+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrewsbury, the end of the season and hopefully an end to no fans.

Shrewsbury, the end of the season and hopefully an end to no fans.

Well.... I keep hearing that "there's nothing to play for..." etc but there's always PRIDE. If not in the team, then surely in one's self. It would've been nice to be there, especially as Pixie is leaving and also as a possible boost to the team to finish on a high. At the moment I don't know who's long-term/short-term injured or who has a niggle that kept them out of the last game so it's difficult to predict what might happen. I'm sure that Harry will care about the result but what about the others? For me, if we could put out the team that played away at Charlton, I'd be happy. I don't particularly want youngsters thrown in unless we're already winning by a comfortable margin. So not worried if a couple or so are on the bench. If we can have the team that played against Charlton, then, despite the possibility that Shrewsbury will play differently from the Addicks, I would predict 3-1. If we mess about with the team or have too many loanees in, then I'd go for a 0-1 loss.
    Finishing on a win would help for next season. We have a new board and Chair with lots of plans who were unlucky to take over just before a pandemic, which must have dampened their enthusiasm a little. It may even be nice in our first fixture next season to be directly introduced to the 'new' board.
    So, if the pandemic, does come under a level of control where it's safe for us to go to a football match that is similar in atmosphere to a sense of 'normality', it would be really good to push for the biggest attendance possible for our first home game. The fans can recruit and the club could also instigate some kind of 'welcome back' gesture that may entice more people to come. A presence in the town (square?) would be very welcome. (or a short term let of one of the empty shops!!!)

So fingers crossed for a good entertaining game tomorrow....and a win!

I think Dave will want to finish the season on a high and, as you suggest, the team will want to do something special to speed Pixie on his way. Shrewsbury don’t tend to win marks for artistic impression so I’m not expecting a feast of football, but I am expecting a comfortable win, even at the ungodly hour of midday on a Sunday!

So 2-0 to the Alex, the big question being if we get a pen if and when the game is won, does Pixie get to take it? He can’t do much worse than the last effort we had, naming no names in case I get accused of victimisation!

Ah but will Dave go for a starting XI of "academy" players (?)
    Think we could win this really comfortably - going for 5-1 ...

Ah well, same old, same old.
    Question: is it better to give possession away in your own half or the opposition's?? Things started off really well, moving the ball around and forward quickly but after we went 2 up, we started to slow down and there was a lot more backward and sideways passing.
    Lowery has hardly put a foot right and Lancashire has been caught out twice....and Daniels injured again.
    So let's see if anything changes in the 2nd half.

Good to see that Will and the CHs saw a way out and bypassing the midfield by sliding it up to Mandron. As Peter Morse said, if the opposition are crowding on our CHs and midfield from our goal kicks, then must be leaving space elsewhere. The job is to find that space and use it. Hopefully they'll bear that in mind for next season. In the end a bit of work down that left side led to the tap-in for Porter who hopefully will get one more year (if he wants it!) as he's got the knack of being in the right place.
    Happy for Mandron to finish on 14. He's worked hard for that. I'm not saying anything about Charlie as he's a sensitive lad and people will think I'm picking on him. Lowery had one of his poorer games and seemed unable to control the ball as well as usual. Dale reminded me of the Dale of last season. Perhaps all the awards went to his head. Beckles still did not inspire confidence. It was interesting when Wintle went to CH, possibly as Morse said, to have a surer foot playing out of the back, that every time he was given the ball by Will or Beckles he instantly squared it to Beckles again, thus blowing the theory out of the water.
    Adebisi found himself under pressure a lot of the time but managed okay.
    substitutions also told us something about Lundstram taking Wintle's role for next season. Finally, in terms of players, just a short cameo from Finney but in that short time he reminded me of how frustrating he can be with his decision-making.

So 12th is a pretty good place to finish in our first season back, in the top half of the table. Hopefully DA has a good lot of business in the close season to protect our status for the next season.
    Happy Summer everyone (not that I won't be on here during that time

Some real end-of-season scores today in League 1!!
    Great to see Lundstram and Finney given a runout, and pleased for Mandron to get a brace.
    After 'breaking-down' yet again is that Daniels last game for the Alex (?)

Nice to finish with a win. Two more assists for that frustrating player(Kirk) who always seems to make the wrong decisions. Oh how wrong can some supporters be? Really surprised that DA chose to put such a physically weak midfield out. Ainley was ineffective and how did Lowery manage to stay on the pitch for 80 minutes.

When we put Murphy on Lundstrom looked better and improved as time went on. Possibly a good midfield prospect. Physically stronger than the two midfielders who started the game, and some good passes.

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Some real end-of-season scores today in League 1!!
    Great to see Lundstram and Finney given a runout, and pleased for Mandron to get a brace.
    After 'breaking-down' yet again is that Daniels last game for the Alex (?)
    Given he was probably concussed not necessarily - still under contract too if he can get fit I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    Nice to finish with a win. Two more assists for that frustrating player(Kirk) who always seems to make the wrong decisions. Oh how wrong can some supporters be? Really surprised that DA chose to put such a physically weak midfield out. Ainley was ineffective and how did Lowery manage to stay on the pitch for 80 minutes.

When we put Murphy on Lundstrom looked better and improved as time went on. Possibly a good midfield prospect. Physically stronger than the two midfielders who started the game, and some good passes.
    They came on at the same time ..

Lowery had a relatively poor game (Lukcour, I repeated this so you would take note!) I have been provoked into saying something about Charlie - He showed good skill and judgement to pick out Mandron for the 1st goal. I know technically he gets an assist for the 3rd goal but........? However, I do give Charlie credit for the work down the left that led to his shot that eventually ended up at Porter's feet. But.....
    how many times did he misjudge his angles when running on to the ball from a drilled pass? How many times did an attack break down when his thought was to get rid of the ball when he was closely marked. How many times did he make risky passes across our own back line? It's the details with Charlie. If he could manage those little things (and commit himself in a tackle, occasionally) he would become the great player we know he can be. The frustration comes from him not fulfilling his own potential!
    Hopefully, I've made myself clear enough for everybody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast