+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: James Mcpake mistakes

James Mcpake mistakes

See he has admitted to making mistakes.

I wish managers wouldn't generalise like that, what's wrong with saying I've made a few mistakes a couple of my main ones were.....blah and blah.....but I've learned from them, give fans a wee bit more confidence.

Bizzarly admitting to mistakes but no really spelling out what they mistakes were makes me wonder if it's just something to say.

Think Hartley saying that he didn't know what to do to fix things was the comment that actually forced Nelms to act. Think McPake, in making his comment has managed to convey the impression that he has fixed things. The three draws before the final 2 victories against our eventual playoff opponents were very worrying. He never explained why Adam wasn't in the team and I thought that created a worrying impression that Adam was not selected for tactical reasons, rather than because he was recovering from covid and not 100%.

I
    Does it give the opposition a boost if they know that our best player is not going to be playing against them? Maybe saying nothing is better but it gives us Dees something to chatter about and those 3 draws could have been much more damaging than they proved.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Think Hartley saying that he didn't know what to do to fix things was the comment that actually forced Nelms to act. Think McPake, in making his comment has managed to convey the impression that he has fixed things. The three draws before the final 2 victories against our eventual playoff opponents were very worrying. He never explained why Adam wasn't in the team and I thought that created a worrying impression that Adam was not selected for tactical reasons, rather than because he was recovering from covid and not 100%.

I
    Does it give the opposition a boost if they know that our best player is not going to be playing against them? Maybe saying nothing is better but it gives us Dees something to chatter about and those 3 draws could have been much more damaging than they proved.
    Id say ph "i dont know how to fix it" was a resignation speech.

He dosent have to be player specific or even game specific just a couple of things that he has learned to do better.

Are ht team talks a bit better, we seem to come out better in the 2nd half, just more controlled.

Has he learned to act more quickly when things arnt going well.

There's lots of things he can speak about, he's still got to sell himself to the support, think of it it as a constant appraisal.

Some managers are quite good at it when asked the right questions after the game, they kinda go thru thought process for subs etc.

Ex well manager was quite good at it, Tommy the dinosaur Wright another and Derek McInnes.

I remember Alex McLeish 1st ever,or certainly onre of his 1st post match interview think it was at ibrox for Mwell, chic young if I recall....he was rambling on then admitted "I'm having a nightmare here"....and stopped the interview.....I thought he made the most of his communication skills in later years cause that first interview was a car crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    See he has admitted to making mistakes.

I wish managers wouldn't generalise like that, what's wrong with saying I've made a few mistakes a couple of my main ones were.....blah and blah.....but I've learned from them, give fans a wee bit more confidence.

Bizzarly admitting to mistakes but no really spelling out what they mistakes were makes me wonder if it's just something to say.

He admitted he shouldn’t have dropped Fin Robertson for the DABs game.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    He admitted he shouldn’t have dropped Fin Robertson for the DABs game.
    Yep good example.

Even if he wants to boast a wee bit about what he's done right......just gives you a wee bit better insight.

Yep good example.

Even if he wants to boast a wee bit about what he's done right......just gives you a wee bit better insight.

People who strive to be winners rarely admit weaknesses.

People who strive to be winners rarely admit weaknesses.
    Best manager I ever worked under (I wasn't easiest person to manage) admitted errors quite frequently quickly followed by "and this is how we will fix it'"

A woman as well.

Incredibly driven and determined but held hands up frequently.

Best manager I ever worked under (I wasn't easiest person to manage) admitted errors quite frequently quickly followed by "and this is how we will fix it'"

A woman as well.

Incredibly driven and determined but held hands up frequently.
    How do you know he doesn’t do that to players?

What goes on in changing room stays in the changing room.

How do you know he doesn’t do that to players?

What goes on in changing room stays in the changing room.
    I don't.

I just felt the sentence "I've made mistakes this season" was incomplete.....a couple of examples woulda been good......maybe journalist didnae probe for examples.....maybe em just a nosey ****.....the managers I named earlier weren't slow to discuss things......just now and again does no harm imho and keeps folk onside.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)