+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- Article on Barnsley's Moneyball Strategy

O/T:- Article on Barnsley's Moneyball Strategy

Probably not really needing the 'Off topic' designation!

A very interesting article on Barnsley's version of 'Moneyball' football club ownership/strategy. (Written mostly in Americanese)

This was a particularly eye-catching paragraph I noted...

"The third and final pillar to PMG’s Moneyball approach is a narrow focus on the acquisition of players—and coaches—who thrive in a “high-press” system. “Three years ago we decided if we’re going to have multiple clubs, we have to have one style of play because there are efficiencies between clubs and then you can move players around,” Conway said. By playing a relentless, attacking style, PMG believes it can be most competitive on the pitch. Most Championship teams don’t play the system because they lack the athletes to do so."

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/soccer/2021/barnsley-premier-league-promotion-1234628851/
    Last edited by SwalePie; 04-05-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Probably not really needing the 'Off topic' designation!

A very interesting article on Barnsley's version of 'Moneyball' football club ownership/strategy. (Written mostly in Americanese)

This was a particularly eye-catching paragraph I noted...

"The third and final pillar to PMG’s Moneyball approach is a narrow focus on the acquisition of players—and coaches—who thrive in a “high-press” system. “Three years ago we decided if we’re going to have multiple clubs, we have to have one style of play because there are efficiencies between clubs and then you can move players around,” Conway said. By playing a relentless, attacking style, PMG believes it can be most competitive on the pitch. Most Championship teams don’t play the system because they lack the athletes to do so."

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/soccer/2021/barnsley-premier-league-promotion-1234628851/

Thanks for sharing that Swale, very insightful, I particularly liked the last paragraph regarding the signing of players and casting a wide net to keep recruitment cost low, very interesting and a system I'm fully behind assuming this is the model our owners are working towards.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Thanks for sharing that Swale, very insightful, I particularly liked the last paragraph regarding the signing of players and casting a wide net to keep recruitment cost low, very interesting and a system I'm fully behind assuming this is the model our owners are working towards.
    Likewise. We need patience although that's tough to maintain after all we've been through this past few decades of course.