+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Scottish cup semi final 🏆

Ultimately we lost that game through one poor individual error and one poor error from the officials. Until the game was opened up towards the end, Deniz had nothing to do. Both keepers were equally redundant. Macey in fact had the best save of the entire game.

Yes Hibs dominated, yes we seemed unable to stamp our authority on the game. We aren't at the level yet to be controlling a game against Hibs though.

Having watched utter dross for years, this remains significantly better. Still a work in progress. Again, Mellon reacted to how the game was going. The switch to 3 at the back was a calculated risk that could have paid off and did get us on the front foot a bit (admittedly Hibs sat back too) Haven't had a manager with the tactical ability to change shape in games for ages.

Get that we can be disappointed. Get that the players will feel like they didn't deliver. Calling for the manager to go though is completely over the top in my opinion. Without even a vague suggestion of a realistic alternative, it is a bit desperate to be honest.

If he chooses to go, I will be disappointed in him. Otherwise I look forward to what he can help the team to next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    Ultimately we lost that game through one poor individual error and one poor error from the officials. Until the game was opened up towards the end, Deniz had nothing to do. Both keepers were equally redundant. Macey in fact had the best save of the entire game.

Yes Hibs dominated, yes we seemed unable to stamp our authority on the game. We aren't at the level yet to be controlling a game against Hibs though.

Having watched utter dross for years, this remains significantly better. Still a work in progress. Again, Mellon reacted to how the game was going. The switch to 3 at the back was a calculated risk that could have paid off and did get us on the front foot a bit (admittedly Hibs sat back too) Haven't had a manager with the tactical ability to change shape in games for ages.

Get that we can be disappointed. Get that the players will feel like they didn't deliver. Calling for the manager to go though is completely over the top in my opinion. Without even a vague suggestion of a realistic alternative, it is a bit desperate to be honest.

If he chooses to go, I will be disappointed in him. Otherwise I look forward to what he can help the team to next season.

Good post. United were unlucky, did well to get to the semi and it’s a shame Hibs were a stronger team this season. Nisbit is a great player.

Important United hold on to their better players and not try selling them. Your great squads in the 80’s were full of loyal players and that loyalty served them well in addition to it building the club up. Shankland has overwhelming support and is not ready for any other move so should be jumping at a chance to show his loyalty to his club.
    I’d also offer a long deal to Fuchs, he has impressed me every time I’ve seen him.

Looking forward to today’s other semi now, I want st Johnstone to go on and win the double now. I’m it’s a shame they have no board to post on, st mirren don’t seem to either :/

Overall this season we stayed up and got to SCF - a terrible header, terrible off side decision and a couple of poor finishes from us. Its a long building job i just cant understand why pawlett, connolly, harkes have extensions. We have some young potential for next season in fact i feel Appere should have played a lot more this season. We didnt get the luck we needed yesterday as lets be honest Hibs are a better team than us and we needed a bit of luck. Interesting to see if the Mellon rumours are true.

Shankland owes us no loyalty. He had a huge hand in getting us promoted. He more than did his bit. This season he has been shafted by abysmal tactics. No other club would have wasted his talents the way we have. Don't be surprised to see him banging in the goals for hibs next season once Nisbet heads down south.
    They ( or whoever signs him), won't play him in a forward line alongside 2 other centre forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by swanny14 View Post
    Shankland owes us no loyalty. He had a huge hand in getting us promoted. He more than did his bit. This season he has been shafted by abysmal tactics. No other club would have wasted his talents the way we have. Don't be surprised to see him banging in the goals for hibs next season once Nisbet heads down south.
    They ( or whoever signs him), won't play him in a forward line alongside 2 other centre forwards.
    He also squandered a sh*t load of chances that have come his way, including a great chance yesterday. He's not immune to criticism. He's been poor this season.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    He also squandered a sh*t load of chances that have come his way, including a great chance yesterday. He's not immune to criticism. He's been poor this season.
    Have to agree with this ArAb. Very disappointing even considering poor service to him frequently.

Didn't suggest he was immune to criticism. Still doesn't change the fact that he's not been played in a system that suited him virtually all season. Looked much more like himself during the brief spell that Mellon actually played him and mcnulty together upfront before reverting to the abysmal 3 Centre forwards routine.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Yeah, this is fair comment.

Shanks was out injured earlier in the season for quite a few weeks, he was away warming his backside waiting to get game time for Scotland, has had poor service from the lowest scoring team in the SFPL, who in many games didn't realise there was a final third on the pitch.

There are many mitigating circumstances for Shanks' lack of goals. His job has been more one of tying down two defenders rather than scoring goals. For his own sake he's better away from Tannadice. That said, I want him to stay. We could do worse than look at Raith Rovers' reincarnated Louis Vaughn.

Very good summing up.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)