+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current squad.

Current squad.

Obviously too early to call in terms of what we’re going to be able to afford to bring in over the summer, but equally obviously...sticking with the current squad is only going to lead to another season of struggle.
    So...who of the current squad, including loans, do we keep and hope to build around?
    Who do we keep and who gets the horrible but necessary ‘thanks, but no thanks’ message?
    Given that the all important Bielik is unlikely to be available before next January, how important is that midfield enforcer/leader that...Bielik’s sporadic appearances apart...we seem to have been missing for ever.
    Thoughts?

Basically we need a new squad
    Marshall and Roos - both need to go
    Clarke needs to go back - Can't head a ball properly, slows our play to a crawl
    Forsyth - needs to go now to one footed and has lost his pace
    Byrne - to small, another full back who can't tackle
    midfield - we haven't got one
    Up front - we lack pace Waghorn and Kazim not the answer
    Joziak could be ok in a better team
    all the other loanee's can go back also
    In a nutshell we have big problems - reports today say the takeover funds have not arrived. looking in doubt

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    Basically we need a new squad
    Marshall and Roos - both need to go
    Clarke needs to go back - Can't head a ball properly, slows our play to a crawl
    Forsyth - needs to go now to one footed and has lost his pace
    Byrne - to small, another full back who can't tackle
    midfield - we haven't got one
    Up front - we lack pace Waghorn and Kazim not the answer
    Joziak could be ok in a better team
    all the other loanee's can go back also
    In a nutshell we have big problems - reports today say the takeover funds have not arrived. looking in doubt
    Looks like CKR - he’s already been signed - Wisdom, Jozwiak and maybe some of the youngsters then, Eddy.

Personally I like Byrne...good footballer.

Allegedly, the EFL have asked Alfonso to deposit a significant sum in a secure account to show proof of fund and he has not responded after two weeks nor contacted the EFL though has supposedly assured MM that the takeover remains on track!
    So, next season's recruitment is gonna be on hold indefinitely probably meaning that all the 'good uns' are long gone! It's the Derby Way you know!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Allegedly, the EFL have asked Alfonso to deposit a significant sum in a secure account to show proof of fund and he has not responded after two weeks nor contacted the EFL though has supposedly assured MM that the takeover remains on track!
    So, next season's recruitment is gonna be on hold indefinitely probably meaning that all the 'good uns' are long gone! It's the Derby Way you know!
    I remember back to the days when we had Lionel come in
    He chucked a fair bit of cash at it, eventually we got promotion
    A complete new squad came in

If we patch work what we have with free's and loans another season of doom

When you think back to only recently when McClaren nearly did it, all but for jammy QPR who stopped us
    When you look at that squad, we are million miles away and that was only a play off squad

Does anyone have a full list of perms (with contract lengths) and loanees for us all to rubbish? Sure we had one last year

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Does anyone have a full list of perms (with contract lengths) and loanees for us all to rubbish? Sure we had one last year
    It’s not about ‘rubbishing’ individuals imo, AF, but the type of list you speak of would be useful.
    For me the likes of Sibley, Bird and, to a lesser extent, Knight have all gone backwards this season but there may be extenuating circumstances for such young players in such a chaotic season.
    We know we’re keeping CKR and Jozwiak and I’d also be keen to see Wisdom, Byrne and Buchanan stay.
    Of the rest I’m indifferent at best as to whether they stay or go...and then there’s Marriott...wonder who he wanted to see win yesterday?
    A fit Marriott is a definite asset and had we been relegated I’d have definitely wanted to keep him as a proven League One goal scorer. At Championship level I’m not so sure but he might work well in partnership with CKR. Sure he’s got another year on his contract left but can anyone get him fit enough to manage more than half a dozen consecutive games?

We also need a leader...Curtis Davies seems to be the only natural leader currently at the club and, even if he stays, I suspect fitness and age might mean that his appearances next season will be very limited.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 09-05-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It’s not about ‘rubbishing’ individuals imo, AF, but the type of list you speak of would be useful.
    For me the likes of Sibley, Bird and, to a lesser extent, Knight have all gone backwards this season but there may be extenuating circumstances for such young players in such a chaotic season.
    We know we’re keeping CKR and Jozwiak and I’d also be keen to see Wisdom, Byrne and Buchanan stay.
    Of the rest I’m indifferent at best as to whether they stay or go...and then there’s Marriott...wonder who he wanted to see win yesterday?
    A fit Marriott is a definite asset and had we been relegated I’d have definitely wanted to keep him as a proven League One goal scorer. At Championship level I’m not so sure but he might work well in partnership with CKR. Sure he’s got another year on his contract left but can anyone get him fit enough to manage more than half a dozen consecutive games?
    Apologies for failing the flippancy test rA.

I'd hold onto Edmundson too, I think he shows a lot of promise and would make a good DM as well as CH in my view

Agree with most of your 'assessments' although Shinnie woud be top of my list of 'keeps', I think when Bielik returns they could be a bloody good midfield

Knight never stops running but neither does my dog and I wouldn't pick him either, Bird IMO is a backward passing liability, Sibley burned bright but brief and we should have capitalisedon that hat trick by selling him a year ago

Clarke is a shadow of his former self and Forsyth just looks like a dead man walking when he gets picked (Sorry Craig you've been great)

Keep Davies for cover and leadership, keep Wisdom and decide where to play him

Marriott, I'd let him go

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Apologies for failing the flippancy test rA.

I'd hold onto Edmundson too, I think he shows a lot of promise and would make a good DM as well as CH in my view

Agree with most of your 'assessments' although Shinnie woud be top of my list of 'keeps', I think when Bielik returns they could be a bloody good midfield

Knight never stops running but neither does my dog and I wouldn't pick him either, Bird IMO is a backward passing liability, Sibley burned bright but brief and we should have capitalisedon that hat trick by selling him a year ago

Clarke is a shadow of his former self and Forsyth just looks like a dead man walking when he gets picked (Sorry Craig you've been great)

Keep Davies for cover and leadership, keep Wisdom and decide where to play him

Marriott, I'd let him go
    Apologies, forgot Shinnie...yes, I agree...and Edmundson has been the best of Rooney’s signings. Don’t doubt Bielik’s quality or commitment, just concerned about him being Thorne Mk2. Type of player to build a side around but only if he can get and stay fit. Still only 23...but so was Thorne when he left and I think he’s made about six appearances in the last three seasons.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 09-05-2021 at 04:48 PM.

It's a clean slate, little in the way of expensive dead wood. If we're given funds, surely a manager's dream. This close season is probably the most important in the last 14 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)