+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Player ratings vs Sutton (H)

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    what we need is one of them accompanied by a high-energy, midfield ball-winning "rat" who will help either Reeves or Doyle to screen the defence and press the opposition.
    Good post Jackal, but I hope you were being diplomatic using the 'or' there
    Haven't we handicapped ourselves enough by putting a 39 year old in the engine room all season when a side needs to be in the top 2 of 24 to get out of this league?
    People like Doyle, I do too. I would be very happy if he helped coached us to success over the next few years. And his role in the latest shenanigans is very commendable, being there (according to the Mirror piece) as captain for a team mate who had been maligned like that. But please guys, let's not handicap ourselves by planning to build around a 40 + midfield general next year, NL or L1.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Good post Jackal, but I hope you were being diplomatic using the 'or' there
    Haven't we handicapped ourselves enough by putting a 39 year old in the engine room all season when a side needs to be in the top 2 of 24 to get out of this league?
    People like Doyle, I do too. I would be very happy if he helped coached us to success over the next few years. And his role in the latest shenanigans is very commendable, being there (according to the Mirror piece) as captain for a team mate who had been maligned like that. But please guys, let's not handicap ourselves by planning to build around a 40 + midfield general next year, NL or L1.
    Yes I suppose in the back of my mind I was allowing for the possibility that Doyle might stay next season as a player/coach and a back-up to Reeves in the deep-lying playmaker role, but we certainly shouldn't be relying on him game in, game out. Reeves would have to be the first option, if indeed we don't sign a direct replacement for Doyle if he retires outright.

Assuming we will play a three man midfield, which I think Burchnall will probably prefer, then to cope with the number of games we'll effectively need six midfielders:

Two Deep-lying playmakers (Reeves and Doyle or a younger version)

Two midfield animals (positions vacant)

Two attacking central midfielders (Rodrigues and A N Other)

If we play a two-man midfield then we're effectively shoe-horning Rodrigues into a role that doesn't suit him, or leaving him out entirely, which is unthinkable.

Yeah I'd be happy with Doyle as a player-coach, with the emphasis on coaching and filling in here and there like Alan Smith did in his last season with us.

That way we'd keep the old head in the dressing room, but get rid of the old legs in the engine room. And Doyle gets to gain experience of coaching at a club he knows well where he already has the respect of the dressing room. Sounds like a win/win.

Don't let Leigh Curtis hear you say that about Rúben da Rocha Rodrigues.

Would a fit Roberts suit the other AMC position? Or is he noticeably better out wide?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Don't let Leigh Curtis hear you say that about Rúben da Rocha Rodrigues.

Would a fit Roberts suit the other AMC position? Or is he noticeably better out wide?
    Roberts could play any attacking midfield role he liked with his ability, but I like the idea of Roberts, Rodrigues and Sam playing as an attacking midfield three behind Wootton, in the knowledge that the two defensive midfielders are solid enough to do the job. The thing with Sam, Rodrigues and Roberts is that they can all carry the ball and all carry a goal threat when they attack the box, so it means you can play one centre-forward without putting him under too much pressure to do all the scoring.

I like the look of a 4-2-3-1 something like this:

-------------------------------Slocombe

Brindley/DKE------Rawlinson---------Lacey----------Chicksen

---------------------Reeves-----------(Animal TBC)

Roberts----------------------Rodrigues----------------Sam

-----------------------------Wootton

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Roberts could play any attacking midfield role he liked with his ability, but I like the idea of Roberts, Rodrigues and Sam playing as an attacking midfield three behind Wootton, in the knowledge that the two defensive midfielders are solid enough to do the job. The thing with Sam, Rodrigues and Roberts is that they can all carry the ball and all carry a goal threat when they attack the box, so it means you can play one centre-forward without putting him under too much pressure to do all the scoring.

I like the look of a 4-2-3-1 something like this:

-------------------------------Slocombe

Brindley/DKE------Rawlinson---------Lacey----------Chicksen

---------------------Reeves-----------(Animal TBC)

Roberts----------------------Rodrigues----------------Sam

-----------------------------Wootton
    Looks great to me. But wow, Ardley had that and was playing close to it and somehow messed it all up.
    Some tweaks/additions - to be top 2 from 24 we have to be a dominant attacking force so a left-back who can overlap, assist and score, as well as defend would be good. Chicksen's solid but hasn't shown us that.
    That 'Animal TBC' would have to be a great signing, and not 3 players edging our bets hoping to find one...
    Great back-up for Wootton so we can replace him or go 2 up front whenever we need to change it up.
    And Enzio still around please, as another match-winner in the squad
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 05-05-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Looks great to me. But wow, Ardley had that and was playing close to it and somehow messed it all up.
    True, when we were all looking at the squad at the start of the season it seemed nailed on for me that 4-2-3-1 would be our formation for most games. It's not my personal favourite to be honest, but the personnel screamed out for that formation. I couldn't believe Ardley didn't know his best formation and team, and how much tinkering he did to suit the opposition.

Unlike when Keith Curle tried to play 4-2-3-1 years ago, the attacking midfielders listed above have genuine goal scoring ability and Wootton is a bigger goal threat than Yoann Arquin ever was. In fact, I'm convinced that one of the reasons Wootts has struggled fir goals recently is because our other main goal threats haven't been on the field and it has put too much pressure on him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12