+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player ratings vs Sutton (H)

Player ratings vs Sutton (H)

Give these a try after a win for a change. For me, taking into account the circumstances going into the game and the strength of the opposition (who in fairness also played a decent game), this was comfortably our best performance of the season.

The main thing of course was the sheer effort and desire on display - particularly after the red - when a lot of the squad had been accused of downing tools. Even those with lower ratings below gave absolutely everything.

Slocombe - 7 - Can’t underestimate how important it is to have him back. One brilliant stop at 1-1, and composed in his handling and distribution throughout. Probably doesn’t get the credit he deserves due to his consistency, but must be up there for POTS.

Rawlinson - 5.5 - Gives everything and commitment can never be questioned, but just can’t play that wide CB role, where lack of pace/ball-playing ability are brutally exposed.

Ellis - 7.5 - Playing in the position Rawlinson would be better suited, but earning his place. Dominant in both boxes and again provided an attacking threat when it mattered, winning the penalty.

Chicksen - 7 - Composed on the ball and solid defensively. Has been comfortably the biggest winner of the managerial change, it’d actually be a surprise if he didn’t get a new contract now.

Kelly-Evans - 5 - Up against one of the best opposition players we’ve faced all season, it was a harsh lesson. Like Rawlinson, gave everything in the face of this but just couldn’t get to grips with him and should’ve been subbed long before his red card, which was a long time coming.

Reeves - 6 - Another who gave his all, and non-stop running was a big factor after we were reduced to 10, but was again wasteful in possession and a typically short pass led to the DKE red.

Doyle - 6.5 - Error led to their first goal and occasionally gave it away in dangerous areas, but also switched play well and was dominant after we went a man down.

Miller - 8 - The big surprise. Dominated his flank. Strong defensively and a box of tricks going forward, getting into positions to deliver dangerous crosses into the box. Understandable move to sub him when on a yellow but surely has done enough to start the next one.

Rodrigues - 9 - Arguably the best individual performance from any Notts County player this season. Had it all, an excellent goal, consistently creating chances, tireless running, tracking back defensively, and of course immense bottle to take the coolest of penalties with the last kick of the game. A travesty how he’s been used this season - time to build around him now.

Knowles - 5 - Couldn’t get involved. One ridiculous shot from 40 yards the only memorable contribution. Understandable decision to sub him at the break.

Wootton - 7.5 - Noticeably a different player after his long-awaited goal. Showed what a handful he can be after that, repeatedly pinning defenders and winning free kicks. Long may it continue.

Sam - 6.5 - Put himself about and added height/physical presence definitely freed up Wootton. Scored a goal which was wrongly chalked off.

Brindley - 7 - Shored things up down that side and also provided a regular attacking outlet.

Burchnall - 8 - What a start it’s been for him. Morale-zapping semi-final loss in his first game. Best player comes back and immediately gets injured. Not getting the points performances deserve (as illustrated by xG). And now his assistant has gone and got himself sacked.

Loses a point for not subbing DKE when the red was clearly coming, but all credit to him after that for staying positive with two upfront and Reeves and Rodrigues pushing on from midfield. Approach merited the win, and he more than anyone deserved that bit of luck that came with the late penalty. Was nice to see him smiling after - hope we can go under a run now.
    Last edited by freemuzzy; 05-05-2021 at 08:12 AM.

Good ratings that i'd agree with on the whole.

Knowles other contribution was the missed header after DKE had put it on a plate for him. I don't see him starting another game this season as, frankly, when he's had the chance he's failed to capitalise on it and is largely anonymous. At this stage in his career and for us, i see him as an impact player off the bench with 15-20mins left to play. I'd give Sam a start on Saturday.

I thought Wootton was a completely different player after he scored. I'd have probably rated him at 5.5 for first half and 8 for second, but think 7.5 overall is fair. His touch and control (that has been missing for weeks) returned and all of a sudden he's hanging on to the ball in good areas, showing neat touches and laying it off well. That was the player we all know. That goal will do his confidence the world of good.

Finally a note on Rodrigues. He has the vision and creativity that I've not seen in any other player in this division. If he can consistently perform like that, and alongside a fit Cal Roberts, the future looks very bright.

Thanks for posting that - couldn't see the game so good to read your ratings

Sums up the game perfectly....have you thought about applying for sports editor for our local rag?

I thought it was a fab game with attacking intent from both sides. I was a bit mystified why so many of our attacks were down the left hand side and why Sutton didn't try harder to stop Miller from a'sprinting and a'crossing, perhaps they were more concerned with stopping the crosses reaching Wootton. I wish Big Sam would look as if he were pleased to be there but I can understand his being miffed about that disallowed goal, it not only looked onside but It looked to me like the defender edged it in.

Sorry, no ratings from me as I'm about as good at that as I am at guessing the scoreline.

Good initial ratings I think....I’d just like to echo the OP’s thoughts on Slocombe being player of the season. Last night proved how much we’ve missed him and I’m surprised he’s had to drop to our level to find first team football.

Also agree with the good score for Miller last night. I’ve liked the look of him in a few games this year and although rather rash in defence at times he does have a swagger or nice arrogance and a directness about him.

Last night mirrored the Dagenham games in a lot of ways, let’s just hope that over the next few games we can find that level of performance again...it was the first time we have looked like promotion contenders in a long time, perhaps all season.

Quote Originally Posted by for*sttown63 View Post
    Sums up the game perfectly....have you thought about applying for sports editor for our local rag?
    Seconded! Excellent report, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Reeves - 6 - Another who gave his all, and non-stop running was a big factor after we were reduced to 10, but was again wasteful in possession and a typically short pass led to the DKE red.

Doyle - 6.5 - Error led to their first goal and occasionally gave it away in dangerous areas, but also switched play well and was dominant after we went a man down.
    Yesterday convinced me more than ever before that these two can't play together, because they're very similar players. Both of them are primarily deep-lying playmakers who like to get on the ball and pass it, but what we need is one of them accompanied by a high-energy, midfield ball-winning "rat" who will help either Reeves or Doyle to screen the defence and press the opposition. Think the National League equivalent of David Batty, and we need two, to give the squad proper death and absorb the number of games we have to play. That way, we stand a better chance of winning the midfield battle and giving the ball in the right parts of the field to the likes of Rodrigues, Boldewijn, Roberts and Sam.

Doyle and Reeves are not energetic or proactive enough defensively, and they lose the ball too often in bad areas, which is why we often seem to expose the lack of pace in our back four or five. The truth is we probably also need a pacey centre-half and two experienced strikers to accompany Wootton and Knight next season, but the greatest priority is without doubt two real midfield "animals", as Mo Ross rightly said before he went.
    Last edited by jackal2; 05-05-2021 at 05:39 PM.

Agree that they are disappointingly too similar which I wasn't expecting when we signed Reeves.

Also agree with what need alongside or more accurately in front of him. Is a Non League David Batty also a better version of Mitch Rose?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Is a Non League David Batty also a better version of Mitch Rose?
    Yes. Two other great historic examples might be our own Paul 'Pitbull' Harding or a player I always liked even though he never played for us: Andy Hessenthaler. An absolute bundle of tackling energy. If we can get a tall version of one of these, even better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast