+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs - The mini-league of 6 clubs playing for 5th, 6th and 7th

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I just hope we can go to Bromley needing only a draw to guarantee we finish no lower than 7th.

To go up, unless penalty shoot-outs are involved, we have to at least win the last three games of the season on the bounce.
    Needing to win at Bromley would make it four. Surely we'll have to beat Weymouth as well, five.

Since dropping down, the best winning sequence was 5, achieved once - climaxing with the play off SF win over Barnet.

If we were to win all of our remaining games that would be 6 wins on the bounce. Added to the run we've just been on, that would be 9 wins and 1 draw in the final 10. Not impossible but not altogether realistic.

I think we're going to have to settle for at least a couple more draws. Hopefully a point at Wrexham, a win over Weymouth and a draw at Bromley gets us in. Then a pen shoot out win in one of the play off games and win the other two outright. That's as believable a dream I can allow myself to have right now.
    At this moment in time I'd say we need 5 points to make the play-offs. If we lose to Wrexham we'd need to win our last two games.

That could change though, after the next round of games.

Chesterfield and Halifax play one another in their last game, so a win for either would eliminate the other from the chase.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    At this moment in time I'd say we need 5 points to make the play-offs. If we lose to Wrexham we'd need to win our last two games.

Chesterfield and Halifax play one another in their last game, so a win for either would eliminate the other from the chase.
    I can anticipate 4 points being enough if it involves beating Bromley in a winner takes all '6 pointer', but that would mean we haven't beaten Weymouth, which would be a big blow to confidence.
    If we lose one of these final three games it probably will mean we're going to have to win both of the other two.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 16-05-2021 at 11:10 AM.

After today's 2-2 between Stockport and Torquay, it looks like Sutton will take 1st place. A win away at Barnet on the final day for Sutton will probably be enough to secure the title on goal difference if they lost at home to Hartlepool next weekend. Torquay will likely win both their remaining two but need Sutton to at least lose one, in which case Torquay would need to make up (as it stands) a 6 goal difference.

So we can expect to see Torquay, Stockport and Hartlepool in the play offs with one of those three our opponents away in the SF and a high chance of meeting one of the other two at Ashton Gate if we made it that far.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post

As long as we win against Weymouth next week we are looking okay I think. Even if we lost to both Wrexham and Bromley, as long as we beat Weymouth then it would need two of the following to happen for us to drop out of the top seven:

Bromley to also win a tough game away at Aldershot
    Chesterfield to beat resurgent Dagenham and win away at Halifax
    Halifax to win at Maidenhead and beat Chesterfield
    Eastleigh to win three of their four remaining games

I would say that the three points against Weymouth makes us more likely to make the top seven than not, even if we lose the other too. Four points makes it very likely, anything more then we’re definitely there.

We've been pretty much nailed on 6th place for most of the season, still a chance we can nick 5th which I think we should hope for and a home play off game in front of our own fans. 6th or 7th and we will have two away ties to contend with. That wouldn't have mattered so much if we were still in lockdown but fans in grounds will make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    As long as we win against Weymouth next week we are looking okay I think. Even if we lost to both Wrexham and Bromley, as long as we beat Weymouth then it would need two of the following to happen for us to drop out of the top seven:

Bromley to also win a tough game away at Aldershot
    Chesterfield to beat resurgent Dagenham and win away at Halifax
    Halifax to win at Maidenhead and beat Chesterfield
    Eastleigh to win three of their four remaining games

I would say that the three points against Weymouth makes us more likely to make the top seven than not, even if we lose the other too. Four points makes it very likely, anything more then we’re definitely there.
    There is the scenario that even with 5 points more there is a very slight possibility that Eastleigh can beat us on points and Chesterfield on goal difference if they have 2 decent sized wins. Unlikely yes, but possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    We've been pretty much nailed on 6th place for most of the season, still a chance we can nick 5th which I think we should hope for and a home play off game in front of our own fans. 6th or 7th and we will have two away ties to contend with. That wouldn't have mattered so much if we were still in lockdown but fans in grounds will make a big difference.
    I think we can nick 5th mate. Our form is very good and style of attacking football making a clear difference. I didn't see the game last weekend, but I was quite shocked by how threatening we looked in the highlights. The return to form of Miller and Rodrigues I think makes us the most dangerous team in the division currently. Of course Wrexham will now beat us 1-0. Out of Hartlepool, Stockport and Torquay I would fancy our changes against any of them currently but would fear Hartlepool away the most simply as we always lose there and they are very overdue a trophy.

Regardless of playoff positions I really don’t want to lose tomorrow as it would take away the momentum we’re building up and drain the confidence.

I’ve got no doubt we can score goals, but after Saturday I’m a bit concerned about our ability to keep them out. Hopefully Rawlinson is back to shore up the defence a bit.

After our above par result, Wrexham dropping a point and Eastleigh winning as expected, 3-1, and improving goal difference a little more, it now looks like this. All with 2 to play except Eastleigh. Both of Halifax and Chesterfield cannot go above us as they play each other. A win Sat and we’re there with only Wrexham and Eastleigh being able to catch us. All goes to par we’ll play Eastleigh at home first.

Table
    Team P Pts GD
    Notts 40 67 19
    Wrexham 40 64 19
    Chesterfield 40 63 15
    Bromley 40 63 8
    Eastleigh 39 62 10
    Halifax 40 62 9

TO PLAY
    Notts
    Weymouth H W
    Bromley A D

Chesterfield
    Dagenham H W
    Halifax A D

Halifax
    Maidenhead A W
    Chesterfield A D

Bromley
    Aldershot A W
    Notts H D

Wrexham
    Kings Lynn H W
    Dagenham A W

Eastleigh
    Borehamwood H W
    Altrincham A W
    Solihull A W

FINAL TABLE
    Team P Pts GD
    Notts 42 71 20
    Eastleigh 42 71 13
    Wrexham 42 70 21
    —————————-
    Chesterfield 42 67 16
    Bromley 42 67 9
    Halifax 42 66 10

Quote Originally Posted by CamPie View Post
    After our above par result, Wrexham dropping a point and Eastleigh winning as expected, 3-1, and improving goal difference a little more, it now looks like this. All with 2 to play except Eastleigh. Both of Halifax and Chesterfield cannot go above us as they play each other. A win Sat and we’re there with only Wrexham and Eastleigh being able to catch us. All goes to par we’ll play Eastleigh at home first.

Table
    Team P Pts GD
    Notts 40 67 19
    Wrexham 40 64 19
    Chesterfield 40 63 15
    Bromley 40 63 8
    Eastleigh 39 62 10
    Halifax 40 62 9

TO PLAY
    Notts
    Weymouth H W
    Bromley A D

Chesterfield
    Dagenham H W
    Halifax A D

Halifax
    Maidenhead A W
    Chesterfield A D

Bromley
    Aldershot A W
    Notts H D

Wrexham
    Kings Lynn H W
    Dagenham A W

Eastleigh
    Borehamwood H W
    Altrincham A W
    Solihull A W

FINAL TABLE
    Team P Pts GD
    Notts 42 71 20
    Eastleigh 42 71 13
    Wrexham 42 70 21
    —————————-
    Chesterfield 42 67 16
    Bromley 42 67 9
    Halifax 42 66 10
    Be a strange and unlikely set of results for us not to make the play offs now

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast