+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs - The mini-league of 6 clubs playing for 5th, 6th and 7th

These predict-a-league things are fun, but there’s even more variables than there are in a normal year. No crowds/crowds, no relegation etc.

As far as we’re concerned we’ll find a lot out on Saturday. The 3 wins have been great, but one was a tight game against a good team, one was an easy win against a poor team, and the other was one where a lot went for us, opposition’s best player out, keeper went off, even so we took advantage in fine style.

I watched the Torquay v Bromley game last Sat and they looked a solid team for this level, with a threat up front. If a lot of this season is anything to go by, I can see us struggling in the home game, but winning at their place. 5th place and a final at Leicester would be marvellous.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    As far as we’re concerned we’ll find a lot out on Saturday. The 3 wins have been great, but one was a tight game against a good team, one was an easy win against a poor team, and the other was one where a lot went for us, opposition’s best player out, keeper went off, even so we took advantage in fine style.
    Good points these. We've defo had a bit more 'luck', but as the saying goes, you make your own, and few weeks ago we would have probably lost to Barnet the way things were going. Plus, we are playing with more purpose now and dare I say it...things LOOK like they are beginning to click under IB.

Better idea after Saturday regarding our potential.

I watched the Torquay v Bromley game last Sat and they looked a solid team for this level, with a threat up front. If a lot of this season is anything to go by, I can see us struggling in the home game, but winning at their place.
    Sharp intake of breath - I'm sure IB's used to squeaky bum time (one for Gump) but I'd hate us to have to get there that way...

Campie's post there makes you realise that Saturday is much more of a 'must win' than a 'must not lose' game as we could find that accumulating only 5 (or even 6) more pts might not be enough to get in when it's all over. So, I hope there's no temptation to see this as a 'must not lose' game and we set out to play to win. No need for gung ho, but still a really positive play to win approach...

Also, any hopes of 5th would be based on beating Bromley and that's a big deal and something worth going for - QF of home to Halifax say, would be much better than away to Wrexham.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 13-05-2021 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Sharp intake of breath - I'm sure IB's used to squeaky bum time (one for Gump) but I'd hate us to have to get there that way...

Campie's post there makes you realise that Saturday is much more of a 'must win' than a 'must not lose' game as we could find that accumulating only 5 (or even 6) more pts might not be enough to get in when it's all over. So, I hope there's no temptation to see this as a 'must not lose' game and we set out to play to win. No need for gung ho, but still a really positive play to win approach...

Also, any hopes of 5th would be based on beating Bromley and that's a big deal and something worth going for - QF of home to Halifax say, would be much better than away to Wrexham.
    I agree about Saturday, a win also increases the likelihood that Bromley could have nothing to play for in the final game of the season. I trust we will set up to win the game, IB does not appear to be a 'respect the point' sort of manager.

5th place and a final at Leicester would be marvellous.
    Has the King Power final been confirmed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Has the King Power final been confirmed yet?
    I’ve seen it mentioned as a possibility for nothing confirmed afaik. Not even any dates yet, which is typically tinpot.

I'd say Wrexham were the big winners today, coming back from a two goal deficit to win away.

Halifax and Chesterfield the big losers, Chesterfield in particular as they were playing a team that has conceded fours fives sixes and sevens against the top teams.

This is the maximum points total each club can achieve after today's games, with goal difference included:

Wrexham 73 (+20)
    Notts 73 (+18)
    Eastleigh 71 (+8)
    Chesterfield 69 (+15)
    Bromley 69 (+8)
    Halifax 68 (+9)

We have a great chance of a playoff place, even if goal difference is the deciding factor.

So by my alternate calculation - which could be wrong as it’s now late and I’m a bit p*ssed after a day cycling and drinking - the table looks like this, Chesterfield drop 2 pts from their “par” and Halifax really f****d up - but didn’t we all say that Daggers were a factor here Brutus.

Table
    Team P Pts GD
    Wrexham 39 64 20
    Notts 39 64 18
    Chesterfield 40 63 15
    Bromley 40 63 8
    Halifax 40 62 9
    Eastleigh 38 59 8

And par results and table below sees the changes being Halifax dropping below Bromley and we’ve now a 2pt gap above Chesterfield, though I’d bet they’ll beat Halifax last game now if I were a gambling man.

TO PLAY
    Notts
    Wrexham A D
    Weymouth H W
    Bromley A D

Chesterfield
    Dagenham H W
    Halifax A D

Halifax
    Maidenhead A W
    Chesterfield A D

Bromley