+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tardigrades

Tardigrades

Fascinating little blighters

Is it out of Doctor Who or summat?

Also known as the moss Piglet. Will you tell him or shall I?

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    Is it out of Doctor Who or summat?
    No, it's for real, do an internet search.

I didn't do an internet search as I don't like to cheat at these things plus I thought that it was probably what drives a Darlek around or summat but I will look

I was watching Pointless today and it got mentioned that Mercury was the last planet to be discovered even though they couldn't see it, so what I want to know is how did they know it was there,is there some kind of pattern to planets as I thought that they was just random in space?

Even though you can’t see it in space, you know that there’s something there because of the gravitational effect it has on other stuff.

Or summat.

When the Dire Licks first appeared they were restricted to their city, their casings being powered by static electricity in the metal floors. Subsequently they wore solar panels at the back in order to go anywhere. Then they must have developed technology such that they no longer wore solar panels. The means of powering their casings has not been disclosed. They must simply be clever enough to have developed a means of power that we cannot understand or else Davros did it.

Pluto is the furthest proved planet (well, since 2006 categorised as a Dwarf Planet) away from the Sun in our Solar System. But for at least 50 years astronomers / physicists have thought that there is a planet beyond Pluto. It is too far away to be fully proved to exist but the appropriate clever folk believe that it is almost a certainty that it exists. Their reason for this belief is that something out there is having an effect on the orbits (around the Sun) of several Dwarf Planets way out there that are beyond Pluto. A less likely but possible reason for the effect on these orbits could be a black hole. Maybe Mercury was theorised this way before our technology improved.

Mercury is the closest planet to the Sun and takes 88 days to complete an orbit of it. Earth of course takes 365.35 days and we call this a year. Pluto takes 247.7 years. There are 3 Dwarf Planets further away than Pluto, called Haumea, Makemake and Eris. The furthest of these, Eris, takes 558 years to orbit the Sun. I am puzzled about how these have been totally proved to exist but the strongly theorised planet has not been proved to exist. Maybe it is beyond Eris and out of the range of our instruments that would conclusively prove its existence, yet it influences the orbit of Eris. I do not know.

Yes, I concur with Griff. The theorised planet is having gravitational effects on other stuff that we can detect.
    Last edited by 6EQUJ5; 03-05-2021 at 05:44 PM.

I'm very impressed with your knowledge of the Solar System 6EQUJ5,how did your interest get started?
    When I read your posts I visualize Sheldon Cooper writing them 😎

Griff,your reply was far less complex but to the point,cheers 👍

One day I just thought that our universe (there may be others and indeed as many as between 22 and 26 dimensions) is so incalculably vast that I have to regard the Solar System as being less than a step outside my door. So it behoves me to get a basic knowledge of it.

This is just basic stuff that will seep into you if you listen to a few lectures on YouTube by astronomers and physicists. Such lectures are aimed at the average person.

To remember the planets in our Solar System in the sequence of closest to the Sun and then outwards I think like this:-
    MVEM JSUN
    pronounced as two words like this, "emvem Jasun". For me that it the easiest way to remember them and in sequence.
    Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus & Neptune

In America they use this sentence :-
    My Very Exciting Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.

But the Pizzas have been off since 2006, when Pluto was downgraded to dwarf planet

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)