+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gary Neville

Gary Neville

He has been talking an awful lot of sense since the announcement of the ESL two weeks ago. He has highlighted the betrayal of the game of football by the rebel 6 and how this has ignited the simmering discontent amongst many fans about the way their clubs are being run. As he says these protests will all have been for nothing if reforms are not now made to the way the game is governed and clubs operate.

It will all come down to "He who pays the piper calls the tune" and, in spite of protests from fans etc. there are clubs involved who see the breakaway as a cash cow with guaranteed benefits.

It has gone away for now, however, I feel sure that it will rear its ugly head.

Interesting to hear the 'pundits' pontificating on Sky TV ------who started the whole descent into money mania in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post

Interesting to hear the 'pundits' pontificating on Sky TV ------who started the whole descent into money mania in the first place?
    I love this subject Sub, it could run and run. My view, for what it's worth, is that in the 80s and early 90s football was on it's uppers, our gates were down to around 3,000 for instance. Sky came in and saved football from financial ruin, they chucked enormous amounts of money at the game, the fact that football has not used that money wisely is not Sky's fault.

If my old aunt decided to give me £50k and I pissed it all away, I didn't use it sensibly, that would be my fault, not my aunt's.

I thought both Souness and Neville were right. Souness said the protests would have no effect on the Glazers whatsoever, and Neville said these people haven't gone away, they haven't given up, they're still planning and plotting and they'll be back, there needs to be rules and regs brought in to prevent any PL club walking away in future. Or walk away they will, it will only be a matter of when, not if.

I agree.Things always move on.They got their fingers burnt this time but they will be back and eventually there will be a European Super League.30 years or so later and it will be a world league probably with China wanting to dominate,how many people do they have who could subscribe to "Sky" or it's successor?Fans attending will be irrelevant financially.

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    Fans attending will be irrelevant financially.
    They're not far off that now Barrie, especially in our case, our 'gate money' is around £5/6 million out of a turnover not far short of £140 million. They don't really need us.

According to news this evening,investigations into the 6 clubs involved will result in some appropriate sanctions.
    I think a good idea for the 2021-22 season would be for all of them to begin the season -12 points plus a substantial fine.
    If that were supported by strong legislation it would be a fitting punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by DownThePlughole66 View Post
    According to news this evening,investigations into the 6 clubs involved will result in some appropriate sanctions.
    I think a good idea for the 2021-22 season would be for all of them to begin the season -12 points plus a substantial fine.
    If that were supported by strong legislation it would be a fitting punishment.
    I'm not sure they've actually committed any offence they can be punished for DTP, greedy, devious, scheming, duplicitous without a doubt, but you can't fine them, or deduct points for that.

The three London clubs along with the big three from the North West live in a world of private luxury jets, billion pound stadiums, huge turnover in money, high player salaries and billionaire owners, it's time we let them fly the nest and bring up six from the National League to replace them.

Next season would be as good a time as any. As for their idea of having the cake and eating it - forget it!

Attachment 18984

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)