+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So to the last day

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    My argument has only ever been that he has acted with the best of intentions and that the accusations that he has deliberately or maliciously messed things up are ludicrous. Glad you agree.

Your comments about learning from more stable clubs makes perfect sense but I honestly think the responsibility for ‘throwing cash at dubious players’ lies elsewhere. He provided, and lost, the cash, but I don’t think the long list of dodgy signings from the last five or so years is down to MM and that’s one of a number of areas where, imo, he’s been badly let down. Aren’t managers, coaches and scouts likely to have more input in the players we sign?

If we are found to have transgressed financial rules then I will have to reconsider my opinion. At the moment I am unaware of any evidence for that.
    As for being in a worse place than we were when he took over. After being relegated in 2008 we wandered around the lower reaches of the Championship flirting with relegation until McClaren’s very fondly remembered seven month ‘flash in the pan’ season. If memory serves, McClaren’s second (first full) season in charge was a major disappointment. MM took over and we’ve made the play offs three times, under Wassall, Rowett and Lampard, since. The last two seasons have been hugely disappointing and, obviously, no one can argue that our current position looks desperate, but I believe we can all think of individuals who are all more culpable for that than MM.
    rA its not about whether we transgressed financial rules, though clearly we have pushed the rules to the limit hence the EFL action, its the complicated and opaque financial arrangements, the sale and leaseback of the ground, the loans taken out, the fact that Mel agreed to spend so much on players in a seemingly reckless fashion, all this seems a desperate gamble which has risked the future of the club, when he had a decent base to begin with.

As for the turnover of managers, that in itself speaks of serious issues in maintaining relationships with those working for him and again at what cost, how much compensation has been paid? Even without the detail of what happened, our record over Mel's tenure does not give the impression of a well run football club.

And yes, if we had got promoted, maybe we'd be singing his praises but we didn't and we have a significant financial mess to sort out, lets hope this takeover happens and there is a rebuild on sensible grounds.

I remember many conversations on here around 2012 involving Nigel Clough.
    The footballs dire, we are going no where, club has no ambition.
    Yet young Clough had no money and ran a tight ship,as the club asked him to do.
    He got slated but he was obviously the lesser of the current evils.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Yes, we got to the play offs on three occasions but at what cost and where are these managers now?? Apparently they were successful but they are no longer at PP.
    Then you consider Lampard and Rooney in particular! Yes, Lamps was successful but surely it was obvious that his sights were higher than us. He was allowed to bring in three top notch players but again at what cost? If he was successful he would get a bigger assignment than us and if he failed then it was more money up the shoot. A lose lose situation which gambled on promo as the payback, but there was no payback and we lost Lampard and the loaners. Rooney, well that beggars belief why he was even brought to Derby, just more money pissed up the wall.
    He had a hand in all the other financial gambles in fees, wages, various managers but he alone made many other gambles which have seriously damaged the club and this last one has put the final nail in the coffin.
    A lovely bloke who has made too many bad decisions. He has to take the flak.
    Well one of the three, Wassall, is still with us. Always been hard done to imo but that’s a different argument.

I invariably agree with you mac and yes...MM has to take some flak...but he isn’t the villain some portray him to be.
    He did his best, it all went pear shaped and he must take his share of the responsibility.
    I’m not sure Rooney has cost us much...he hasn’t done us much good, but isn’t his contract paid by someone else?
    As for Lampard and the three loanees...I don’t remember many moaning at the time.
    I’ve no idea whether he’s a ‘lovely bloke’ or not...never met him...he’s certainly made mistakes which may well have cost him and DCFC dear, but it was all well intentioned.

Everything he's done has been well intentioned but that doesn't guarantee good decisions, in fact his love for the club may cloud those decisions. I met MM on one occasion through a mutual acquaintance and I found him to be a very likeable person.
    The Rooney situation is very interesting!
    What's his motive for joining a championship club? From what has been said and written the assumption is he was seeking a pathway to management.
    What is the deal that has attracted a sponsor to cough up Wayne's stipend, there's obviously something in it for them! For example, is there any requirements for him to be picked for the first team as part of the deal?
    What's in it for Derby/MM? Is it purely for what he can give to the team or is he good PR in helping secure a new owner?
    Why did MM see him as the right choice of Manager to the extent that he gave him a 2&1/2 year deal? If he's not on the pitch how does that impact the sponsorship deal, are they still paying his wages?
    Would a 'real' manager, if offered the vacancy, refuse to be bound by any agreements in respect of Rooney's sponsorship deal and,therefore, be reluctant to accept the job? Has such a situation influenced MM's decision making in any way IE. does it creates a catch twenty two scenario?
    Has Rooney's presence negatively affected the atmosphere in the dressing room?
    We'll probably never know the answers to these questions but it raises the final question, has the arrival of Rooney been a massive factor in our current demise and, outside financial issues, is it MM's biggest mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    I remember many conversations on here around 2012 involving Nigel Clough.
    The footballs dire, we are going no where, club has no ambition.
    Yet young Clough had no money and ran a tight ship,as the club asked him to do.
    He got slated but he was obviously the lesser of the current evils.
    The same Clough that failed at the Blades returned to Burton, did **** all there and is currently at Mansfield? Not much sign that he was an underrated manager or that more money would have enabled him to succeed?

Theres a big difference between having ambition and basically letting the club stumble along in mid table with dire football. We would ahve been in league 1 sooner with Clough and the previous regime in charge, its just a criminal waste of money and mismanagement that has got us here.

I'm Luton for a day, but only for a day, I'm sure they won't, I know they won't let Rotherham win away.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    The same Clough that failed at the Blades returned to Burton, did **** all there and is currently at Mansfield? Not much sign that he was an underrated manager or that more money would have enabled him to succeed?

Theres a big difference between having ambition and basically letting the club stumble along in mid table with dire football. We would ahve been in league 1 sooner with Clough and the previous regime in charge
    Indeed...yet another illustration that the best players...from Bobby Charlton, to Clough Jnr - and quite possibly including Rooney and Lampard - don’t necessarily make the best managers.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I'm Luton for a day, but only for a day, I'm sure they won't, I know they won't let Rotherham win away.
    My thoughts exactly, MA...if they (Luton) do...then today may as well be the last day.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 04-05-2021 at 08:43 AM.

...... It seems we have Mike Dean reffing.

We're doomed.

I strangely would've preferred Rotherham to have won last night, it would have relegated Weds and potentially taken the fight out of them for Saturday. Now they've got a chance, I'm not sure we'll be able to match them. I suppose a draw for us, and a Rotherham not beating Cardiff is our best odds now.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)