+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Squad for next season

Current Squad for next season

As we are now with players leaving etc, this is our current squad depth for next season. Have included a few of the younger ones that you'd expect to be fully involved during pre-season, giving them a chance to prove their worth.

Goal keepers:
    Benji, Deniz, Newman

Right backs:
    L Smith, Freeman, Cooney, Davidson

Left backs:
    Robson, Sporle

Centre backs:
    Edwards, Reynolds, Connolly (inj), K Smith, Neilson, Graham

Centre midfielders:
    Butcher, Fuchs, Harkes, Hoti

Attacking midfielders:
    Pawlett, Mochrie, Meekison, Glass

Wingers:
    Chalmers, Fotheringham

Strikers:
    Shankland, Appere, Clark

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't think I've missed anyone major. Lots of youngsters filling up spaces there. In an ideal world you'd want two solid players in every position. I think a winger is top priority for us this season and if we only sign 1 player then it has to be a winger.

After that, do they put trust in the young centre backs at the club? 3 of them are there and two have shown that they can play in this league, but consistency is key for these guys and they are yet to prove that. With Connolly out, if Edwards or Reynolds were to get injured you are playing a dangerous game. But then having Butcher there too gives us options.

Fullbacks I would love us to upgrade but I can't see it happening. Same with defensive midfield.

The club have a decision to make around that attacking midfield position. Mochrie and Meekison are there but are so young. Pawlett, Harkes and Clark can all play there but none of them seem to excel in that position.

As for strikers, currently we have 3, but I'd like someone who can get in behind and has a real bit of pace about them. Not easy to find though.

Overall I think its clear we need to strengthen in a few areas. Hopefully the club acts early to bring players in and have identified target that they've been working on behind the scenes. Hoping at least 1 of the young players that hasn't had too much exposure can really step up this coming season and be a regular in the first team.

Would say a central midfielder and a left sided winger should be the priorities. I think as a squad we are set up for 4-2-3-1, so a striker would only be needed if Shankland goes.

I wouldn't bring in a centre half, unless the rumours about Reynolds retiring are true (or if big bids come in for Smith/Neilson in the summer).

Quote Originally Posted by BackRowArab View Post
    Would say a central midfielder and a left sided winger should be the priorities. I think as a squad we are set up for 4-2-3-1, so a striker would only be needed if Shankland goes.

I wouldn't bring in a centre half, unless the rumours about Reynolds retiring are true (or if big bids come in for Smith/Neilson in the summer).
    It is a risky game going into the season with 2 experienced centre backs. but if K Smith and Neilson are as highly rated as they say, they might put some trust in them. I still think Ross Graham could offer us something next season. Left-sided centre back, nice balance with Edwards, big laddie, could be a surprise package.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    It is a risky game going into the season with 2 experienced centre backs. but if K Smith and Neilson are as highly rated as they say, they might put some trust in them. I still think Ross Graham could offer us something next season. Left-sided centre back, nice balance with Edwards, big laddie, could be a surprise package.
    Don’t forget that you can add Butcher to the list of experienced CBs. I very much hope that as Fuchs continues to develop, the need for two ‘sitting’ midfielders reduces as in the last couple of games where it was just Jeando we were very much more offensive in style with the loss of one defensive mid freeing up space for a more attacking player. Moving forward much as I’m a fan of the Butch, he may well develop more into a squad player as cover for central defence and midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Don’t forget that you can add Butcher to the list of experienced CBs. I very much hope that as Fuchs continues to develop, the need for two ‘sitting’ midfielders reduces as in the last couple of games where it was just Jeando we were very much more offensive in style with the loss of one defensive mid freeing up space for a more attacking player. Moving forward much as I’m a fan of the Butch, he may well develop more into a squad player as cover for central defence and midfield.
    True mate. I think especially if we sign a deeper lying creative midfielder this summer then we could see Butcher at centre back more often if required. But I suppose it makes sense giving youth a chance considering we have 3 or 4 highly rated centre backs at the club. There would be no point in the club having 4 or 5 experienced centre backs when its one of the areas of the Academy that appears to have produced some real prospects.

Maybe we'll see a game next season with K Smith and Neilson in the centre? Or those 2 either side of Edwards in a back 3? Would leave me a little bit worried but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    February away at Fir Park Butcher partnered Edwards at CB, absolute bombscare lucky to be only 2-0 down at HT. Honestly he's not the answer to cover CB injuries or suspensions.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    As we are now with players leaving etc, this is our current squad depth for next season. Have included a few of the younger ones that you'd expect to be fully involved during pre-season, giving them a chance to prove their worth.

Goal keepers:
    Benji, Deniz, Newman

Right backs:
    L Smith, Freeman, Cooney, Davidson

Left backs:
    Robson, Sporle

Centre backs:
    Edwards, Reynolds, Connolly (inj), K Smith, Neilson, Graham

Centre midfielders:
    Butcher, Fuchs, Harkes, Hoti

Attacking midfielders:
    Pawlett, Mochrie, Meekison, Glass

Wingers:
    Chalmers, Fotheringham

Strikers:
    Shankland, Appere, Clark

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't think I've missed anyone major. Lots of youngsters filling up spaces there. In an ideal world you'd want two solid players in every position. I think a winger is top priority for us this season and if we only sign 1 player then it has to be a winger.

After that, do they put trust in the young centre backs at the club? 3 of them are there and two have shown that they can play in this league, but consistency is key for these guys and they are yet to prove that. With Connolly out, if Edwards or Reynolds were to get injured you are playing a dangerous game. But then having Butcher there too gives us options.

Fullbacks I would love us to upgrade but I can't see it happening. Same with defensive midfield.

The club have a decision to make around that attacking midfield position. Mochrie and Meekison are there but are so young. Pawlett, Harkes and Clark can all play there but none of them seem to excel in that position.

As for strikers, currently we have 3, but I'd like someone who can get in behind and has a real bit of pace about them. Not easy to find though.

Overall I think its clear we need to strengthen in a few areas. Hopefully the club acts early to bring players in and have identified target that they've been working on behind the scenes. Hoping at least 1 of the young players that hasn't had too much exposure can really step up this coming season and be a regular in the first team.
    Hearts will spend.
    Killie will improve under Wright, he knows a player.
    Motherwell the same.
    If it's the Fun, derbies are unpredictable
    To me, as it stands we have a bottom 4 squad.
    Over to you Tony. Pre season 17th June (I think)

Tick tock

Sevco
    Sellik
    Hibs
    Aberdeen
    Hearts
    St Johnstone
    Motherwell
    Kilmarnock
    Livingston
    St Mirren
    United
    Ross County

That's the stark reality we're facing unless we strengthen in several areas and start to play joined up football. I'm not being negative because I like it but I've said several times we are facing a more difficult league next season. We need players in.

Quite a lot of folk made the same observations last year...

I think it is a tougher league too. I'd say our priority is a creative midfielder and winger, a different type of striker to what we have just now would be nice too, but that if we lose our best player over summer in Siegrist then that position becomes a priority.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)