+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next season- What do we need?

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    I know my answer is not quite what the topic requested, but I feel the team need someone that can come off the bench and change the game.

Jack Clarke and Nketiah when we had them, would come on for last 30 mins or so and would work a piece of magic that might get you something from the game. At the moment I don't think we have that. I had hoped Pablo would be that person, but its not worked out that way this season.
    Clarke only did that until people worked out his one skill. Agree on Nketiah, hell he isn't getting a game at Arsenal I'd have him back on a permanent/loan with view to buy and train him up as number 2 to Bamford for next season.

Judging by the Brighton game we need a bit of height in the squad - Lorente and Bamford are not the smallest of players but we look short at times

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    Clarke only did that until people worked out his one skill. Agree on Nketiah, hell he isn't getting a game at Arsenal I'd have him back on a permanent/loan with view to buy and train him up as number 2 to Bamford for next season.
    Maybe we could get a multi buy discount if we try and buy Tierney as well - he has been one of their best players by far.

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    Judging by the Brighton game we need a bit of height in the squad - Lorente and Bamford are not the smallest of players but we look short at times
    Brighton are a team of freakisly tall players though, their entire back line is over like 6ft 3 apart from White

Clarke only did that until people worked out his one skill.
    I always thought it was more to do with him not being the same player after suffering that mystery illness mid game?

After what in my eyes has been a fantastic first season back what do we need in terms of additions/development for next season. I think a lot of players have stood up well this season to the rise in quality but I do think for that next step some just need to move on or be moved to second choice, we've suffered this year with lack of depth particularly in midfield and that was woefully highlighted against Brighton with us having Roberts, Klich and Koch in our midfield which just didn't work.

Team for next season:

GK: Meslier/ Caprile (Happy with this tbh, unless there is a youngster out there we have our eye on/ someone older with experience to guide Meslier and drop in when necessary.

LB: ??????/ Huggins (I'm hoping Huggins is good enough to be the genuine back up here, obviously we have Dallas but Dallas can't be cover for every position on pitch, this is our biggest weakness when we have our strongest team out and needs addressing)

CB: Llorente/ Cooper (No complaints here, good options with Cooper as back up, providing he is happy with that role)

CB: Koch/ Struijk (Again, happy with these two, don't know who is better yet so switch either round though I think with game time at CB Koch would show his class, Struijk still has lots to learn but is a big player for the future)

RB: Ayling/ Drameh (I'd love Drameh to step up here, I don't want wholesale signings and would rather youngsters stepped up and again Dallas could step in to this position)

CDM: Phillips/ ?????? (***** we get someone in here, preferably someone who can play this role and more advanced when needed, we've lost 6 out of 9 without Kalvin this year not necessarily just because he isn't there but because nobody can play that role, we gambled a little on Forshaw coming back but that is never happening so needs addressing)

CM: ????? / Klich/ (An area we have really struggled with imo this year, Klich I think is suffering impact of a lot of football and we need someone there to support him)

CAM: ?????? / Roberts (Again a key area, I just don't rate Roberts, I think he will be a good player but not good enough for what we need, happy for him to be back up and keep playing as I think he is trying to improve but I'm just not convinced he has the quality, he shows odd flashes but I rarely watch him and think he is changing a game like Pablo did for example)

LW: Harrison/ Gelhardt/Summerville? ( think harrison has the potential to keep getting better, he has shown it this season and has been a bit off at times but I think a large part of that is playing with Roberts/ no Phillips who don't get ball to him, in terms of support I'd hope Gelhardt can step up but I don't know if Bielsa sees him as ready, same with Summerville)

RW: Raphinha/ Poveda/ Costa (Fairly happy with this, I think Costa gets a bad rap at times but as a back up I'm fairly happy with him, however if we got an offer for him I'd sell and trust in Poveda/ rest of our youngsters)

ST: Bamford/ Rodrigo (Really not sure here, I guess Rodrigo is the one to support the midfield but if he is we need a new striker for when Bamford is off the boil like he has been and I don't think Greenwood is ready yet, but I'd rather we stuck with this than sign 5/6 new players)

In my eyes we need 3 crucial additions at left back, attacking midfield and someone who can play both the Klich role and drop back to play the Phillips role when needed. Outside of that my hope would be that kids can step up and fill in. I have not included Dallas in any positions as for me as I see him as cover for everywhere and an essential cog in our team.

Players to let go:
    Alioski- We all know his time is up, great character, great effort but this league is beyond his talents

Pablo- Sad but its the end, doesn't get the game time. That said, I'd love him to stay and do bit parts in the team and guide likes of Gelhardt and eventually become a coach but I'm not sure he wants his career on the pitch to finish quite yet.

Forshaw- I really see no point in him staying next year, even if he got fit I didn't really think he was good enough before for PL. Love the guy but time to move.

Berardi- Hope he gets a game before end of season, club did well by him getting him fit but again just time to move on he has a lot more left in his career to let it dwindle by on our bench.

Casilla- Not arsed here, if he wants to stay and keep being number 2 then fine but other than that I'd get rid.

Leif Davis- Just not seeing it from him, fallen out of picture completley, get him out on loan.

Jamie Shackelton- I've never been overly convinced by him, he works hard and has lots of energy and is a good footballer but I've never quite got what he is best at. Maybe a loan move, he needs full season football.

Helder Costa- If we had someone else coming in and someone offering a good fee for him I'd let him go.

Overall I don't want to see wholesale changes, maybe 3 additions 4 at most and then let 6 players leave who just aren't in the picture. I would love Pablo or Berardi to stay as I think they're good pros and good for the club but I wouldn't want to hold them back.

My aim for next season would be 10th-7th
    Really excellent post. Probably because it’s almost identical to my thoughts !
    Further to agreeing all points I wonder as MB likes to use his squad if he will use One of the CBS to cover KP so they are not on the bench. I believe we need at least one strong top class midfielder who can cover KP and play further forward as stated in OP but not sure how much we will spend to cover every area.
    Regarding striker I just can’t think of anyone who would play the MB way like PB does. That’s the big issue for me rather than just saying we need something more. I would also be happy if Rodrigo got a full season as attacking mid or striker if PB is out.
    So defo a new LB of top quality. At least one powerhouse class midfielder and then something to add in attack, ideally with pace and quality.
    Moving on several players if possible will be very important in bringing in what we really need. So agree with the OP on that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer999 View Post
    Really excellent post. Probably because it’s almost identical to my thoughts !
    Further to agreeing all points I wonder as MB likes to use his squad if he will use One of the CBS to cover KP so they are not on the bench. I believe we need at least one strong top class midfielder who can cover KP and play further forward as stated in OP but not sure how much we will spend to cover every area.
    Regarding striker I just can’t think of anyone who would play the MB way like PB does. That’s the big issue for me rather than just saying we need something more. I would also be happy if Rodrigo got a full season as attacking mid or striker if PB is out.
    So defo a new LB of top quality. At least one powerhouse class midfielder and then something to add in attack, ideally with pace and quality.
    Moving on several players if possible will be very important in bringing in what we really need. So agree with the OP on that also.
    Give him long enough and MB could convert most to play that way. Che Adams, Callum Wilson, Tammy Abraham (not that Chelsea would sell) Ollie Watkins etc could all play that role and all have pace too

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Give him long enough and MB could convert most to play that way. Che Adams, Callum Wilson, Tammy Abraham (not that Chelsea would sell) Ollie Watkins etc could all play that role and all have pace too
    You have a valid point but :
    1 Would players come in the first place who don’t fancy the style
    2 more importantly are any of those clearly better than PB ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)