+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Warne may resign

Warney he hasn't got that Evans/Warnock mentality to be a manager proved that when he moved to the away dugout. Could you see either of them moving dugouts cause of call it personal issues. If we are relegated time for a change, fresh ideas.

Interestingly PW used the word ambition in the interview in the star. Is that a subtle nudge to TS? Maybe. Is that someone laying the foundations to step aside and have a go at another project? I'm not so sure.

I do think that we need to have more ambition on the pitch, we've spoke about it many times but we need to be bolder and braver on the ball. Not saying be reckless but be ambitious, our approach sometimes makes the simple game look so difficult.

To that end I think PW could and should be doing better. We haven't got the best players in the league by any stretch but our sheer inability to play simple football is not good enough. At this level it just isn't good enough. The coaching staff need to be more ambitious in that respect whether or not that have been backed adequately. Irrespective of backing we MUST be able to play football.

Has PW been backed enough? There is a strong case for no. Loan signings being the worst area. Free agent additions have actually done well. Wes, Viktor and Angus have all had a positive impact. Our best 2 loan signings we have only had for half a season (Giles and Wing) and the others have been largely ineffective. This however is impossible to judge PW on because we don't know who he is looking for, what brief the scouts have, which players we have turned down in or missed out on because of a few extra quid. I don't blame him for recruitment, others need to appreciate they haven't done well enough. Whether that be TS or scouts.

If PW were to leave then I'm not convinced he would get a better job. Someone mentioned Huddersfield. When they have a clear footballing philosophy and approach with their style and managerial appointments how on earth would PW stand out as a candidate?

I think, under the financial limitations, he has done an excellent job overall in the grand scheme of things. My major gripes are the lack of footballing intent and playing players in bizarre positions. As gripes go however these can be worked on. If PW wishes to adopt a more footballing approach (whilst not trying to be Man City) then it is a yes from me. If he doesn't think he has the skills to manage a team who can play football at times then I'm not so sure.

Just like some of our players, he needs to develop his game and I hope he does.

[QUOTE=gru;39773605]Warney he hasn't got that Evans/Warnock mentality to be a manager proved that when he moved to the away dugout. Could you see either of them moving dugouts cause of call it personal issues. If we are relegated time for a change, fresh ideas.[/QUOTE)

It was Warnock actually who first cited the dugouts situation, saying he can’t understand why would you have the away dugout nearer the away fans…

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Warney he hasn't got that Evans/Warnock mentality to be a manager proved that when he moved to the away dugout. Could you see either of them moving dugouts cause of call it personal issues. If we are relegated time for a change, fresh ideas.
    Utter bollax

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    TLC, Go on then give us an example of someone taking the piss because he's a throughly decent person.
    Really ?
    Come on Brin,get real,it happens all the time,in fact pretty much since it became obvious what type of manager/person he is,the snidey remarks,and at times downright abuse he gets,simply for being someone who wants proper people around him,apparently this is a weakness as a football manager and a man.

It's all about opinions in the end.

For my ten pence worth I think PW is a decent manager for us and will probably keep with us for the immediate future. Having said that it's a commitment to more of the same, beans on toast for every meal.

If we could do a swap I would have Neil Warnock or somebody in that vein, a manager with a tougher streak of man management.

Basically no more Mr Nice Guy

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    It was Warnock actually who first cited the dugouts situation, saying he can’t understand why would you have the away dugout nearer the away fans…
    It was also because of the linesman, they didn't want him/her in front of the away management team and being influenced by them in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    It was also because of the linesman, they didn't want him/her in front of the away management team and being influenced by them in the second half.
    Absolutely right gf, but gru doesnt let the truth get in the way of linking something that he can use to show PW in a poor light UTM

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Really ?
    Come on Brin,get real,it happens all the time,in fact pretty much since it became obvious what type of manager/person he is,the snidey remarks,and at times downright abuse he gets,simply for being someone who wants proper people around him,apparently this is a weakness as a football manager and a man.
    TLC, being a nice man who likes proper people around him does not make him a weak person, he is who he is and that's his mannerism and why he's so likeable. Looking at his Managerial side, he's too soft, well thats how I see him. I don't believe he's got a growl in him when wanting more from his players as his nature doesn't allow it and it shows both on the pitch and through our results.

Richie Barker, he's the growler and probably gets up some players nose'. Chalk and Cheese as a Management duo and as much as most accept them, they and the team need to show better football, more commitment and more output and we wouldn't be where we are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Criticism, or as others see it as constructive feedback, applies to ANY football Manager Paul Warne is not unique in his role.

It comes with the role he's in and that he should expect some flak whilst doing it. Like someone previously posted, if he wants to see awful vitriolic abuse look at what happened to Stubbs at Barnsley, even if we were playing poor and going nowhere but down, that was unwarranted and uncalled for.

There's been far too much cotton wool protection wrapped around Warne by his faithful flock when constructive criticism was due for his failings at certain times of the season. I'm sure even Warne recognises that. If he were to walk away for that reason only, then he's a poor character.

I don't for one minute thing Warne will walk if we're relegated unless it's to another club like Donny, low expectations, little money and the odd promotion to keep them happy. The real truth underneath all of this IF he walks, is because he hasn't been given the financial backing that the role demands in the championship but, Warne is too polite to say anything like that about Stewart.
    That's fair comment Brin about constructive criticism, and as you know I'm a big PW fan but I have been disillusioned by most performances in recent weeks and I wouldnt totally put it down to just playing a lot of games in a short spell, because he has used everyone he could on a sort of rota basis.
    When we won at Middlesbro the other month, the performance was a mixture of long ball, getting 2nd balls but also plenty of good passing, and great energy, and I thought that was how it was going to be.
    Unfortunately we went into another bout of covid, and other than on a couple of occasions we have looked lethargic and even unable to do the basics properly. I do think we need to look at our way of playing and at the very least just look to surprise teams with quick free kicks and throw ins, however we have a nail biting, squeaky bum game tomorrow, and i am certain Wednesday will beat Derby, i just hope we turn up on the day UTM

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast