+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs - The mini-league of 6 clubs playing for 5th, 6th and 7th

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Now now Pedro hold your hosses!

I still think promotion is a mile away. We have had a few good games but the most important thing for me is that we are attacking teams and scoring goals. The vast majority of fans on here were puzzled by Ardleys approach for most of the season and finally someone is getting this happening. I will never ever understand why Ardley did not go for it a bit more than he did.
    At the moment it's just wishful thinking QS , but (and its a moderately large one) if we beat the likes of Bromleyx2 and Wrexham ,. so far decent teams , and marry that with wins over Sutton and an inform Maidenhead it gives me the confidence that we can go and beat anyone from this division.
    But yes for the time being i am holding a couple of horses, one strategically in each arm,.
    COYP!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Seven does it mathematically because of the fixtures left. Would leave us on 70 points, and mean that we were guaranteed to finish above Bromley and either Chesterfield or Halifax (as they still have to play each other).

Actually, it doesn’t because I forgot about Eastleigh, who could still get 71 points by winning all five of their remaining games. But it would take a 1,000/1 set of results for seven not to be enough.

8 - Mathematically does it
    7 - Almost certainly does it
    6 - More than likely does it
    5 - Probably does it
    What about Wrexham? They can get 73. To remove any doubts over goal difference we still need 72 points.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    What about Wrexham? They can get 73. To remove any doubts over goal difference we still need 72 points.
    Wrexham wouldn’t matter if we finish above Bromley and either Chesterfield or Halifax. As mentioned, that is unless Eastleigh go on a rampage and win all five of their games.

Obviously we want to get as many points as possible and finish fifth if we can, but it would take a wildly implausible set of results for us to finish on 70 points but outside of the top seven.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Bromley Home and away, Wrexham away, Weymouth at home.

What's the minimum we need points wise?

I would say 7 points to defo be in the playoffs and maybe 9 or 10 to finish 4th or 5th.
    I would agree that seven points should be enough. I also think that 68 points might be enough to scrape a playoff place but we don’t want that stress.

Cheaterfield, Bromley and Halifax can all finish on 71 points if all three win their remaining games. The odds of that must be really long and likewise it would mean we would have messed up in both games against Bromley.

I said on here a while back we really needed to win a block of five games and if we can win the next two we would be close to having the first objective of finishing in the playoffs done. However two more wins and a draw in any order should suffice.

The two games against Bromley are massive and will have a massive impact on where we finish but also where Bromley finish. That is a positive though as it means it’s still entirely in our hands.

We are in the playoffs we have our place, the challenge for the players is to relish the challenge and go on and cement it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I would agree that seven points should be enough. I also think that 68 points might be enough to scrape a playoff place but we don’t want that stress.

Cheaterfield, Bromley and Halifax can all finish on 71 points if all three win their remaining games. The odds of that must be really long and likewise it would mean we would have messed up in both games against Bromley.

I said on here a while back we really needed to win a block of five games and if we can win the next two we would be close to having the first objective of finishing in the playoffs done. However two more wins and a draw in any order should suffice.

The two games against Bromley are massive and will have a massive impact on where we finish but also where Bromley finish. That is a positive though as it means it’s still entirely in our hands.

We are in the playoffs we have our place, the challenge for the players is to relish the challenge and go on and cement it.
    Chesterfield and Halifax play each other on the final day, so if one finishes on 71 points then the other would have to finish on 68 maximum.

I would love it if we crept into 3rd but that looks very unlikely. 5th should be the aim to get a home tie in the first round (in front of at least 4,400) and an away tie to reach the final. If we can carry on this decent run nobody will want to play us.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Maidenhead can sneak in to play offs too. Will be a very difficult game tomorrow night.
    Good call 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    Good call 🤣
    I don't think it would have affected the result (maybe the score) but comments from commentators suggested they had decided they wouldn't make the play-offs.

Plenty of others agreed though on the prediction thread

So I wanted to get an idea who everyone had to play and didn't think anyone had posted the remaining games yet. Also what sort of points haul we may all get if results were pretty much based on current league position / results over the season.
    So not applying any science to this like xG and xPts etc but simply predicting a draw in all games between teams in the play-offs and wins by one goal against anyone else lower down. (Note that none of the six play anyone from the top 4). Notts and Bromley have the toughest run-ins whereas Eastleigh's is theoretically the easiest as they play none of the other play-off contenders. Dagenham could have a huge say in the final positions as they play 3 of our r*vals and are on a great run themselves.
    We just about scrape into seventh place on that basis (goal difference clinches it), but if we turn one of our draws against Bromley into a win we are 6th or beat Wrexham we are 5th. Can't see Eastleigh winning all 5 as the teams they play are mostly decent mid-table.

Table
    Team P Pts GD

Notts 38 63 18
    Chesterfield 39 62 15
    Halifax 39 62 12
    Bromley 39 62 8
    Wrexham 38 61 19
    Eastleigh 37 56 5

TO PLAY
    Notts

Bromley H D
    Wrexham A D
    Weymouth H W
    Bromley A D

Chesterfield
    Wealdstone H W
    Dagenham H W
    Halifax A D

Halifax
    Dagenham A W
    Maidenhead A W
    Chesterfield A D

Bromley
    Notts A D
    Aldershot A W
    Notts H D

Wrexham
    Boreham Wood A W
    Notts H D
    Kings Lynn H W
    Dagenham A W

Eastleigh
    Barnet H W
    Aldershot A W
    Boreham Wood H W
    Altrincham A W
    Solihull A W

FINAL TABLE
    Team P Pts GD

Wrexham 42 71 22
    Eastleigh 42 71 10
    Notts 42 69 19
    Chesterfield 42 69 17
    Halifax 42 69 14
    Bromley 42 67 9

Quote Originally Posted by CamPie View Post
    So I wanted to get an idea who everyone had to play and didn't think anyone had posted the remaining games yet. Also what sort of points haul we may all get if results were pretty much based on current league position / results over the season.
    So not applying any science to this like xG and xPts etc but simply predicting a draw in all games between teams in the play-offs and wins by one goal against anyone else lower down. (Note that none of the six play anyone from the top 4). Notts and Bromley have the toughest run-ins whereas Eastleigh's is theoretically the easiest as they play none of the other play-off contenders. Dagenham could have a huge say in the final positions as they play 3 of our r*vals and are on a great run themselves.
    We just about scrape into seventh place on that basis (goal difference clinches it), but if we turn one of our draws against Bromley into a win we are 6th or beat Wrexham we are 5th. Can't see Eastleigh winning all 5 as the teams they play are mostly decent mid-table.

Table
    Team P Pts GD

Notts 38 63 18
    Chesterfield 39 62 15
    Halifax 39 62 12
    Bromley 39 62 8
    Wrexham 38 61 19
    Eastleigh 37 56 5

TO PLAY
    Notts

Bromley H D
    Wrexham A D
    Weymouth H W
    Bromley A D

Chesterfield
    Wealdstone H W
    Dagenham H W
    Halifax A D

Halifax
    Dagenham A W
    Maidenhead A W
    Chesterfield A D

Bromley
    Notts A D
    Aldershot A W
    Notts H D

Wrexham
    Boreham Wood A W
    Notts H D
    Kings Lynn H W
    Dagenham A W

Eastleigh
    Barnet H W
    Aldershot A W
    Boreham Wood H W
    Altrincham A W
    Solihull A W

FINAL TABLE
    Team P Pts GD

Wrexham 42 71 22
    Eastleigh 42 71 10
    Notts 42 69 19
    Chesterfield 42 69 17
    Halifax 42 69 14
    Bromley 42 67 9
    Interesting thing to consider with the games against teams with nothing to play for is the return of fans. An away game against someone mid-table or below is likely to be a lot trickier from Monday onwards than it otherwise would’ve been as you would imagine that playing in front of a home crowd for the first time in 14 months or whatever it is may well give teams a bit of motivation that they probably wouldn’t have had otherwise.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast