+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish cup semi final 🏆

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Same. In fact (and I'm not 100% sure why) it really bugs me we were the losing team in the greatest ever 'Scottish Cup Final' in '91.
    That’s why St Johnstone in 2014 genuinely didn’t feel so bad in comparison. For me anyway. I know for younger Arabs it would be different (and for them maybe this was ‘their St Mirren’ ) but pre-2014 I deliberately went with low expectations due to a. St J’s record v us that season and b. Going to previous finals with high expectations and it all going horribly wrong. It then all panned out pretty well as I was expecting it to in all honesty and as a result I wasn’t actually that gutted. Disappointed yes, but not sleepless nights stuff. St Mirren on the other hand.......................I can’t really bring myself to watch any of it even now.

2014 I knew when we flapped at that corner just before half time it wasnt our day after nearly scoring too. It was a bit meh really but our record against them had been poor. walking to train station after and half the st johnstone buses were full - flasks out, travel rugs laid to keep legs warm pipes and slippers.

St Mirren we scored i went mental, it of course got chopped off as we were playing a west coast team then they went straight up and scored. I was in shock and upset for days but we had uefa cup, something however told the young me that we wouldnt be able to bounce back. Ah well made 94 all the better really.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    When it comes to Saturday, I’m kind of the mind of ‘what will be will be’. If we win, we win, if we don’t, well it feels like an unexpected bonus just getting to the semi. I must confess I felt a helluva lot more nervous before the play off games against Hamilton and St Mirren as there was so much riding on it. This week? I’ll maybe a feel a bit more nervous come four on Saturday but right now I’m pretty relaxed about the whole thing. The primary objective of this Bride and Covid hit season was securing safety. Having done that easily I can’t say I feel too much pressure regarding Saturday. All I would ask that they play a damn sight better than Saturday past but if they give it their all but still come up short there would be no disgrace.
    Wednesday. Got a wee butterfly this morning.
    So there you go.
    Do I think we can beat Hibs and *St Johnstone to win this competition? No
    But then I predicted we'd get hosed from the Sheep. Two performances like that and it's possible but sadly we've not really produced that level all season.
    But the best team doesn't always win the cup, it's the best team in each 90 minutes.
    To have any chance we need a big performance on Saturday. It's 70/30 against but if we play the way we can it's up for grabs.

*my assumption

Pressure all on Hibs which might help. We ain't really good enough everyone knows it. But better United teams have gove out against teams that weren't really good enough. So maybe, just maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by GFLower View Post
    Pressure all on Hibs which might help. We ain't really good enough everyone knows it. But better United teams have gove out against teams that weren't really good enough. So maybe, just maybe.
    Aye, a definite maybe.

There's a few things that need to go right on the day.

Neither work rate nor fitness should be an issue for us on the day.

But we need to find a way of getting at their defence and creating opportunities in the box. And doing this without giving them the opportunity to roast us on the flanks with their pace and quality is a problem Micky needs to have an answer to.

I think he may start ultra defensive for the first 20 mins and see if we can hit them on the break or win a couple of FKs within striking distance (step up Nicky Clark).

Once that opening period is done, I reckon Mellon will see exactly where Hibs (and us) are at, and will start bringing his tactical nous to bear on what will be a long and hard fought 90 minutes (maybe 120 mins).

On paper, Hibs have a more quality and depth and should win. But, as they say, the game is won on the pitch, not on paper.

Shanks is due to score BTW.

Just been looking at potential road to the final should we return victorious from the Hibs semi on Saturday.

If we were to win through, and St Mirren somehow manage to beat the 2nd best team in the country, we would have a dress rehearsal of the cup final on the Sunday before!!! That would be a weird situation, but it is even more weird that we could be playing the league match vs them to secure a 7th placed finish. So, it's a game that means something in a number of ways.

I cannot see StM beating StJ. And Hibs are obs favourites vs us. But you never know. It could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cybershed View Post
    Just been looking at potential road to the final should we return victorious from the Hibs semi on Saturday.

If we were to win through, and St Mirren somehow manage to beat the 2nd best team in the country, we would have a dress rehearsal of the cup final on the Sunday before!!! That would be a weird situation, but it is even more weird that we could be playing the league match vs them to secure a 7th placed finish. So, it's a game that means something in a number of ways.

I cannot see StM beating StJ. And Hibs are obs favourites vs us. But you never know. It could happen.
    How are St Johnstone the 2nd best team in the country? 🤔 League position would suggest otherwise. Also they haven't managed to beat us so far so why are they suddenly invincible? But anyway, Hibs first lol

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    How are St Johnstone the 2nd best team in the country? 🤔 League position would suggest otherwise. Also they haven't managed to beat us so far so why are they suddenly invincible? But anyway, Hibs first lol
    I'm guessing current form? In which case they are currently the second best in the country behind the Huns.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I'm guessing current form? In which case they are currently the second best in the country behind the Huns.
    St Johnstone have only lost three in their last twenty in all comps.That’s more than decent TBF.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    St Johnstone have only lost three in their last twenty in all comps.That’s more than decent TBF.
    Due an arse smacking then? 😋

Tbf our form is decent if you don't count the dead rubbers

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)