+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs - The mini-league of 6 clubs playing for 5th, 6th and 7th

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Did you feel the same way about Fullerton?
    Fullerton had nothing positive going for him, his football was quite possibly the worst I've ever seen at Meadow Lane, he completely killed any attacking threat that team had and alienated a fan favourite player.

With Burchnall we should have a lot more points on the table than we do if not for our opponents being impossibly clinical, we've shown more attacking threat than the whole of Fullerton's time at Notts and we've outplayed the team top of the table, the Reedtz brothers said he was a long term appointment not an appointment to get us promoted this season so he needs to be given time with the completely unbalanced squad Ardley left him.

It wasn't a great time to appoint him due to the schedule of us having so many games but it's what the board did, Ardley's Notts seemed to be in freefall imo so I'm not sure our league position would be a great deal different nor do I think we'd have a trip to Wembley on the cards, there's no way Burchnall managed to get enough across in one training session to affect the performance against Hornchurch so negatively, it's just this bunch of players love to not turn up.

The comparison's with Fullerton need to stop, they're nothing alike

I was only asking the question chaps. Thanks for answering though.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    The comparison's with Fullerton need to stop, they're nothing alike
    On stats they are very alike, and stats seem to be a big thing with our owners.

I keep reading about how we'll come good once Burchnall gets his ideas across on the training ground, and how we'll come good when he gets his own squad. But will we? What does he offer? What exactly are his strengths? I know it's still too early to judge, but I haven't seen anything at all so far to make me optimistic about next season.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Sunk costs.

There is no track record of success for IB, the evidence before our eyes says he's failing but the Reedtz have now invested themselves in him. Takes a big man to say I've dropped a clanger and change course early rather than throw time and resources at Birch to prove your decision right.

Allardyce had done well in Ireland before coming to us and was harshly sacked by Royston the rapist at Blackpool after making the playoffs.

I don't like the revolving door either, I was a strong advocate of Ardley and continuity, after all he'd never lost more than two in a row, got us to the playoffs final and looked like getting us to the playoffs and a Trophy final.

Unfortunately I feel the same way about Birch that I did about Kiwomya, Fullarton and Richie Barker. Just a feeling and I'll be the first to say well done, brilliant if he turns it around, it's certainly not a personal thing, I don't think he's a clown or don't like his hair cut, I just don't think he's going to turn us round now or next season.
    I agree that Burchnall's previous track record is not as impressive on paper as Sam Allardyce's was, but I also think that people quoting IB's comparatively low win percentage are failing to present the context, that he was managing two clubs who were expected to struggle due to growing problems off the field. As I understand it, Burchnall was popular with supporters at Viking and Ostersunds who felt he had done a good job in difficult circumstances, and there seems to be a feeling amongst many in the game that he is a bright young coach with a good future ahead of him.

Of course it's all about opinion, and I am not confidently predicting Burchnall's ultimate success or failure at Notts. He's had a relatively poor start results-wise, we know that, but we also know he has joined us in pretty exceptional circumstances where he has had remarkably little time to work with the squad on the training field. It's also conjecture as to whether this run of form has been directly caused by the managerial change or whether it was on the cards anyway. Many people were commenting that performances were becoming consistently poor even before Ardley left. Was this run of results already on its way?

Naturally, if current form was to persist over a longer period of time then the owners would come under considerable pressure, but right now this can be categorised as "a bad start" and nothing more or less than that. Time will tell whether results will change. Sometimes it just takes one or two good results to completely alter the outlook.

One thing I am fairly certain about is that the current owners are not driven by ego or arrogance. I think if time proved that their decision to appoint Burchnall was the wrong one, they would be humble enough to admit this and make a change. It's quite clear to me that the Reedtz Brothers make decisions based on performances and results over a longer period of time than Trew or Hardy did, and in a much more considered and less emotional way. I'm sure right now they are very disappointed with current results, but they have said before that it was never "promotion or bust" as far as they were concerned. I think they will give the management team support with recruitment, and time to breathe, just as they did with Ardley, but if results don't improve then there will inevitably come a time for review.
    Last edited by jackal2; 01-05-2021 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    On stats they are very alike, and stats seem to be a big thing with our owners.

I keep reading about how we'll come good once Burchnall gets his ideas across on the training ground, and how we'll come good when he gets his own squad. But will we? What does he offer? What exactly are his strengths? I know it's still too early to judge, but I haven't seen anything at all so far to make me optimistic about next season.
    Me neither.

The fact that he has been employed as a head coach would suggest his strengths are on the training pitch. This makes the timing of the appointment completely silly IMO, as everyone knew he wouldn’t get much time coaching.
    The only logical reason is that the Bros are not overly fussed on promotion this season and would rather have ‘their man’ now rather than potentially saying goodbye to NA after successfully guiding us to promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Before today's game I was 90% sure it was over, after today's game I'm 95% sure.

But it's the 5% left that we have to cling on to.
    A true Notts County fan. Hope springs eternal

Quote Originally Posted by CheltenhamPie View Post
    A true Notts County fan. Hope springs eternal
    For those who want a positive thought: if we do manage to make the play-offs now, it will mean we will inevitably have produced a good run of results in the final few games, and teams that go into the play-offs on a good run of form often do well in them!

Amazingly we are still odds on to make the playoffs, and as short as 4/7 with Skybet:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football...e/top-7-finish

It’s interesting to see how the top four have established such a gap on the teams below them in the past month. Also, we keep on talking about last season, but we’d only be 5th this year with our 63 points tally from last season’s 38 games.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    It’s interesting to see how the top four have established such a gap on the teams below them in the past month. Also, we keep on talking about last season, but we’d only be 5th this year with our 63 points tally from last season’s 38 games.
    I think there are more stronger teams this year as Hartlepool and Stockport have come good as expected. Sutton and Torquay finished in the bottom third so are more surprising packages. However any team with Gary Johnson as manager should be taken as a given for challenging at the top.

Surprisingly our average PPG is not too dissimilar to last season. It was 1.66 and this season it's 1.54. Based on last seasons average we would have 58 points after 35 games so only 2 points better off than now.

The table is a bit false at the moment and we are technically a bit lower down in the table than we would be if all teams had played the same amount of games. Those two games in hand we have will be v.ital to pick up points if we want to stand any chance of getting in the playoffs.

We've still got a chance of making the play-offs it's still in our hands, but we really have got to start showing we want it as time is running out.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast