+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    Gru makes a good point regarding Cooper and Kayode. I really hope they're fully integrated into the first team squad next season. They could be the energetic spark we all need come August.

Depending upon who leaves, we've got the makings of a good squad. It doesn't need a massive overhaul. It does need, in my opinion, a re-think tactically.
    Sadlier I forgot as well. Warney didn't know how to play him he could fill the Crooks role. Summer window is when you've got to cash in. Could get up to bout £3 million for Crooks. Millertop how many have you seen Cooper play? bout same as me start of last season in league 1? Let's see what he can do.

I'd be surprised if any cship clubs pay decent money for any of our players.

Semi and Vaulks were the real deal and played well game after game. Our current crop are too inconsistent and miss loads of chances.
    There,s likely to be interest from the bigger L1 clubs though

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Sadlier I forgot as well. Warney didn't know how to play him he could fill the Crooks role. Summer window is when you've got to cash in. Could get up to bout £3 million for Crooks. Millertop how many have you seen Cooper play? bout same as me start of last season in league 1? Let's see what he can do.
    I think someone has got up too early today…

Perhaps it is too early to be talking about next season but I guess looking forward helps to ease the disappointment so there is nothing wrong in that. One thing I will say is that if the bulk of this squad with a couple of astute additions play with the same effort,intensity and commitment as they have this season they have to be a force to be reckoned with.The gap between the 2 divisions is huge as we all know through the years of 'yo yoing'! On the other hand if we are struggling then Im afraid questions have to be asked. Paul Warne et al may be cut some slack in the Championship but you have to take the opposite approach in League 1.This team were just agonisingly short of the tiny margins of error to being in a comfortable Championship position.That should NOT be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Yes Gru a few times but I stand by that he won’t be ready for us next season, obviously it would be great if he was but I can’t see it, not writing him off but he needs a L2 club to start him off

Barlaser will go. I can't believe he hasn't got a relegation clause in his contract The others who will go are tree smudge, ladapo robertson and olasunde and dont be surprised if one of our young lads go. So that is a fair chunk on top of the 4 loaness who are going back. I would like us to try to keep Giles if we can on loan cos I think he would excel in league 1.

We will have a decent core but the perennial prob of getting a decent forrud could still be an issue. I agree with Grumps I think the defence will be decent particularly if we can hang on to Giles.

I wunt get shut of SMac as long as he is fit you need an old head in CM in league 1. Wood should be player coach. Defensive?

I see the remaining squad as

Johanson, Vickers
    Harding, Goose, Icky, Wood, Tilt, Mattock, Clarke, Cooper
    ogbene, Wiles, Lyndsay, SMac, Gratton, Kayode, Miller, Sadlier

Notice no forruds and there could lie the problem. People talk about putting Kayode up front but Carlisle have obviously seen his best place as a winger. We may do the same.

How much will we get in for the players who leave? If its true Derby are after Ladapo and they actually have some money I think they are daft enough to pay up to a couple of million for Ladapo. Smudge and Tree will go for 1.5m each. If one of our starlets go it will be owt up to 2.5m. So what I'm basically saying we should get at Least about 4.5 to 5m in but then we will need 7 players in assuming we can have a 25 man squad.At least a couple will need to be forruds and we know they don't come cheap. If Warne is still here hemay go for another Smith type option from the lower leagues ie try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear which he did quite well with Smudge.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 09-05-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Barlaser will go. I can't believe he hasn't got a relegation clause in his contract The others who will go are tree smudge, ladapo robertson and olasunde and dont be surprised if one of our young lads go. So that is a fair chunk on top of the 4 loaness who are going back. I would like us to try to keep Giles if we can on loan cos I think he would excel in league 1.

We will have a decent core but the perennial prob of getting a decent forrud could still be an issue. I agree with Grumps I think the defence will be decent particularly if we can hang on to Giles.

I wunt get shut of SMac as long as he is fit you need an old head in CM in league 1. Wood should be player coach. Defensive?

I see the remaining squad as

Johanson, Vickers
    Harding, Goose, Icky, Wood, Tilt, Mattock, Clarke, Cooper
    ogbene, Wiles, Lyndsay, SMac, Gratton, Kayode, Miller, Sadlier

Notice no forruds and there could lie the problem. People talk about putting Kayode up front but Carlisle have obviously seen his best place as a winger. We may do the same.

How much will we get in for the players who leave? If its true Derby are after Ladapo and they actually have some money I think they are daft enough to pay up to a couple of million for Ladapo. Smudge and Tree will go for 1.5m each. If one of our starlets go it will be owt up to 2.5m. So what I'm basically saying we should get at Least about 4.5 to 5m in but then we will need 7 players in assuming we can have a 25 man squad.At least a couple will need to be forruds and we know they don't come cheap. If Warne is still here hemay go for another Smith type option from the lower leagues ie try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear which he did quite well with Smudge.
    Tilt get shut. S Mac get a manager in who doesn't want hangers on in the dressing room then he'd be gone.

On subject of squad size didn’t the league bring a rule out for no bigger than 20 in lower divisions if so this is going to be a delicate balancing act and if true can’t be handing out contract renewals to sicknotes like Robertson and S Mac
    I know there’s no guarantees but as regards recruitment we really need to be looking at past appearance records as one of the main criteria for new signings

Wasn’t it the wage cap that got rescinded and I think they were reviewing squad size to 25?

I’ve previously mentioned this but god knows which thread it’s on so here it is again.
    Squad size

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56666478.amp

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast