+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hypocrisy of UEFA

The hypocrisy of UEFA

Criticising the greed of the Euro Super League against a background of two English teams playing the final of the UEFA tournament several thousand miles away in a city which is arguably not even European (Istanbul) takes the biscuit.
    Costs in air travel, spread of the virus, putting broadcasting and TV right in front of accommodating the fans.

Popcorn time. A few things I do not know. When was the location of the final decided? What sponsorship and endorsement surrounds it. And so on. This is nothing new and as everyone knows the only reason UEFA and pretty much anyone else involved at a high and important level in the game criticises the super league is that it threatens their own income streams. All of them are cut from the same cloth some of them just have more influence over how much cloth they get.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Criticising the greed of the Euro Super League against a background of two English teams playing the final of the UEFA tournament several thousand miles away in a city which is arguably not even European (Istanbul) takes the biscuit.
    Costs in air travel, spread of the virus, putting broadcasting and TV right in front of accommodating the fans.
    England is not in Europe!!!
    What difference does it matter where the game is played? These teams have travelled all over Europe to play games to get to the final
    Last edited by irishpete; 06-05-2021 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    a city which is arguably not even European (Istanbul)
    I don't think I know anyone who would start the argument that Istanbul isn't in Europe, but if they did I'd fancy my chances of winning it!

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    What difference does it matter where the game is played? These teams have travelled all over Europe to play games to get to the final
    Correction, Pete. England is most definitely in Europe but it's not in the European Union.

As for Driller - yes, Istanbul just about makes it into Europe but please think Covid too even if fans aren't allowed and what the virus is like at Europe's furthest reaches.

I think the final stadium was probably selected a long time before the finalists were known. But it was never likely that a Turkish side or near neighbours would be contesting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    I think the final stadium was probably selected a long time before the finalists were known. But it was never likely that a Turkish side or near neighbours would be contesting it.

Keep the protests down, lads, or the leccy might well be switched off on the night of the final.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Of we're not in Europe then where are we and when did we move

Are you suggesting Sid letting 16k English fans loose in a Covid hotspot is bad ??!!

Lets be honest Sky BT Neville are just as bad as UEFA all been talking out their harris last few weeks.

One example Neville billionaire owner mate is destroying Valencia but not a mention of it just bury your head and tell all the lapdogs that only Glazers and Ashley are bad bad owners !

UEFA have told Sky/talksport this morning that it will take place in Turkey, end of story.

It felt silly enough when Chelsea and Man United had to go all the way to Moscow in 2008 and it can never be right that a finalist can end up playing in their own country, or even in their own ground (Roma 1984 springs to mind). In my fantasy world, they'd build a super stadium in Switzerland, the Wembley of the European mainland, and you could hold both European finals there every year as well as Switerland's national team games and that Euro internationals league thing, whatever it's called.

I'm not confident though that UEFA, European club football or even international football has much of a future. We're probably going to return to normal in the short term, but looking ahead to the world we've entered into during this past year, I can foresee restriction of travel rendering none-domestic tournaments virtually impossible or financially in-viable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast