+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bob Beamon

Bob Beamon

Remember him at the Mexico Olympic games?
    Bob Beamon wasn't his real name, it was Robert.
    He set a long jump record that they said would never be beaten in our lifetimes, but it was broken just 23 years later, by Mike Powell who's real name was Michael, though he might answer to Mikey as well if you are family.
    Yes sir, some people are put on the planet to become engineers, artists, architect's, scientists and explorers, and some are good jumper's.

Powell’s record has lasted 7 years longer than Beamon’s jump which was aided by the thin air in Mexico.

The record I think will last the longest is Bolt’s 100m record, it’ll never be beaten by a smaller bloke with shorter strides, it’ll need to be someone of his sort of range and build.

Easily the greatest athlete of all time for me, athletics seems lost without him.

Seb Coe’s 800m record of 1.41.73 stood for about 16 years, for me Coe was the second best pure athlete in history.

It’s still the third fastest time in history.

His 1500m gold medal in Los Angeles in 84 is one of the most powerful and majestic races in history, his ability to sprint off a fast pace was just mind blowing, I’d have loved just one race in his shoes.

https://youtu.be/4_knoba0woA
    Last edited by mickd1961; 06-05-2021 at 06:12 PM.

They say records are there to be broken, but when it comes to athletics surely someone will set a record that will never be broken?
    Otherwise you will have sprinters faster than Cheetah's and high jumper's the equivalent of human flea's.
    Roger Bannister did the four minute mile which was deemed impossible at the time, but that has been smashed many times over.
    It won't be in our lifetimes but one day athletes will set records that will last for all time.
    As for Beamon, I was thir**** at the time and was astounded that someone could jump that far.

They’re never the fastest or best are they because there are faster people, longer jumpers etc who never enter the olympics. I always think there is some tribesman somewhere who is super fast but doesn’t have either the inclination or financial backing to be eligible. It’s a privileged arena, but not the full story 😉

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    They’re never the fastest or best are they because there are faster people, longer jumpers etc who never enter the olympics. I always think there is some tribesman somewhere who is super fast but doesn’t have either the inclination or financial backing to be eligible. It’s a privileged arena, but not the full story 😉
    Bizarre to think the greatest guitarist who ever lived may never be known to the world because they never played for anyone but themself ..........

..........which clearly rules you out then Boingy 😊 .

I have never played Rugby like many who didn't go to a Grammer school.
    There could of been many good players who missed out like a lot of sports

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Powell’s record has lasted 7 years longer than Beamon’s jump which was aided by the thin air in Mexico.

The record I think will last the longest is Bolt’s 100m record, it’ll never be beaten by a smaller bloke with shorter strides, it’ll need to be someone of his sort of range and build.

Easily the greatest athlete of all time for me, athletics seems lost without him.

Seb Coe’s 800m record of 1.41.73 stood for about 16 years, for me Coe was the second best pure athlete in history.

It’s still the third fastest time in history.

His 1500m gold medal in Los Angeles in 84 is one of the most powerful and majestic races in history, his ability to sprint off a fast pace was just mind blowing, I’d have loved just one race in his shoes.

https://youtu.be/4_knoba0woA
    I think Carl Lewis rates above Usain Bolt. 9 olympic golds, 8 World championship golds across 4 disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by df46 View Post
    I think Carl Lewis rates above Usain Bolt. 9 olympic golds, 8 World championship golds across 4 disciplines
    As a pure athlete nobody touches Bolt.

There’s very strong suspicions that Lewis was on drugs as well, his eye whites were as yellow as Ben Johnson’s for a long period.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Bizarre to think the greatest guitarist who ever lived may never be known to the world because they never played for anyone but themself ..........

..........which clearly rules you out then Boingy 😊 .
    😂

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)