonder how much the two games a week has been a factor in our decline. Leaving aside the fact that we can’t be the only club to have been in this position, and that part of it was “self-inflicted” due to our run in the FA Trophy, it highlights a few things:

1 We’ve had a bad season for injuries, making it impossible to rotate the squad: Roberts, McCrory, Thomas and Brindley were big losses, plus Turner and Lacey were both sidelined for spells. Consequently, some players have been flogged to death and are running on empty (Wootton, Rawlinson, Reeves, Doyle).

2 None of the new recruits (permanent or loan) have improved the side or been able to step up when required. It’s a long list, but is topped by Reeves, Ruben, Sam, Knight, Chicksen and Griffiths.

3 A story about Spurs’ decline since December rang a few bells: Training sessions under Jose became less intense due to the midweek games, with sessions focusing mainly on combating the next opponent defensively. Little work was being done on offense. Sounds very similar to how things went under NA since January.

Lots of lessons for the owners to learn - and that’s without even looking at the Burchnall question.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I wonder how much the two games a week has been a factor in our decline. Leaving aside the fact that we can’t be the only club to have been in this position, and that part of it was “self-inflicted” due to our run in the FA Trophy, it highlights a few things:

1 We’ve had a bad season for injuries, making it impossible to rotate the squad: Roberts, McCrory, Thomas and Brindley were big losses, plus Turner and Lacey were both sidelined for spells. Consequently, some players have been flogged to death and are running on empty (Wootton, Rawlinson, Reeves, Doyle).

2 None of the new recruits (permanent or loan) have improved the side or been able to step up when required. It’s a long list, but is topped by Reeves, Ruben, Sam, Knight, Chicksen and Griffiths.

3 A story about Spurs’ decline since December rang a few bells: Training sessions under Jose became less intense due to the midweek games, with sessions focusing mainly on combating the next opponent defensively. Little work was being done on offense. Sounds very similar to how things went under NA since January.

Lots of lessons for the owners to learn - and that’s without even looking at the Burchnall question.
    Its been the same for a lot of teams and we are better resourced than most if not all. Ultimately we have recruited poorly and been unlucky.

Dennis left and Sam came in. Dennis was great at this level. poor hire.
    Thomas left and Effiong came in. Thomas was good at this level. Seen the post on here, nobody knows what happened.
    Knowles has done ok in patches. ok hire.
    Roberts our best player by a mile injured all season. Unlucky.
    Casper Sloth replaced by ???? Poor hire.
    Osborne replaced by Rodrigues. Would sooner have had Osborne in hindsight. poor hire.

The midfield recruitment was a bit light overall the attackers were a big gamble. And they definitely have not worked out. I would get rid of Sam & Rodrigues as soon as possible. It pains me to say it with Rodrigues as I had high hopes but Sam will only be remembered for one thing.

Come on Burchy, the Great Southern Land is behind you. Well I am anyway....not sure about the bogan down the coast.

That's how I see it NW6...pretty much spot on. Just highlights how bad the recruiting has been when our vast squad, compared to the likes of the mighty Sutton et al, is unable to trouble the top 3. I don't believe for one minute that had Sloth remained, he would have been any good at this level.

Inadequate midfield recruitment has been the biggest problem. There basically has been no change from last season's criticised midfield. The problem simply wasn't addressed.

Attacking wise, very unlucky to lose both Roberts and Thomas basically all season. Nobody could have seen that coming.

As for our young foreign flair signings, RR and Sam. I believe fans expected too much of them in their first season based on you tube clips. You would hope one of the two was going to prove productivity and a good signing this season but overall both haven't although RR certainly was looking like a success just a few months ago (as per the interesting detailed scouting report we saw on here).

Still time for him to come good so I certainly wouldn't jettison. A lot will depend upon their respective attitudes and levels of desire.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    We might have scraped points from being 2 goals down, but we did it. It can't simply be written off because we were 'lucky'. Those 'maybe' 2 or 3 points could be the difference between play-offs or not.

I am behind IB totally now but balance and fairness is needed.
    The point I was making is that it’s not like we were showing playoff or automatic promotion form in Neal Ardleys last 8 games. That form was bottom third form (15-17th) which has now slipped to relegation form under IB.

Both managers had a 25% win ratio in the respective 8 games and that is simply not good enough for playoffs or automatic promotion form. It needs to be consistently 50% or higher. That’s how high the bar is.

I’m hoping the last eight games does not follow the same as both managers form in those eight game blocks and we can win half our remaining games to give us a chance of making the playoffs.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 30-04-2021 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post

I'd agree with all of this. I'd also add that wrapped up in all of what you have said could be potential Covid fatigue? I will stand corrected but I believe that it was reported that some players in the squad had Covid? If that is correct some people will say they are young and healthy and can shake it off, but we have seen with Cal Roberts the impact of long Covid on him. Likewise a small reduction in energy levels over a number of months might not display much in non athletes but in athletes if you are say at 90% of peak fitness then surely it's going to have an impact in performances particularly with multiple games week after week?

I'm not using Covid as an excuse but surely it can't be ruled out as a contributing factor?

What we saw against Torquay after a normal week of rest and training was generally a fresh, intense, sharp and energetic side far different from what we saw in the multiple game weeks before. The question is will it be the same again now we are back to two games a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    In a couple of weeks it will be "Whilst ever there is a mathematical chance of play-offs we will remain positive and believe".

Just a couple of months ago top spot was actually totally within our own destiny.
    I don't know about "positive and believe", but there's still hope, and the old Jimmy Greaves adage that football's a funny old game (Saint). A win tomorrow would lift the spirits a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I'd agree with all of this. I'd also add that wrapped up in all of what you have said could be potential Covid fatigue? I will stand corrected but I believe that it was reported that some players in the squad had Covid? If that is correct some people will say they are young and healthy and can shake it off, but we have seen with Cal Roberts the impact of long Covid on him. Likewise a small reduction in energy levels over a number of months might not display much in non athletes but in athletes if you are say at 90% of peak fitness then surely it's going to have an impact in performances particularly with multiple games week after week?

I'm not using Covid as an excuse but surely it can't be ruled out as a contributing factor?

What we saw against Torquay after a normal week of rest and training was generally a fresh, intense, sharp and energetic side far different from what we saw in the multiple game weeks before. The question is will it be the same again now we are back to two games a week?
    I posted earlier in the season that Covid could have a big effect, and I believe not just physically but mentally too. However my good friend Pedro took it on himself to dismiss that opinion as stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I posted earlier in the season that Covid could have a big effect, and I believe not just physically but mentally too. However my good friend Pedro took it on himself to dismiss that opinion as stupidity!
    I agree Covid after effects can be debilitating but haven't most clubs had the same? The mantra was that we had a good large squad which would come into its own as the season came to a conclusion whilst other clubs would wilt.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast