+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs - The mini-league of 6 clubs playing for 5th, 6th and 7th

Playoffs - The mini-league of 6 clubs playing for 5th, 6th and 7th

Unless some thing strange happens, it looks like Sutton, Torquay, Hartlepool and Stockport will occupy the top 4 places. It also looks like the other 3 playoff places are between 6 clubs - us, Halifax, Wrexham, Chesterfield, Eastleigh and Bromley. Assuming Chessie lose in the late game, this is the maximum points total each of those 6 clubs can achieve:

Wrexham 75
    Notts 75
    Halifax 74
    Chesterfield 74
    Bromley 73
    Eastleigh 71

On current form tables, we have no chance of getting near 75 points, but current form is really 'past 6 games form'. It tells you what's happened, but it doesn't predict the future. We've been at or near the top this season, but then gone on a poor run. I honestly can't see us suddenly going on a winning run, but there's still a very tempting prize on offer if we do.

A very informative post well worth adding to this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    All of Eastleigh's remaining games are against sides that are currently 14th or lower.
    Wrexham don't play anybody with anything to play for other than Notts.
    Halifax as above but with the one difficult fixture at home to Chesterfield.
    4 of Chesterfield's remaining 6 are at home but have 2 games against top 6.
    Bromley have a tough looking run in. Only two at home (against Pools and us) and they have to go to Torquay and us.
    We've got an equally tough run in as Bromley, playing each other twice plus Sutton and Wrexham.

It's over for us this year Elite. The owners and new manager were too casual and took it for granted that there'd be an upturn because Ardley was underperforming.
    Pretty conceited and now we're in a deep hole and still digging.
    Personally, I'd relieve IB of his duties tonight and put Doyle and JOB in charge until the seasons end, they literally can't do worse.
    As Sidders said yesterday the Reedtz have made a couple of mistakes, sacking Ardley, the timing of sacking Ardley and appointing his replacement.
    Think they need to be honest with themselves and face up to the unfolding disaster sooner than later. It sounds drastic but IB will absolutely not take us up this year, Doyle or JOB would have more chance, or at least no less chance.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    It's over for us this year Elite.
    Before today's game I was 90% sure it was over, after today's game I'm 95% sure.

But it's the 5% left that we have to cling on to.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    It's over for us this year Elite. The owners and new manager were too casual and took it for granted that there'd be an upturn because Ardley was underperforming.
    Pretty conceited and now we're in a deep hole and still digging.
    Personally, I'd relieve IB of his duties tonight and put Doyle and JOB in charge until the seasons end, they literally can't do worse.
    As Sidders said yesterday the Reedtz have made a couple of mistakes, sacking Ardley, the timing of sacking Ardley and appointing his replacement.
    Think they need to be honest with themselves and face up to the unfolding disaster sooner than later. It sounds drastic but IB will absolutely not take us up this year, Doyle or JOB would have more chance, or at least no less chance.
    I don't think IB will be relieved of his duties anytime soon, and nor should he be. I don't say that because I think he's certain to be a success, because none of us knows what the future may hold even if we think we do, but having made the decision to sack the previous manager and appoint a new one, there is no point doing anything other than give him ample time to develop 'his' team.

It may well prove to be the case that the disruption of changing the manager mid-season has not worked for us in terms of gaining promotion this season, but if the new management team was to re-shape the squad in the summer and get some good results at the start of next season and then kick-on, it could prove to be a case of short-term pain for long-term gain in the way it did for Sam Allardyce many years ago.

A decision was made to go with a new coaching team and we will see over a longer period of time whether it will ultimately be beneficial. To sack the relatively new manager now would be like a return to the chaotic, revolving door days of Trew and Hardy, which was what landed us in the National League in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Before today's game I was 90% sure it was over, after today's game I'm 95% sure.

But it's the 5% left that we have to cling on to.
    It's the hope that kills you.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I don't think IB will be relieved of his duties anytime soon, and nor should he be. I don't say that because I think he's certain to be a success, because none of us knows what the future may hold even if we think we do, but having made the decision to sack the previous manager and appoint a new one, there is no point doing anything other than give him ample time to develop 'his' team.

It may well prove to be the case that the disruption of changing the manager mid-season has not worked for us in terms of gaining promotion this season, but if the new management team was to re-shape the squad in the summer and get some good results at the start of next season and then kick-on, it could prove to be a case of short-term pain for long-term gain in the way it did for Sam Allardyce many years ago.

A decision was made to go with a new coaching team and we will see over a longer period of time whether it will ultimately be beneficial. To sack the relatively new manager now would be like a return to the chaotic, revolving door days of Trew and Hardy, which was what landed us in the National League in the first place.
    Did you feel the same way about Fullerton?

I've made comparisons with Allardyce myself, but as was mentioned on the recent Magpie Circle podcast these are futile when you actually break down what we are getting with Birchnall and got with Allardyce. Allardyce had a record of achievement in the English lower leagues so we knew he could "do it". Birchnalls record abroad as first team coach is actually very poor results wise and we definately do not know if he can do it. So far he has continued his record abroad at the club. In addition Allardyce inherited a team rooted to the bottom of the league and in freefall. Birchnall inherited a squad in strong position in the playoffs and appears to have managed to undo all of that. Worrying.

Sunk costs.
    There is no track record of success for IB, the evidence before our eyes says he's failing but the Reedtz have now invested themselves in him. Takes a big man to say I've dropped a clanger and change course early rather than throw time and resources at Birch to prove your decision right.
    Allardyce had done well in Ireland before coming to us and was harshly sacked by Royston the rapist at Blackpool after making the playoffs.
    I don't like the revolving door either, I was a strong advocate of Ardley and continuity, after all he'd never lost more than two in a row, got us to the playoffs final and looked like getting us to the playoffs and a Trophy final.The

Unfortunately I feel the same way about Birch that I did about Kiwomya, Fullarton and Richie Barker. Just a feeling and I'll be the first to say well done, brilliant if he turns it around, it's certainly not a personal thing, I don't think he's a clown or don't like his hair cut, I just don't think he's going to turn us round now or next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Did you feel the same way about Fullerton?
    I opposed the appointment of Fullarton before it was even made. If you recall, the rumours about Fullarton broke on this very board 24 hours or so before his appointment was officially announced, and pretty much every poster expressed not only their disbelief that the Trews might make such a poor call, but also their opposition to that appointment if it was true. In Fullarton's case he really was on a hiding to nothing before he even started, because of the complete breakdown of the relationship between the fans and the owners, never mind between the fans and the new manager.

Lazy comparisons between Fullarton and Burchnall are pretty meaningless anyway. Burchnall is a young manager like Fullarton it's true, but he does have prior senior team management experience at two previous clubs, and he has entered a situation where the relationship between the fans and the owners is not generally a fractious one.

I don't think any of us would have predicted Burchnall as the new manager when Ardley left, because we hadn't really heard of him in this country, but the sentiments on this message board towards the new manager were generally welcoming and open-minded. I don't dispute that there has been much disappointment his early results, but a thread posted only last week showed that many posters are still willing to give him a decent amount of time before reaching any permanent judgements, and I think the current owners certainly aren't the type to be dismissing managers after a few weeks.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast